Post Match. Lions beat Pies. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Perhaps the biggest issue we need to sort out quickly, is how many talls can we play. Cox proved that he is the ONLY ruck we have who can consistently win hit-outs to advantage. Cameron, however, generally takes more marks around the ground. So, assuming we play the 2 rucks, can we afford to play McStay as well, or do we simply rotate our rucks thru the bench? Next week is our last chance to settle on the structure we take into the finals.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

RudeBoy wrote:Perhaps the biggest issue we need to sort out quickly, is how many talls can we play. Cox proved that he is the ONLY ruck we have who can consistently win hit-outs to advantage. Cameron, however, generally takes more marks around the ground. So, assuming we play the 2 rucks, can we afford to play McStay as well, or do we simply rotate our rucks thru the bench? Next week is our last chance to settle on the structure we take into the finals.
This is the million dollar question
Cox is better in the ruck
Cameron is better around the ground.
Cox kicks more goals.
I would go Cox only if McStay plays.
McStay is a good mark but he gathers few disposals.
Need another fast and big mid instead of Cameron.
But we may need to play both Cox and Cameron ..hard decision
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Dark Beanie wrote:VFL Pies won by 50 points.
Meaningless. Fly takes no notice of VFL games. You may as well say that Atlanta def SF in the baseball as the best players in Atlanta have an equal chance of being selected as the best players in the VFL.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
jatsad
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jatsad »

What'sinaname wrote:
Meaningless. Fly takes no notice of VFL games. You may as well say that Atlanta def SF in the baseball as the best players in Atlanta have an equal chance of being selected as the best players in the VFL.
What a stupid statement.
Did he pull Cox and Ryan out of his arse did he???
Jatsad - That is all
Dark Beanie
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Whatever.....
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:Agree with those who have stated that the loss last night was an expected outcome, given our injuries, the difference in incentives for both teams, and the clear advantage of Marvel to Brisbane's game style.
At first, I was really worried when I watched Fly's presser, but upon rewatching have changed my view.
What others have indicated as "'negative body language'' to me represented his huge displeasure with loss of any kind, but not ''panic'' at all.
I thought his replies were measured, and good. When asking the journalist "what would you have done?'' he was not ''searching for answers from the audience'', rather he was using this to introduce the depth of thinking that goes along with such decisions. Of course, he expected the answer that everyone on the outside saw, ie of moving Howe back. He then explained why the coaches decided not to make that obvious move, because Howe was negating Harris-Andrews almost completely, and then in the 3rd quarter also kicked 2 goals as a bonus. I think he actually invited this discussion to educate the audience about the complexity of the decision making process that is not visible from outside. Finally, I liked his comments on ''form''. He refuses to dig us into a hole of a ''form slump'', instead presenting ''form'' as an outcome of actions. Last week, our actions were such that the outcome was a win, this week this did not occur, and our task is to address the reasons for this. I also liked how he presented this as just a moment and we are not static. Once the finals starts, an entirely new season begins. I think the apparently downcast appearance of the presser was a measure of how much Fly dislikes defeat, and will now be focussed on getting the most from our team in September, whatever that path looks like over the next 2 weeks.

Well said very very good points, totally agree. :) 8)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

jatsad wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
What a stupid statement.
Did he pull Cox and Ryan out of his arse did he???

Correct, he attends VFL games when he can too. But, never let facts an truth get in the way of the glass half empty brigade. :roll:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

RudeBoy wrote:Sadly, I have to agree with you QM67.
Me also. He is giving us little or nothing. Send him back to the VFL to either find his bottle or see his time out.
Last edited by Gerry Cooper on Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Oh and another thing. Dont give Maynard the acting captaincy next week. We dont need a captain that loses his shit when something goes against him and the team and he provided little leadership when it was needed after Murphy went down. Either give it to the old master for a game or maybe even Jamie or Howe or even Adams. If they wanted to be a bit radical they could try Josh.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

To all those who believe that Lipinsky is playing too "softly", who do they propose to replace him with?
Not an antagonistic question, but one that needs to be answered. Who do they have in mind who could perform Lipinski's current role more forcefully?
And, would that replacement provide the necessary balance between inside mid and outside run?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Magpietothemax wrote:To all those who believe that Lipinsky is playing too "softly", who do they propose to replace him with?
Not an antagonistic question, but one that needs to be answered. Who do they have in mind who could perform Lipinski's current role more forcefully?
And, would that replacement provide the necessary balance between inside mid and outside run?
I would play Carmichael in that role. He is no slower, is a longer kick and he is harder at it. He likes kicking goals too.
doriswilgus
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by doriswilgus »

There’s no need to replace Lipinski with anyone.We were playing just fine without him until he came back for the King’s birthday game,and we can play without him.He is surplus to requirements.With four very good players to come back into the side,four have to go out ,and I would say that Lipinski needs to be one of those four to come out.
stoliboy
Been liked: 47 times

Post by stoliboy »

COLLINGWOOD will be without Beau McCreery for the final-round clash against Essendon after receiving a one-match ban for a dangerous tackle in Friday night's loss to Brisbane.

McCreery was charged after slamming Lion Darcy Wilmot into the Marvel Stadium turf during the third quarter of the Pies' 24-point defeat.

The Match Review Officer graded the incident as careless conduct, medium impact and high contact, drawing a one-game suspension.

Wilmot appeared to suffer no ill effects from the tackle and played out the game.

It means McCreery will be available for the Pies' first final.
Sydney Collingwood Supporters Club
http://sydneymagpies.magpies.net/
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Game was over when Murphy went off.

Played Bruise Free Footy afterwards
I am Da Man