Qualifying Final. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Ginnivan stiff? McCrae lucky to be sub? Not even a fly on the wall would know Fly’s thinking here. Not just Fly’s decision, who else is on the selection committee now? Is this making Melbourne rethink their strategy and move their magnets around again?
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Ginny is sub.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

It’s the age old story, you can’t fit 25 players into a team of 22. Any of those in the 23 - 25 group would have been stiff. Club knows best. Leave it to them.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

Feel for Johnny as he’s all heart but probs the correct call. No obvious match up for him and as others on here have rightly pointed has unfortunately been exposed as the defensive weak link.

His run and carry will not be missed as much as not leaking easy goals from the hole…which has been happening regularly when he’s isolated and play goes through his man…will be a massive improvement.

Ruthless coaching decisions like this is what makes a team go from good to great.

Pies by 9.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Since final 8 change in 2000. 1 v 4 is 17-6 in QF. 4th is the death spot in top 4. No premier has come from 4th since the change.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

McCreery needs to kick three along with Bobby Hill. Jamie and Checkers 4-5 goals each. Then we win. And Cox better play out of his skin spoiling everything Gawn does.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

shawthing wrote:McCreery needs to kick three along with Bobby Hill. Jamie and Checkers 4-5 goals each. Then we win. And Cox better play out of his skin spoiling everything Gawn does.
That would be 14+ goals which probably wins the game. Our spread of goal kickers is one of our strongest assets so we need to be unpredictable going in and our F50 entries need to be deep. The key to us kicking enough goals to win is not kicking high to May and Lever. We did it against Hawthorn and Sicily killed us. The other key is stopping Fritsch. That’s where our intercept marking/spoiling of Moore, Howe, Quaynor and Murphy needs to be spot on. Another one of our strengths.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Noble is unlucky, but his omission shows how strong our team is. Once Nick Daicos returns, another player will be unlucky.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

THE Premiership is always won by the fittest and healthiest team, and when Naicos comes in, that will be us I reckon. Yep and you cannot fit 26 Very good players into just 22, thems the breaks for Noble.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mossi
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Mossi »

Cam wrote:Noble is a mismatch when he has a taller forward on him, the ball often goes through his man. I love what he brings but I feel the last month Markov has offered more, pound for pound is stronger, taller and can hold his ground.
As much as I feel for Nobes I can see why the coaches have gone this way, and your spot on Cam. We are going to miss John, especially his ball winning ability around packs his link work tackling and run. Last time we played the Dees they specifically kicked to contest where Noble was defending. I suppose Fly regards our small forwards like Lipinsky more important for attacking options.