Transgender politics and social issues

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Marketing isn't about what's right and wrong.

Woman can and do drive Ford's F-150, but you wont see ads featuring woman.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

this its the optics!
the can has a pic of the person with a moronic smile! anyone who thinks a redneck would be seen drinking it is nuts!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

It was about six weeks ago that Holly Lawford-Smith first noticed the posters and stickers around campus. ONLY A FASCIST TAKES ‘FEMINISM’, declared one, the message printed boldly atop the pink, blue and white stripes of the trans flag. Another named the associate professor of philosophy and urged a boycott of her second-year feminism class: ARE YOU ON THE SIDE OF THE FASCISTS?

Lawford-Smith, a self-described gender-critical feminist and author of a book by the same title, has grown used to being targeted by trans rights activists. A prolific writer and pugnacious tweeter who openly challenges the priority given to gender identity in public policy, she accepts that expressing these views invites opprobrium.
Interesting article I thought. The Uni walks a fine line between Academic Freedom and what Students (and other faculty) want.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/clas ... 5d5vr.html

In the article, one Trans person is quoted as saying there's nothing wrong with the course as such, but it shouldn't be taught by Lawford-Smith.

My simplistic view is that a university should foster diversity of opinions. If people don't like it, don't take the course but don't prevent it being taught or those who are interested in taking it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote:
It was about six weeks ago that Holly Lawford-Smith first noticed the posters and stickers around campus. ONLY A FASCIST TAKES ‘FEMINISM’, declared one, the message printed boldly atop the pink, blue and white stripes of the trans flag. Another named the associate professor of philosophy and urged a boycott of her second-year feminism class: ARE YOU ON THE SIDE OF THE FASCISTS?

Lawford-Smith, a self-described gender-critical feminist and author of a book by the same title, has grown used to being targeted by trans rights activists. A prolific writer and pugnacious tweeter who openly challenges the priority given to gender identity in public policy, she accepts that expressing these views invites opprobrium.
Interesting article I thought. The Uni walks a fine line between Academic Freedom and what Students (and other faculty) want.

In the article, one Trans person is quoted as saying there's nothing wrong with the course as such, but it shouldn't be taught by Lawford-Smith.

My simplistic view is that a university should foster diversity of opinions. If people don't like it, don't take the course but don't prevent it being taught or those who are interested in taking it.
I guess it’s the same debate as when Sheila Jeffreys was still lecturing at University of Melbourne, except that Lawford-Smith gives her fundamentally likeminded politics the thin veneer of respectability offered by the "gender critical" label.

To be clear, I’m all for diversity of thought and ideas in universities, and everything to do with transgender identity should be a valid topic for critical discussion in that setting. But rather than focusing on intellectual critique of gender identity, people like Lawford-Smith tell on themselves by spending their time on Twitter fixating on tabloid scaremongering about rapists in women’s bathrooms. So complaining about vitriolic posters and stickers on campus aimed at an academic strikes me as a bit of a "can dish it out but can’t take it" mentality that flies in the face of the idea (and storied history) of universities as places of vigorous intellectual contestation. I wouldn’t expect Charles Murray to get a warm reception at most universities either.

The facts are that her job isn’t on the line, and nobody is stopping her from teaching what she wants to teach. The problem, according to the article, is that there are posters on campus calling her course fascist, naming her and pleading for students to not take her course. So this strikes me as typical TERF "crybully" behaviour from Lawford-Smith and her awful British allies: complaining about freedom of speech and academic freedom issues when nothing of the sort is under threat, accusing trans activists of being authoritarian for calling them names, yet retaining their soapbox unhindered.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:

Yep. Agreed.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
Dark Beanie
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

This is getting ridiculous now:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... 20700f52a4

If a company wants to use a non-binary or transgender model, put the items under a unisex heading not women's.

Plus it is using a skinny stick as a model.

FMD, if the advertisers are after controversy they certainly got it.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Well now who employed the Bud Light ad execs.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

You're male, as am I, the angst is seemingly coming from women. No CIS required, just natural born women. Neither you or I have the right to judge their opinions.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Well I for one won’t buy a swimsuit with crutch bulge!

Or is labia lip injections the new go to in cosmetic surgery!

And following the links:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/cycling/i ... 1dd8057dd9

Read the comments of the women who missed out on a place in the official team. Exactly what I have said all along.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:^

You're male, as am I, the angst is seemingly coming from women. No CIS required, just natural born women. Neither you or I have the right to judge their opinions.
Bravo and **** I totally detest that CIS shit!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

A lesson that seems to be continually unlearned by many, if you want to gain acceptance into a tribe/club, insulting the current members ain't your best start.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

The world's gone mad. Full on looped out.
Ya gota laugh.
Don't count the days, make the days count.