Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Only real change in Nick Daicos and out Adams.

As mentioned before Adams would have played if this was the GF.

Keep him cherry ripe i say.

Ill maybe try Noble as sub and bring in Ginny to start on the int.

Apart from barring anymore set backs at training team is unchanged.

Theres training on today but what about the other days this week.

Still think the Pies will control the game better and win by 15 points.

Be tight early on.

Weather is a dry deck and a cooler 16 degrees light breezes.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

piffdog wrote:Media will have you believe they’re a u stoppable force bound for a maiden flag - but I suppose that happens to the remaining teams this time of year.

Just looking back at their form over the last couple months.

Rd16 - squeezed past Melbourne in Alice Springs
Rd17 - beat the Hawks at home
Rd18 - beat the crows away
Rd19 - beat the suns at home
Rd20 - squeezed past the Dogs at Ballarat
Rd21 - lost to the Swans at home
Rd22 - belted by the power away
Rd23 - flogged the bombers
Rd24 - beat the blues at Marvel
Elimination - beat the saints away
Semi - beat the power away

There’s some reasonable wins in there, but there’s also a few gimmies. I’d argue the blues were due a loss with finals sewn up and we all know how the power have run out of steam come finals.

That said, winning form is good form and they do have some excellent individual players who are playing well. I don’t think it will be a cake walk, but they also don’t just give flags away either.
To be fair I’m not sure our recent formline looks any more impressive. Our best win in that same period was against Port; otherwise some big wins against Gold Coast, Fremantle and Essendon, narrower victories over the Bulldogs, Geelong and Melbourne, and we all know the rest about our late-season form slump.

I feel more comfortable looking at the finals in isolation. On that count, we’ve done what we needed to do so far. And I think it’s fair to say that our best is better than the Giants’ best. But I fully expect that we’ll have to fight hard to win this.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

The main difference is the the giants beat a smashed up and totally out of form opponent and we beat one of the favourites.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

I’m thinking McStay Cameron these types even Cox are well over due to kick a bag.
McStay in particular
He is well overdue for a 5 goal game
Need to get better value out of our talls in our f50
To me who wins this Friday will be premiers
But we need a solid team performance this Friday night
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Exactly and these Orange critters are under Kingsley playing a real team game
We have and can play team game and much better -under Fly we’ve had two seasons to get it right

Don’t expect a walkover (be nice tho) but a fairly tough hit out to get hard for the Big Dance
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

If we play as the best version of ourselves, we have a good chance of winning but we have to take into consideration that they will also be fired up play at their best. Ding dong battle but if we are to win the flag, we obviously have to win this. I’m quietly confident that we can win providing we play our best football, kick straight, run and mount maximum pressure on their ball carriers. Going to be a nail biter for 4 quarters. We win this, I reckon we are a 60-40 chance to win the flag. We are the best team out of the other two.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

lazzadesilva wrote:If we play as the best version of ourselves, we have a good chance of winning but we have to take into consideration that they will also be fired up play at their best. Ding dong battle but if we are to win the flag, we obviously have to win this. I’m quietly confident that we can win providing we play our best football, kick straight, run and mount maximum pressure on their ball carriers. Going to be a nail biter for 4 quarters. We win this, I reckon we are a 60-40 chance to win the flag. We are the best team out of the other two.

Comrade, GWS beat an injury riddled, out of form Port, but Giants tired out last qtr, Port missed easy goals like the Deees did. We have had 15 days rest, to Giants 5 days, that is the key for me. ! We are fresh as daisies, raring to go plus the massive Magpie army, roaring us on . Im also quiely confident, but still reckon Woods by 20+ points, its Flys 50th Birthday, our lads wont let him down. :) :)
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
robevpau1

Post by robevpau1 »

Piesnchess wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:If we play as the best version of ourselves, we have a good chance of winning but we have to take into consideration that they will also be fired up play at their best. Ding dong battle but if we are to win the flag, we obviously have to win this. I’m quietly confident that we can win providing we play our best football, kick straight, run and mount maximum pressure on their ball carriers. Going to be a nail biter for 4 quarters. We win this, I reckon we are a 60-40 chance to win the flag. We are the best team out of the other two.

Comrade, GWS beat an injury riddled, out of form Port, but Giants tired out last qtr, Port missed easy goals like the Deees did. We have had 15 days rest, to Giants 5 days, that is the key for me. ! We are fresh as daisies, raring to go plus the massive Magpie army, roaring us on . Im also quiely confident, but still reckon Woods by 20+ points, its Flys 50th Birthday, our lads wont let him down. :) :)
Agree - Giants have been on the road for the last 3 weeks - it will take its toll at some stage, hopefully this Friday.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

90 nice wrote:I’m thinking McStay Cameron these types even Cox are well over due to kick a bag.
McStay in particular
He is well overdue for a 5 goal game
Yeah, he hasn't kicked 5 in 174 games so I guess he is somewhat overdue.
He has kicked 4 a few times. If he kicks 4 on Friday night I'd reckon we win.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Who likes the thought of Maynard as centre.

He could play on ball and be that bull in the middle.

Kind of that bulldozer who just ploughs through the clearences.

Like him and De Goey at the center bounce.

And noble can play maynards chb role.

We need grunt.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

I reiterate what I posted before:

If we win, it will be the efficacy of our defence as a team- really making it hard for GWS to surge and score and punish Giants on the rebound.

McCreery will need to lock down Whitfield; Mihocek or McStay must contest ferociously with Sam Taylor; Bobby Hill must give Iden the runaround...

The brilliance of Tom Green, Coniglio and Kelly must be matched, our exceeded, by De Goey, Pendles, Mitchell, Crisp, Sidebottom and the Macedonian Marvel's boys...

I think Pendles will be set to negate either Coniglio or Kelly; they simply cannot be allowed to run amok as they did against Port Power

Naturally, it will be a tough battle- we are either Premiership quality, or we are not- this Friday will determine if we are worthy of playing off...
Last edited by warburton lad on Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
choppa
Been liked: 1 time

Post by choppa »

Under Craig McRae the Pies have never lost a game at the MCG to an interstate team.

Keep that record up and dare to dream. Go Pies
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

For me, the reference match should be the 2022 prelim against the swans. If we turn up with the same never say die attitude and fight until the last kick after the siren we should be in a good place.

I’m hoping our players keep the aggression in check and we have no reports and players in jeopardy for the GF. I’m expecting our players to get in a few scuffles with Toby Greene and we know his attitude. I don’t want to face Brisbane or Carlton with our players rubbed out.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

The Black and White Lion wrote:For me, the reference match should be the 2022 prelim against the swans. If we turn up with the same never say die attitude and fight until the last kick after the siren we should be in a good place.

I’m hoping our players keep the aggression in check and we have no reports and players in jeopardy for the GF. I’m expecting our players to get in a few scuffles with Toby Greene and we know his attitude. I don’t want to face Brisbane or Carlton with our players rubbed out.
We would want to start better than we did against the Swans last year.
Also, Bruzza had better make sure that he does not leave the ground when he smothers :cry:
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins