Things that make you go.......WTF? Part II

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:
think positive wrote:Thank whoever for ring cameras!

My daughter is in Japan, she just rang and said someone is hanging around her place, I said hit the siren, so she did! Video shows a bitch about to have a look in her letterbox.

I was out the door in my pjs so hubby came too! The person was gone but the ferals next door on the corner, facing the other street if you know what I mean, had a heap of cars out front. We made a bit of noise out front, I had my phone to my daughter on speaker. We checked everything and hoped in the car. Drove past the ferals, saw them in the garage, said to my daughter, was she wearing a puffer jacket and a ponytail, she sent me the video, yep the neighbour! I thought she looked a bit sheepish!

So tomorrow I’ll go put a lock on her letterbox, and walk passed the neighbours slowly a couple of times!

Yes bitch we can see you!
I bought 2, picked them up just before from the post office on the way home. Just waiting for the first one to charge so I can finish the setup. How long do the batteries last before they need recharging?
Months! The door bell about every 4-5 months, the chook shed a bit more often.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Cheers, with how long they take to charge, they'd want to. FMD, 5 hours so far.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Be cheaper and more effective surely to just flash your ring the next time the neighbours come snooping at your opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pByk8G1GwUU
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Got camera No1 set up and working. FMD they're good. Easy to set a boundary and picture quality is brilliant. Walked out into the driveway to test the motion sensor, got an immediate buzz on the phone, motion detected in your driveway, click on the link and there's me. Damn.

Showed Mum, she doesn't understand it but is stoked, having it makes her feel safer when I'm not here and if she face plants in the driveway picking up the newspaper when I'm not here, I'll know.

I think I need a few more of these things.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
think positive

Post by think positive »

stui magpie wrote:Got camera No1 set up and working. FMD they're good. Easy to set a boundary and picture quality is brilliant. Walked out into the driveway to test the motion sensor, got an immediate buzz on the phone, motion detected in your driveway, click on the link and there's me. Damn.

Showed Mum, she doesn't understand it but is stoked, having it makes her feel safer when I'm not here and if she face plants in the driveway picking up the newspaper when I'm not here, I'll know.

I think I need a few more of these things.
Hehe they are addictive!

I have a mix of battery and plug ins,
Tip!
Take time to name them properly.
Ie street or town name, then room, so they are in order, because you will want some at toc too! They land alphabetically

Also, use the sticker on the window, thieves look for the softest target, the kids were too young to spot the sticker or cameras, and Nicole didn’t have a sticker on her window or visible cameras. My view is make the house next door look easier to rob!

I have a motion camera operated spotlight pair over the gate at the holiday house, covers the driveway and backyard, front door bell and one in the garage. Plus a pet cam that is only on if we take the dogs there and go out.

Why in the garage? Because theives won’t look for a camera there, and garage doors can be a soft entry point, rolleror access door. , once they are in there, they can easily gain access to the house without being seen! Or so they think!

Oh and use the geofence, or every passer-by will trigger it!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Did the geofence, cheers for the naming tip.

Been playing around with the settings, updated the "disarmed" setting to turn off motion detection and alerts so during the day when I'm home they won't get triggered.

Love the privacy option where you can build your own blindspot.

Got 2 set up out the front, one at the front door and one looking up the drive which covers the car(s) and anyone who goes to the roller door needs to walk right past it.

When I go up to Toc, I'll turn them on and Mum feels really safe.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

The question on my mind is: do I just live in such a hovel that nobody would think of burglarising us, or are aspiring thieves casing the property on a regular basis without my knowledge? :lol:

It would never even occur to me to set something like this up, tbh. Then again, I’m not sure what we have that anyone would even want to steal…
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

My initial thinking in putting the one in the driveway is to (hopefully) get a discount on the car insurance and contents insurance.
think positive

Post by think positive »

David wrote:The question on my mind is: do I just live in such a hovel that nobody would think of burglarising us, or are aspiring thieves casing the property on a regular basis without my knowledge? :lol:

It would never even occur to me to set something like this up, tbh. Then again, I’m not sure what we have that anyone would even want to steal…
Had a ford ltd stolen from high point about 20 years ago, then a commodore from outside a pub in Yarraville. When we built here building stuff was stolen, we got a doorbell camera with a screen in the kitchen. Then hubby’s work Ute got broken into, we got 2 front cameras. Then someone stole the car trailer from the empty block next door that we fenced off. Smart buggers broke the fence on the other side so we couldn’t see it. Not so smart though, they were caught in Romsey when the cops chased them as they had a stolen Range Rover on it and a stolen ATV on top of the Range Rover! They had cut the tyre rack off the front of the trailer and during the chase the tyres exploded from the weight and the rims disintegrated! Bought 2 more cameras, one looks over the block, another the other side of the house! oh and trailer locks!!

We got great vision of 3 shitheads on Christmas night stealing tools from an unlocked locker on the work Ute last year. Now the camera has better night vision and a motion sensor light. Hubby has now got a Ute with central locking on the tool boxes and he actually uses it!

The ring cameras have alerted me to kids trying to get into our beach house, and now my daughters mailbox, and her house is just a spec home type, not fancy. If the bitch got my daughters bank statements for instance, or other documents, that’s a start for stealing identity. It was her damn neighbour!

As I said, don’t be the softest target in the street!

They aren’t expensive, and yes you get a discount on insurance, they are a deterrent, they are peace of mind, not just against theft but personal safety. Have you not seen the footage of house invasions? yes it still happens, but you have a chance of catching the pricks.

Our neighbour has an expensive vintage GT, he put a removable lockable Ballard in front of it in his garage! Brilliant!

Your partners DSLR and gear got stolen? I think you said it was about $3K worth? do you have a TV etc? how would you feel if your extensive DVD collection, including the old irreplaceable classics you love, got stolen or destroyed for fun?

basic doorbell ring camera is only 2-3 hundred bucks, you can check who is at the door, and speak to them! you could say come back later im about to get in the shower, but you could be at the back of Bourke!

I find it funny people will put $10K of camera gear in a $50 dollar bag!! Even my camera day bag has slash proof lining, and theft inhibiting locks! Actually, so do my handbags! I highly recommend the Pacsafe brand!!!

We also have traffic cameras in our cars!
David

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I had 2 WTF moments driving home from Toc yesterday.

The first was shortly after I passed a truck. I set the Cruise control on 100kmh and kicked back, then I notice that truck growing in the rear view mirror. By the time we get to the next overtaking lane he's sitting right on my tow bar like a scene out of Duel.

As soon as we hit the overtaking lane he pulled out to pass, but he's only going slightly faster than me so he starts to inch past, the road was wet and this absolute curtain of water just flows over me. Couldn't see shit. It was like someone had a fire hose pointed at my windscreen. He's about 3/4 the way past me when I realise the overtaking lane is going to finish before he gets past, so I had to stand on the brakes otherwise I would have been fckd.

Then, about an hour later on the Hume Freeway, there's a dozy mob of Cockies on the side of the road. As I got close they suddenly took flight, right in front of the Ute. Bastards bouncing off the windscreen and wing mirror and bullbar, and one got stuck in the bullbar. So I'm cruising along at 110kmh with a Cockies arse flapping at me over top of the bonnet. Wasn't going to pull over on the side of the freeway so waited til I got to a wayside rest, where they had some dunny's. If I have to pull a mangled Cocky off the Bull Bar at least I hve somewhere to wash my hands.

Pull into the wayside rest, up behind a truck that's parked there and fck me, the potholes are big enough to take a bath in. Hit one and Cocky falls off. Get out and check, no damage (except to Cocky), so got back in and resumed journey.

I'll have to pull up the dashcam footage of both and have a look.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Thankfully the only time I've had a hit on a bunch of birds was a work car so that was good!

On my way to Melbourne today I was overtaking and looked in the rearview mirror and this car was right up my ass, passed the car I was passing then moved into the left and the car in the right lane backed off, continued for a while until I eventually lost them but every time I was in the right lane they were up my ass but then when I moved left they'd back off, wtf?
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

My WTF moment today I was driving down the freeway and suddenly it sounded like something was hitting my roof! It was constant and one hit or 2 hits, it was strange, went on for a minute or 2. Then the car in front of me turned off and the noise stopped! :lol: Must have been their exhaust but it sounded like it was something hitting my car.
think positive

Post by think positive »

David

Post by David »

Do you happen to be auditioning for the Regina George role in the next Mean Girls remake, TP? :roll: