What pisses you off? Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Just flicked on the today show while I have coffee and caught some Qld cop talking about the crash and youth crime, oh my god I wanted to stand and applaud.

Lock em up! Yes!

Get theagencies who look after young kids to do their jobs, intervene at 3-4 so the parents can’t **** em up, he’s talking repeat offender patents who in his world could not look after a brick!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Easy to talk tough, but is he actually proposing anything tangible in terms of policy? Child protection work is pretty damn hard as it is, and the decision to take children away and place them in state care (for instance) is one with serious and far-reaching consequences. The challenge is to be able to provide adequate and situationally appropriate support for parents and children alike, and there's a lot of work that needs to go on behind the scenes for that to be effective.

Here are some suggestions that could help address these problems:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-02-04/ ... /101928856

Otherwise, the idea of punishing parents for children's crimes is idiotic, and anyone who suggests that as a solution isn't worth paying attention to on this topic.
Last edited by David on Tue May 02, 2023 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

You do realise that there are parents who train and/or force their children to commit crimes don't you? Punishing them is idiotic you say?

Honestly, people need to get out and amongst these situations that are going on. The ignorance of some commentators/politicians and the general public is astounding.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

God FMD Centrelink are hard to deal with.

I just wanted to report that I had access to my super now and had taken out a lump sum, which I assume would impact my current payments.

Can't report income using the App as you need to list an employer. I'm not employed, so bit the bullet and called up. 1 hr, 20 minutes in total, 1 hr 15 minutes of that on hold.

After 20 minutes, got a guy who registered my voiceprint (for the 4th time), but couldn't help me with my query so transferred me. The next 50 odd minutes was listening to the shit hold music while doing other stuff on the computer. Finally this poor woman came on the line, her voice sounding like she'd had the day from hell. She asked me how I was and I told her I'd nearly lost the will to live after an hour of hold music, and she actually laughed, which was good. Lifted the mood of the conversation.

She wasn't able to actually help me either, but did show me where to go in the Centrelink part of the Mygov portal . Couldn't tell me either whether I'll lose Centrelink or have t reduced, as it all goes through the system, I have to put the details in and computer decides.

What a shit system, it's purpose built to ensure that by the time a caller gets through to a person, they're frustrated and agitated and the poor sod on the phone cops it. Luckily I'm a lot calmer than I used to be and had no interest in abusing the person on the phone ,never have really, I always try to be nice as I know they have a shit job, it's just easier now to be nice.

What an absolute cnut of a system though
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

It's a shocker and even the online reporting is shit. When I started working it wanted me to report my income, once I hit full time hours it wouldn't allow me to put it in online as it was above the 30 hours a week. So a couple of weeks went by and they cut it due to non reporting!

I didn't have a Centrelink office in our town and couldn't really spend hours of my work day on the phone to them, eventually I tried ringing at 8am before going to work, finally got off the phone after 9am and was an hour late to work that day.

But the whole problem is anytime you actually visit an office they tell you that you should do it online, yeah, I wouldn't be there if the online shit worked!!!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

It's a typical Government system, $@&^#. They want to push you to do everything online, but the online platform is shit.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ They don't actually want you to do anything, except give up and let them cut off payments. They'd be appalled to find that people could get off hold after an hour or so - the KPI target is to keep people waiting for days and, if possible, humiliate them into starving quietly.
David

Post by David »

Agree 100%, P4S. Terrible that the system hasn’t been improved and that the new government doesn’t see it as a priority.
partypie

Post by partypie »

If it’s non urgent, maybe write them a letter. If it’s within the required timeframe of notification you’ve done the right thing and you’re not ruining your day hanging on the phone. It’s not your fault they don’t have enough staff.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

David wrote:Agree 100%, P4S. Terrible that the system hasn’t been improved and that the new government doesn’t see it as a priority.
Which is quite remarkable given how often they commented on it whilst in opposition and said it needed fixing and payments increased.

Yet with the power to do it all, they’ve done absolutely nothing.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Having to be the neighborhood noise police. I do get its hard for people to find time to do home reno work, but the borough council here is very clear on noisy Sunday work (like cutting concrete, of all things). I don't even mow on Sundays and I've got a quiet little electric job.

But this is the second time I've had to tell people in two weeks. Two of the three people in the offending group were apologetic, but there's always one. "I work all week, when am I...." Me: "Yesterday, from 8am to 1pm".

Anyhow, I tried to smooth it over by saying I don't think people would care if a bit of noisy stuff was done quickly, I know it's a public holiday tomorrow, etc. Not a huge deal, I just wish I wasn't the one who had to do it! It's a great little street generally, but a few houses have changed hands of late, and they probably don't twig just how tight the houses are here.

Interestingly, since I've said that everything they're doing is quieter, which I guess shows they could've done that from the start and no one would've minded.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive

Post by think positive »

Check your brakes before you drive off tomorrow!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

partypie wrote:If it’s non urgent, maybe write them a letter. If it’s within the required timeframe of notification you’ve done the right thing and you’re not ruining your day hanging on the phone. It’s not your fault they don’t have enough staff.
After going in ever diminishing circles online, that's what I've done. I just typed up a letter, printed and signed it and tomorrow morning I'll whack it in the post. Old school.

It's not my fault that their IT system is shit.