Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Mr Miyagi wrote:Pretty wild if it’s a Collingwood v Carlton GF. Especially considering the bluescum are only playing finals because Adelaide was robbed right in front of us all.
That's not true. Carlton was always playing finals regardless of the Syd / Adl game result.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

going to be a long 3 full days waiting for Friday
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

What'sinaname wrote:
Mr Miyagi wrote:Pretty wild if it’s a Collingwood v Carlton GF. Especially considering the bluescum are only playing finals because Adelaide was robbed right in front of us all.
That's not true. Carlton was always playing finals regardless of the Syd / Adl game result.
Don’t mess with my hatred of Carlton, I’m sticking with this.
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

Not thinking about it at all. Sole focus is Friday. Hopefully Fly and the boys are doing he same.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Skids wrote:
90 nice wrote:I’m thinking McStay Cameron these types even Cox are well over due to kick a bag.
McStay in particular
He is well overdue for a 5 goal game
Yeah, he hasn't kicked 5 in 174 games so I guess he is somewhat overdue.
He has kicked 4 a few times. If he kicks 4 on Friday night I'd reckon we win.
Well, Mihocek hadn't until this year... And now he's done it twice. 8)
So if McStay does it twice this year too, that'll be a good thing. :wink:
K

Post by K »

piedys wrote:
K wrote:
piedys wrote: Murphy to Hogan we'd presume?
Leaves either of Moore or Howe to intercept any Hail Mary Bombs inside their F50.
Murphy to Hogan, Maynard or Howe to Toby?
Maynard seems to be the people's choice; we just need to be wary of Toby doubling back once his opponent gets sucked too far upfield - perhaps IQ then covers him?

I'm sure our coaches are aware of this tactic, and are planning measures to counter it?
Pie-supporting journo Gleeson:

"Greene didn't play when the Giants upset Collingwood in the preliminary final of 2019. He didn't play earlier this year when the Giants were belted. But in 2021 in an eight-minute burst in round four, Greene kicked three goals and made Isaac Quaynor look like a schoolboy."

(The Age)

Okay, don't play IQ on Hogan... but don't play him on Toby either. Who's left for IQ? Bedford?
K

Post by K »

stoliboy wrote:
piedys wrote:
K wrote: To any folks trying this therapy: Keep an eye on Grundy's ruckwork. I reckon you'll be surprised. Your memory prolly tells you Grundy got a ****load of hit outs, but they were all a repeat of: hit out to feet, pack forms, another ball up.
If you watch, you'll find Grundy's ruckwork was even more atrocious than that. Bashing hit outs straight to the oppo, etc.
Watch out for the one where Grundy tries hitting it, two hands, backwards over his head and it goes straight to the oppo all on his own.
:shock: Oh, the horror!!
Stats recorded as Grundy 73 h/o; Mumford 14.
Of course these stats don't disclose whether those taps are to advantage or disadvantage - i'll leave that to the replay!
GWS won the centre clearances 10-8
GWS won the clearances 54 - 35

Also that 2019 Prelim score worm is horrible to look at. In front at half time, blown away in the third quarter, GWS get the first goal of the last before we come back and fall short by 4. Sheesh.
Dyso, are you volunteering to write up a play-by-play of all 73 hit outs? :?: :o

(4 examples: https://magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.p ... 10#2140510 .)

Warning: You'll need to record it, so you can pause and replay! (Or do they let you watch on demand?) And it'll take you forever!! And seeing such crap will do your head in!!!
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

choppa wrote:Under Craig McRae the Pies have never lost a game at the MCG to an interstate team.

Keep that record up and dare to dream. Go Pies
Yep. 10 wins, 0 losses.

An average winning margin of 32 points.

Round 2 2022 vs Adelaide = +42
Round 7 2022 vs Gold Coast = +25
Round 15 2022 vs GWS = +11
Round 20 2022 vs Port Adelaide = +6
Semi Final 2022 vs Fremantle = +20
Round 2 2023 vs Port Adelaide = +71
Round 8 2023 vs Sydney = +29
Round 9 2023 vs GWS = +65
Round 15 2023 vs Adelaide = +2
Round 18 2023 vs Fremantle = +46
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Pies2016 wrote:
K wrote:
piedys wrote: Maynard seems to be the people's choice; we just need to be wary of Toby doubling back once his opponent gets sucked too far upfield - perhaps IQ then covers him?

I'm sure our coaches are aware of this tactic, and are planning measures to counter it?
Pie-supporting journo Gleeson:

"Greene didn't play when the Giants upset Collingwood in the preliminary final of 2019. He didn't play earlier this year when the Giants were belted. But in 2021 in an eight-minute burst in round four, Greene kicked three goals and made Isaac Quaynor look like a schoolboy."

(The Age)

Okay, don't play IQ on Hogan... but don't play him on Toby either. Who's left for IQ? Bedford?
From the AFL app, career numbers when Maynard and Greene have gone head to head is as follows. Maynard has spent 142 mins on Greene and he’s coughed up one goal. That’s around six quarters and conceded only one goal in that time. He’s also easily the best performed Collingwood defender against Greene. The strength of Greene is that he can also play midfield, so he’s not out of the game just because he may have had a quiet quarter as a deep forward.
As for I Q, he’s so improved over the years, there’s no comparison. Whether it’s Bedford or Daniels, I’m sure he will acquit himself very well.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Could Garry Lyon gush any more about GWS!! Get a hotel room.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Magpiefan3

Post by Magpiefan3 »

It will be Craig McRae's birthday on Friday and he will be turning 50.

Let's win for him!
2016 Player Sponsor for Travis Varcoe

2017-2019 Player Sponsor for Lynden Dunn
Magpietothemax
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Magpiefan3 wrote:It will be Craig McRae's birthday on Friday and he will be turning 50.

Let's win for him!
This
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

David wrote:
Cuthbert Collingwood wrote:We need to make sure that Ginni gets under their skin more than Greens gets under ours. That’s why Ginni must start
Agreed. I don't mind him starting as sub now and then, but we really don't get the most out of him that way. I reckon he brings us a lot over four quarters, and the longer he's on for he more chance he'll kick two or three important goals, put more pressure on opponents, etc. So should be someone else's turn this time around.
Interesting. Who would you suggest to be the sub instead?
I have thought about this question, and just don't see who it should be instead.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Just went on the GWS section of BF and apparently scans have shown that Briggs has "minor damage" and is good to go.
Minor damage is minor damage. He will therefore be less than 100%
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins