Tasmanian stadium protests

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Should the new Tasmanian stadium be built?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 10

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Tasmanian stadium protests

Post by David »

https://www.news.com.au/national/politi ... d37fa7ab1a

I must admit to being surprised by how vehement the opposition to the Tasmanian stadium has been, and it's interesting to see how it's crossed political lines: you've got federal Labor backing it but state Labor opposing it, and right-wingers (Jacqui Lambie) and left-wingers (Andrew Wilkie) joining forces to bring it down.

Personally, I always feel disgusted by countries spending millions/billions on Olympic Games venues in the midst of rampant poverty and homelessness. That feels obscene for something that gets used once and then has little purpose thereafter. But I'm also sympathetic to the argument put by Gerard Whateley on AFL 360 that sport, like the arts, doesn't actually get that much funding in the broader scheme of things, and that it's unfair to put it up against health and education as you can make that argument every time and sport always loses.

I also wonder why the AFL were so insistent on the stadium when crowds are unlikely to be that high. Is Tasmania really big enough to get crowds in excess of 30,000 or so to games? And (forgive me if a million people have already asked this question and there's an obvious answer) why not just build a couple of new grandstands around North Hobart Oval?

Do we have any Tasmanians here (Mike? Tannin?) who have an opinion on this? What does everyone else think?
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

It’s not achieving a huge increase in capacity, it’s not necessary, I get why they are campaigning.

Not everyone in Tassie watches AFL, small state, small revenue base,
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

I read somewhere that the main case against upgrading the exiting Hobart oval is there's no space around it. It's (apparently) pretty much in a residential area, lack of parking and a number of other factors that would limit it's use as a multi purpose stadium (eg, for concerts). The spot the AFL and state government agreed on is an area crying out for development, apparently.

Update, here's a pretty good explanation of the logic. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-07/ ... /102310430
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
blackmissionary

Re: Tasmanian stadium protests

Post by blackmissionary »

David wrote:I also wonder why the AFL were so insistent on the stadium when crowds are unlikely to be that high.
Because the AFL doesn't really want a Tasmanian team, and they just threw out that demand probably in the belief that Tasmania (and the federal government) wouldn't bite. But Tassie and the feds have sort of called the AFL's bluff, which probably doesn't bother the AFL all that much because they get a new ground with increased spectator amenity, as well also new sponsor amenity.
think positive

Post by think positive »

i think they want north melbourne to relocate
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

They want an entertainment area. A place where people can come to eat and drink. No other stadium has that, nor the space to develop such a entertainment hub

And....why would you build a small stadium. Populations are only going to grow. It would be short-sighted, like Marvel Stadium, which is really a nother stadium.

If it was like Optus Stadium, then it would host some significant and important events.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

What'sinaname wrote:They want an entertainment area. A place where people can come to eat and drink. No other stadium has that,

Ehhh, Adelaide Oval? They have a 5 star Hotel built into part of the grandstand.

https://www.ovalhotel.com.au/

They have a whole precinct to develop where they plan to build the oval.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ That's all good and well if Tassie want to play home game in Adelaide. But, since they don't, they need one built in Tassie as none of the existing Tassie stadiums can be re-developed.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Even though I'm half expecting a selfish nimbyism to be playing a major role, it's very hard to judge this kind of thing at a distance. Even geography is hard to get a sense of unless you've lived somewhere for a while, driven the roads regularly, etc.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
think positive

Post by think positive »

pietillidie wrote:Even though I'm half expecting a selfish nimbyism to be playing a major role, it's very hard to judge this kind of thing at a distance. Even geography is hard to get a sense of unless you've lived somewhere for a while, driven the roads regularly, etc.
theres roads in tassie??