Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Adams loss is a big blow, as he was by far our best inside mid last week. I'm not sure how we cover his absence as we don't really have another proven like for like player to bring in. I'm not sure we need 2 rucks against the Giants, which could open up a spot for Carmichael or MaCrae, if we decide to bring in an inside midfielder, though I doubt we'll tinker with our structure. My guess is we'll keep the same side, with the inclusion of the Macedonian Marvel Mark II. Mitchell will need to put in a massive effort, and maybe we can use McCreery for short spells, to add a bit of grunt around the packs. Maynard on Greene will be riveting viewing.

Our great defence should get the better of the Giants forwards. Ultimately, if we bring our A game to the table, and apply the intense pressure we smashed the Dees with in the opening quarter last week, we SHOULD win. I guess it's all about which team handles finals pressure the best. Pies by 28 pts.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

I'm hearing rumours the Giants are cracking open the sarcophagus .......

and unwrapping the Mummy!

Haha, just kidding...thank f*ck
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

Remember the Giants wouldn’t have got back home until very early this morning after recovery and what not. They are essentially on a 5 day break now, plus travelling for a 3rd consecutive week.

We have 11 players from the 2019 team so I am sure they will speak about the lessons of that game not to mention the Prelim of last year and letting the swans get 6 goals ahead.

If we start well as we have our past 2 games it will give us a buffer to absorb the moments when GWS have momentum. In the end I think we will be too fresh for them as long as we don’t have to play too much catch up throughout the game.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

Johnno75 wrote:Remember the Giants wouldn’t have got back home until very early this morning after recovery and what not. They are essentially on a 5 day break now, plus travelling for a 3rd consecutive week.
With the Sydney ariport curfew (11pm) they wouldn't be flying home until this morning, so even better. Would've been a reason why the AFL were considering scheduling the PF on Sat
I find your lack of faith disturbing
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

Raw Hammer wrote:We beat them by 50 points on Mother’s Day. Expecting something similar.
Just like Port did too a few weeks ago? We can't have that level of hubris going into the game, or it could be similar to 2019.
I find your lack of faith disturbing
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

tbaker wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:We beat them by 50 points on Mother’s Day. Expecting something similar.
Just like Port did too a few weeks ago? We can't have that level of hubris going into the game, or it could be similar to 2019.
Port were banged up something shocking but agree about hubris.

Play the minutes.
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

It’s cute that they think they’ve heard a big, big sound…
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I’m quietly confident. Port lost it in the backline, their defenders were very ordinary. Our defence is much stronger. The only issue is Greene.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Mr Miyagi wrote:I’m quietly confident. Port lost it in the backline, their defenders were very ordinary. Our defence is much stronger. The only issue is Greene.
Maynard will handle that little sniper as he has before.
Leggie
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Leggie »

Medias are calling GWS win over Port an upset. I think it was always going to happen. Port are a busted up side the last 6 or so weeks. They were never going to match it with GWS.
We on the other hand are a different beast.
GWS expect us to be better than Port and that we will.
However GWS really have no idea what they are in for.
We will be next level.

Go Pies
Bring Back Tranquilli
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

GWS’ style of play is not too dissimilar to ours. They generate scores from the back half, run in waves and they’re not afraid of going through the corridor.

The one issue of concern is clearances. It’s never been a strength of ours, whereas the Giants dominated Port in this department. Mitchell is going to be vital in getting first use in the middle and stopping the Giants from dominating forward of the ball.

I expect a vastly different match compared to the low scoring 2019 PF. The forecast of rain appears to be minimal and both teams play a radically different style than in 2019.

I hope the 10 players (Crisp, Elliott, WHE, Howe, Maynard, Mihocek, Moore, Noble [if selected] , Pendlebury and Sidebottom) who played in the ‘19 Prelim have enough memories to not drop this again.
Last edited by Jezza on Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

DP.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Quietly confident but this is the team that I didn’t want to play. They are playing with a ‘nothing to lose’ mentality which is dangerous. I hope we win and I hope the Blues do too. A Brisbane v GWS GF would be diabolical for Melbourne, but a Pies v Blues GF would be unfarkenbelievable!!
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Magpiefan3 wrote:Last time we played was 2019 Preliminary Final and we know what happened there.

The crowd of that Preliminary Final was only 77,828.
I do remember. I also remember Taylor Adam’s hitting the post with about 20seconds to go. Would have won us the game.
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

Hiss wrote:Channel 7 decide when it is! However , just because we are playing GWS, we must not take anything for granted. They are rat cunning and dangerous. Their ground ball control is best in the competition if you ask me. They travel very well and like playing at the MCG. Take them seriously I say
According to the last post I read of yours, this should be Dreamons/GWS game?? How did picking Melbourne to beat us by 5 goals go for ya?? You’re probably still crying into your Corio and coke.