Watching footy in Brisbane

For all the Queensland Magpies.

Moderators: rez_83, Northern Pie

swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Watching footy in Brisbane

Post by swooper »

Hi all - I'll be in Brisbane when we play Geelong on Fri 11/8 and just wondering if any Brisbanites can tell me the best bars/pubs to watch the game ? Just want to make sure I am in AFL territory and not NRL ..
We'll be staying in South Brisbane
Thanks and Go Pies :D
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 1eyedpie »

The pineapple hotel just down the road from the Gabba.
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^ The 'Piney' is the designated AFL pub in BrisVegas. Importantly you won't get a code clash there.

There's a sports bar called Fat Angel in the CBD, which is a great little hole in the wall American style venue with screens everywhere and greasy food.
You'd need to call them to ask them that they'll be sure to have the AFL on though. I've watched a number of games there.

Swooper, I'd have come along but my dirty Hawks mate is hosting at his place. I'm in a deep W/L deficit against him so I'm taking the opportunity to get one back on his home turf.

But as per your stipulations, I'd hit the Piney. It's a 10 minute Uber from Southbank.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Thanks heaps! Geez it’s something I guess we take for granted here in Melbs with footy on pretty much everywhere. Cheers :) :) :)
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

LaurieHolden wrote:^ The 'Piney' is the designated AFL pub in BrisVegas. Importantly you won't get a code clash there.

There's a sports bar called Fat Angel in the CBD, which is a great little hole in the wall American style venue with screens everywhere and greasy food.
You'd need to call them to ask them that they'll be sure to have the AFL on though. I've watched a number of games there.

Swooper, I'd have come along but my dirty Hawks mate is hosting at his place. I'm in a deep W/L deficit against him so I'm taking the opportunity to get one back on his home turf.

But as per your stipulations, I'd hit the Piney. It's a 10 minute Uber from Southbank.
As a Brisbane resident of 20 years, the Pineapple myth is largely writ by Victorian CFC supporters who would meet at that pub before a Pies matchbbecause it’s close to the Gabba.

The truth is if the Pies aren’t playing at the Gabba then the Pineapple is no better or worse than 50 other Brisbane venues.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
mudlark

Re: Watching footy in Brisbane

Post by mudlark »

swooper wrote:Hi all - I'll be in Brisbane when we play Geelong on Fri 11/8 and just wondering if any Brisbanites can tell me the best bars/pubs to watch the game ? Just want to make sure I am in AFL territory and not NRL ..
We'll be staying in South Brisbane
Thanks and Go Pies :D
Pineapple hotel just up the road from the Gabba.(North side). About 1/2K on the main drag.Great pub.Best steaks in Briszzy and good cold beer.