Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

piedys wrote:
The game was marred by player hubris, and disgraceful umpiring by the three maggots listed below...
Thus the much expected Collingwood vs. Richmond Grand Final didn't happen in its window, nor will it happen now in the foreseeable future either.

For those like me who were seething post siren after that Prelim debacle, and are yet to get over it; well lucky us - our shot at redemption has finally arrived after four long seasons...

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/2 ... 90921.html

Round: Preliminary Final Venue: M.C.G. Date: Sat, 21-Sep-2019 4:35 PM Attendance: 77828
Collingwood 2.0.12 3.2.20 3.5.23 7.10.52
Greater Western Sydney 1.3.9 2.5.17 7.7.49 8.8.56
Qrt margin CW by 3 CW by 3 GW by 26 GW by 4

Field umpires Matt Stevic, Andrew Stephens, Simon Meredith
The good news is we'll likely get those 3 yet again, maybe even through in Williamson to round out the Collingwood hating foursome.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Reasons to have measured confidence against the Giants -

1 ) Port were horrible. Hardly a winner on the night and close to the worst defence in the competition
2 ) We didn’t rely on winning clearances every week to finish on top of ladder.
3 ) Nick makes us better and we are only one player away from full strength and that’s a luxury we haven’t been afforded the entire home and away season.
4 ) Giants have been heroic but there’s a reason why GENERALLY the teams with the break make their way onto the G F.
5 ) The Giants have a very short preparation turnaround for their biggest game of the season to date.
Finally and personally, I think we match up well against them. Both have deep midfields but I feel our forwards ( collectively ) and defence are more capable than the Giants. We finished on top of the ladder, while they finished seventh at the end of the home and away season for a reason. There are no excuses for not getting the job done on Friday night. Pies by enough.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
mudlark

Post by mudlark »

RudeBoy wrote:Adams loss is a big blow, as he was by far our best inside mid last week. I'm not sure how we cover his absence as we don't really have another proven like for like player to bring in. I'm not sure we need 2 rucks against the Giants, which could open up a spot for Carmichael or MaCrae, if we decide to bring in an inside midfielder, though I doubt we'll tinker with our structure. My guess is we'll keep the same side, with the inclusion of the Macedonian Marvel Mark II. Mitchell will need to put in a massive effort, and maybe we can use McCreery for short spells, to add a bit of grunt around the packs. Maynard on Greene will be riveting viewing.

Our great defence should get the better of the Giants forwards. Ultimately, if we bring our A game to the table, and apply the intense pressure we smashed the Dees with in the opening quarter last week, we SHOULD win. I guess it's all about which team handles finals pressure the best. Pies by 28 pts.
Charmichael is no chance. I’m thinking McCrae is a huge chance to play. Out Ginnivan, Adam’s, Lipinski. In Daicos, Noble McCrae(Sub).
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:I'm hearing rumours the Giants are cracking open the sarcophagus .......

and unwrapping the Mummy!

Haha, just kidding...thank f*ck
We wish, in 2019 we had Grundy and Reid...
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
MagpiesTheGreat

Post by MagpiesTheGreat »

Raw Hammer wrote:We beat them by 50 points on Mother’s Day. Expecting something similar.
And in the month of Father's Day, we will show them what a grow up is like.

Pies to win by 28 points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
winpies
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by winpies »

At least the crowd will be so far in our favour it won't be funny. (for them anyway). If it was Port there would have been a bigger crowd coming over so that is a bonus for us.

It has got to be loud and proud on Friday night. This should be a good game.
carn the mighty pies!
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Interesting in the commentary last night Daisy Pearce pointed out how Toby Greene takes his opponent up the ground and lets them get sucked in to the play. He then backs out and provides the option over the back for a link up or scoring chance.

Once she said that I reckon I noticed him doing that on 5 other occasions.

We will need to be awake to that option OR if our guy peels off into the play he needs to make sure it heads in our direction.
I think therefore I think - I think
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

I think we’ve got to start Nick off half back. He’ll be underdone and is too slight to play out of the centre for the whole game especially in a PF. I’d rotate him and Pumbleberry through the centre as needs must.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
dalyc

Post by dalyc »

DP
dalyc

Post by dalyc »

think better wrote:Interesting in the commentary last night Daisy Pearce pointed out how Toby Greene takes his opponent up the ground and lets them get sucked in to the play. He then backs out and provides the option over the back for a link up or scoring chance.

We will need to be awake to that option OR if our guy peels off into the play he needs to make sure it heads in our direction.
They were winning the clearance so completely, it was easy to have the confidence to drop out the back. We’ve struggled with clearances as we all know so Fly has to come up with the tactics to overcome it. Cox has to vary his tap work and employ the Keating bash forward play occasionally.

GWS ruck is going to be sore so Cox and Cameron need to work him over.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

[quote="Pies2016"]Reasons to have measured confidence against the Giants -

1 ) Port were horrible. Hardly a winner on the night and close to the worst defence in the competition
2 ) We didn’t rely on winning clearances every week to finish on top of ladder.
3 ) Nick makes us better and we are only one player away from full strength and that’s a luxury we haven’t been afforded the entire home and away season.
4 ) Giants have been heroic but there’s a reason why GENERALLY the teams with the break make their way onto the G F.
5 ) The Giants have a very short preparation turnaround for their biggest game of the season to date.
Finally and personally, I think we match up well against them. Both have deep midfields but I feel our forwards ( collectively ) and defence are more capable than the Giants. We finished on top of the ladder, while they finished seventh at the end of the home and away season for a reason. There are no excuses for not getting the job done on Friday night. Pies by enough.[/quote

Port also missed five easy soda goals in last qtr, the GWS tired right out, had Port not got the Deeees malaise, Giants would have barely won. Will be a tired team second half next week, I am quietly confident we can get the job done, by 20+ points, maybe more. :)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
derkd
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

The thing that shocked me when I was watching the Hawthorn game in round 21(Was it?), was just the manic charging forward (towards Collingwoods 50) that a few of the mids were doing time and again BEFORE we had even gained possession of the ball ... De Goey was criminal offender on the night, perhaps it was a tatic...but it looked ridiculous as we were not getting anywhere near the ball...and Hawthorn made as look bottom 4.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

think better wrote:Interesting in the commentary last night Daisy Pearce pointed out how Toby Greene takes his opponent up the ground and lets them get sucked in to the play. He then backs out and provides the option over the back for a link up or scoring chance.

Bergman played him much better than Burton but the damage was done. Ports defence was a rabble, so Greene did as he chose. The whole idea of team defence is for Greenes opponent to hand him over to someone further up the ground, so Greenes initial opponent could stay closer to the Giants goal.
Greenes a super player, so it needs a combined effort to keep him quiet. He won’t find it as easy as against Collingwoods back six and defensive wingers.
He pulled up sore too, he’s tough but a 6 day break and two plane trips won’t do these guys any favours with their rehabbing.
Last edited by Pies2016 on Sun Sep 17, 2023 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pies2016

Post by Pies2016 »

D P