What made you happy today? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

think positive wrote:Junior is a PE teacher at a very multicultural school in truganins, a genuine hard knocks school. Last year at the inter school cross country, she got the kids to an all time high of 6th. This year she got them training early, with strategies in place. Today was the day. One of the local catholic schools has won every year since the shield was produced in 2018, so 5 years straight.

At the presentation someone told her to move the 19 kids closer to the stage. She didn’t hear her schools name before 5th so was disappointed not to reach last years standard. Then the catholic school was called in 2nd place much to their shock! And you guessed it, Junior and her motley crew took home the shield! That’s 19 kids who will never ever forget that moment of a win no one expected. I’m so fricken proud of her right now! I could bust!

And then my eldest called me from Disneyland Tokyo, and told me she got woken at 4.30am by an earthquake!

It’s been quite a day!

Go Cait!
That’s fantastic news. Well done her for getting the kids up.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Thanks mate, they had a special assembly yesterday and all the kids were so puffed up! I think I told a story last year when she started about Sudenese family of nine kids, the 3rd youngest was sent home the first day of prep for hitting teachers.

2 of the boys, grades 4 and 6 were in the team. All of their teachers have told her of the difference she has made in their lives. That’s so special.

She asked the headmaster for funds for a cup to celebrate the house colour winner of the year (in grade 6 she was red house captain and they won the trophy, yes I cried when they called it!) the headmaster said spend what you need!

I knew she would change lives and She is!

Cheers mate Thankyou xx
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
KenH

Post by KenH »

Not much beats a teacher that is a role model and one that can shape and guide a young person life for the better.
I hope she has a long and happy career for if she does she will help out a lot of young lives
Cheers big ears
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

think positive wrote:Thanks mate, they had a special assembly yesterday and all the kids were so puffed up! I think I told a story last year when she started about Sudenese family of nine kids, the 3rd youngest was sent home the first day of prep for hitting teachers.

2 of the boys, grades 4 and 6 were in the team. All of their teachers have told her of the difference she has made in their lives. That’s so special.

She asked the headmaster for funds for a cup to celebrate the house colour winner of the year (in grade 6 she was red house captain and they won the trophy, yes I cried when they called it!) the headmaster said spend what you need!

I knew she would change lives and She is!

Cheers mate Thankyou xx
That’s just marvellous TP.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Great stuff TP.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

thanks guys xxx

i'm so proud of her!!!
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by Skids »

That is awesome TP.

Well I'm happy that Jess (my youngest 23) and her boyfriend Darcy got their van all finished and it turned out a treat.
They went for a 'test' run down south last week, came back Saturday and spent Mothers day here.

Saying goodbye this morning as they head North and not knowing when I'll next see them again left me being a big sook as they drove off down the road.

Me 'n Kel will probably work out a quick flight up to the NT when they're there for a catch up, but geez, it's hard watching them go.

* My sook level is rated as extreme by Kelly & the girls, ever since I cried at the Dolphin show at Seaworld many years ago :)
Don't count the days, make the days count.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

crying at a Dolphin show? Seriously?

That's sook level 11 defintely.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

Stui, you must have a heart of stone. :lol:

(In all seriousness, I can't imagine being emotionally moved by sea creatures personally, but perhaps it's one of those "had to be there" things!)
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Heart of stone indeed. During my psych sessions we "discovered" that I'm not great with handling emotions. When under stress I have developed the ability to turn them off which while usefull as a short term protective mechanism, doesn't work beyond that.

I told her that I have the emotional range of a teaspoon. She laughed. I'm working on it.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Anyway, up in toc enjoying the sunshine. :D

Got up yesterday lunchtime, unpacked and quick shop for dinner, home and mowed the front yard. This morning got the NBN tech coming between 8 and 12, so up early, short 3.5km walk, some breakfast and shower all before 8am. Tech doesn't arrive til 10am, of course.

40 minutes later, NBN connected, FTC, 55mbs over WIFI which is pretty good. Mowed the back yard in Jeans and a singlet, bit of gardening, lunch, load of washing, now sitting out the front in the sun playing some vinyl records. :D
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:Stui, you must have a heart of stone. :lol:

(In all seriousness, I can't imagine being emotionally moved by sea creatures personally, but perhaps it's one of those "had to be there" things!)
https://theconversation.com/blackfish-h ... mme-161775
Skids

Post by Skids »

I'm sitting on the bird, about to take off back to work.
Feels great to have all the tests done, questions answered and a plan in place.
I can't thank everyone enough for their support, you're all legends
think positive

Post by think positive »

[quote="Skids"]I'm sitting on the bird, about to take off back to work.
Feels great to have all the tests done, questions answered and a plan in place.
I can't thank everyone enough for their support, you're all legends
Skids

Post by Skids »

Got totally blown away yesterday.
One if the sparkies let slip about an email going around site.
The receptionist Brooke (a lovely magpie fan too), has sent an email to everyone explaining my upcoming operation and extended time off work. She has got people to 'donate' one of their sick or annual leave days to cover me for my time off.

Old blubbering booby here broke down in the smoko room, such a wonderful gesture by my workmates and very humbling.