Stan Grant quits Q&A

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Stan Grant quits Q&A

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

That article by Grundle reads like his train of thought went of the tracks and started doing donuts in a car park while he was strafing left, right and centre, but there's some actually very good points in there.

I did like the comparison between Social Media and the people talking in the pub.

As far as Grant goes, couple of disclaimers.
I haven't watched QandA for ages and I rarely if ever watch the ABC
I've never watched Sky News.

I quite like Grant's writing. He's an intelligent bloke who makes his points well IMHO.

This whole Coronation thing, in my read, he was thrown under the bus by the ABC. He was asked to be part of the broadcast and specifically to provide some Indigenous persepctive, which he apparently did, and managed to upset a few dingbats. (FFS, it was on every FTA channel, if you don't like one broadcast, change fkn channels)

So Grant (apparently) cops a shellacking on Sky News and Social Media from a small number of vocal dingbats, some of which was undoubtably racist and nasty shit.

What the ABC management should have done, which I don't believe they have, is to just correct the impression that Grant went off the reservation with the Coronation comments, but was doing exactly what he was asked to do. By not doing this, that's how they backed the bus back over him after throwing him under it.

To respond to your last question, do we have a big problem in Australian Society, no I don't believe we do.

The numbers of far left and right dingbats are comparitively small portions of the population. Most fall into the category he described as largely more interested in their own affairs to bother with that crap. The problem is, that Social Media amplifies those dingbats voices and creates the perception that they speak for far larger numbers than they actually do.

Best thing to do IMO is to learn to largely ignore them, except when individuals cross into the nasty racist stuff or actual threats of violence, then report them to Police and get them tracked down and charged. We don't need to change rules for all because of a small minority of Fwits, just deal with them.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
partypie

Post by partypie »

Thanks for posting this David, some of his points are valid, for example what he says about the knowledge class, and the hypocrisy of those who have benefitted from exploiting the woes of others complaining when they are on the receiving end of it.
We do watch Q&A here,(I tend to read a book at the same time). For one thing, Q&As ratings have declined since Stan Grant took the chair, but they were declining before that. Stan’s days may well be have numbered in any case. The guests are usually pretty interesting but where the show fails is the questions from audience members. Quite often it’s some pimply know all whiny private school student or a hard done by single mum with nose rings.
All I know in regard to the future referendum is that until I see exactly the wording of what we are voting on I can’t say how I will vote, much like the referendum on the republic a couple of decades ago.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Interesting little article about the mob mentality.
It’s time to stop talking about the individuals caught in the eye of an internet pile-on and train our attention on the mob. Stan Grant has been caught in the same vortex as many other prominent individuals. Instead of wondering what it is about them that has made them a target, we should be wondering what it is about us that we tolerate a mob mentality or, much worse, participate in it.
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/tv-an ... 5dbby.html
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

Thanks David for posting this. This is about the second time reading Rundle I haven’t needed a dictionary (and I subscribe to Crikey). Many salient points as indeed there were with the link to Littlemore and Salter. For those who might not recall Liitlemore was the first presenter on Media Watch and Salter was its first and long term producer. Littlemore apart from being a journalist is also a lawyer.

The obsession with the ABC by the Murdoch press is ridiculous. They’re attacks on Grant well beyond the pale and they do have blood on their hands as it were for being a lightening rod for racist trolls; that’s become their ‘raisin d’detre” in my view.

Rundle’s article is quite illuminating. I recall Karveleas as a right wing reporter on the Australian now PK taking over the ever so reasonable Fran Kelly’s am show on RN.

I mostly listen to ABC classic FM in the mornings: much more peaceful.

I also agree about the tokenistic use of place names but I digress. It’s sad to see Grant go like this & I hope he gets his mental health right. Littlemore and Salter make some quite pertinent points about allowing opinion in, in some areas. However this then ought not translate into the hate directed to Grant inflamed and set up by the relentless bullying of Murdoch press.

Disclaimer: When watching free to air I watch a fair bit of the ABC & SBS in relation to other channels, I don’t watch Q & A.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Read the article I linked to, you're behaving exactly as predictably she describes. :P
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

stui magpie wrote:Interesting little article about the mob mentality.
It’s time to stop talking about the individuals caught in the eye of an internet pile-on and train our attention on the mob. Stan Grant has been caught in the same vortex as many other prominent individuals. Instead of wondering what it is about them that has made them a target, we should be wondering what it is about us that we tolerate a mob mentality or, much worse, participate in it.
https://www.theage.com.au/culture/tv-an ... 5dbby.html
Really good article that is is too truthful for some people, those that complain when one person finds the pile on too much are usually guilty of piling on other people themselves.

As for Stan Grant, the first time I’ve ever heard his name was after the Coronation.
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

stui magpie wrote:^

Read the article I linked to, you're behaving exactly as predictably she describes. :P
Only if you didn’t understand what she wrote
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Predictably, Grant’s reasons for taking a timeout from the media have been used to justify existing resentments. News Corp has copped it from News Corp-haters
I'm not the one lacking comprehension skills old mate. :P :lol: