Random News Stories

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 74 times

Post by stui magpie »

Go back and read your comment, You said you couldn't find the article and asked if it was true.

I gave you a link and said Yes. Question answered. If you wanted insight you should have asked for that.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Okay. But you did the same when you told me to read the ABC site, as if I thought they no longer existed. I'd never picked up that you are on the spectrum before! ;) No big deal.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

pietillidie wrote:
stui magpie wrote:^

That reminds me, I heard a grab from Dutton ( who has largely supported the budget) about the proposed new Immigration targets. Off the top of my head, he said that while he broadly supported bringing in new migrants, with the current housing situation, where are they going to live? Fair point I thought.
Even that's been proven wrong, though.

The reason is because in aggregate, housing, services and infrastructure are products of budget allocation and housing supply policy (zoning, planning, new build support policy, etc.), not population.

Basically, you get x% supply of housing, services and infrastructure at the given policy settings. Add or subtract immigrants, that x% doesn't change because it's independent of population, so housing, services and infrastructure just go up or down with immigration.

In time, the problem can actually worsen because reducing immigration reduces investment attractiveness, lowering investment which lowers productivity and government revenue. X% is then at risk of becoming x% minus if the budget and policy priorities change for the worse, which is much easier politically than changing them for the better.

Sure, you might see people sent to the wrong areas, producing local backlogs, but that's even mostly false because drop immigration to zero, it still exists because investment, jobs and housing supply are uneven.

So, it's a local optical illusion that tricks people into thinking immigration is the cause when other policy was the cause all along.
Yeah, nah, you missed the point which was if there isn't enough housing for the current population, where is another 350k pa going to live? It's a reasonable question but also misses the point that I figured out after that post, that a large number of those will be students.

There's a shitpile of purpose built student accommodation in the north/west of the CBD, a lot of which would have been largely empty for 3 years. Totally unsuitable for a family, but fine for a young single or even couple with low expectations on space. (or could have been used to relieve homelessness)

Immigration isn't the problem, the lack of housing is, but that problem could be exacerbated by Immigration if it isn't targeted.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-11/ ... /102466692

I guess this means our own Unabomber in waiting Stui has now been activated.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

No comment :P
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

Geezus that essaythough!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

What'sinaname wrote:The soft on crime Labor government are raising the criminal age to 12 and then to 14.

What could go wrong, right, especially with surging youth crime from teenage gangs.
So, we've seen a 40% increase in crime committed by 10-14 year old in Victoria, and an 80% increase in break ins to steal cars.

Yep, what could go wrong going soft on crime.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
think positive
Has liked: 216 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by think positive »

My daughter fully expects to see a few of her students on the news.

Prep kid one: little Johnny told me to **** off.

Teacher: did you do anything?

Well I pushed him but he shouldn’t talk like that.

After both kids got in trouble the swearing kid started the next activity by pushing the kid in front of him over.

Prep!

A grade 4 Aussie kid has been expelled from 4 schools, started a fight in class deliberately, said I want to get expelled.

Where. The. ****. Are. The. PARENTS?

Forget the Olympics or whatever, build a remand centre for little shits. And their parents.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

Luckily we have the Government focussing on the big issues:
- Referendum
- Increasing the cost of living
- Increasing utility prices
- Introducing taxes and levies
- Increased Government debt
- Putting the country into recession
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
watt price tully

Post by watt price tully »

100% correct. It’s like you’re responding to 3AW talkback dealing with this errant nonsense. Oh, hang on a minute …. Carry on.
“I even went as far as becoming a Southern Baptist until I realised they didn’t keep ‘em under long enough” Kinky Friedman
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

I don't even want to link to the articles, but have you seen the BBC pieces on a global ring of, wait for it, people who torture monkeys? I happened across the articles browsing the BBC late, and still feel sick to the stomach.

I thought it was satirical and wouldn't have believed it if it wasn't a BBC report. There really is every type of deranged sicko out there. Shudder.

TP, don't look it up if you haven't seen it yet. Horrifying.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 37 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
What'sinaname

Post by What'sinaname »

^ it tells you that without law and order, things would turn to shit very quickly. Civility hangs on by only a thread. We saw glimpses of it through COVID.