Pre-Prelim. Magpies v. Giants. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I'm with pnc. 8)
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Piesnchess wrote:

Lazza, im sick n tired of being a pessimist Magpie veteran fan, done with tht shit , im up for this match, really up for it, our best has been outstanding this season, we have 10 more rest days than this mob, they wll tire out as the match goes on.they tired out last week, last qtr, had Port kicked 5 soda goals Giants woud have barely got over the line. WE can take these Orange peel pricks tackel em like maniacs, they may shit the nest, this one is ours for the taking. We can and will win, im quietly confident, more an more now. :o :)
hear hear!!!!!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Piesnchess wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:GWS strength lays in there ability to run run run all day at a good clip
They run in swarms and support from behind the ball in numbers
They play high pressure football when they don’t have it
They have good players on every line
People who think there just making up the numbers haven’t been watching them closely
The 2nd half the season they were a top 3 side with only 2 losses and both those they had players missing
They win in the road and aren’t daunted by the challenge
This game is a bigger danger than a GF against either lions or scum

They will attack our weaknesses
Clearances without Adams will be a massive issue they get first use of the ball we will be in huge trouble
Our poor field kicking of late will be punished if they intercept like they’ve done the past couple weeks
They exploit any player who doesn’t have the turn of speed to stop them running away from clearances or contests
Sidey on a Wing is a big concern as Kelly likes to role out to the wing on his left and run and carry before pinpointing passes inside 50
We will need to be at our absolute best to overcome these guys don’t be mistaken
Not too sure if I’m reading you correctly but I get the impression that you are realistically not extremely confident about us winning. I’m feeling the same way and can only hope that we play at our best for the entire game. If we’re able to do this, we will win. I have no doubt that this is the best way to win.

Lazza, im sick n tired of being a pessimist Magpie veteran fan, done with tht shit , im up for this match, really up for it, our best has been outstanding this season, we have 10 more rest days than this mob, they wll tire out as the match goes on.they tired out last week, last qtr, had Port kicked 5 soda goals Giants woud have barely got over the line. WE can take these Orange peel pricks tackel em like maniacs, they may shit the nest, this one is ours for the taking. We can and will win, im quietly confident, more an more now. :o :)
I'M with Mr De Silva on this one. We need to be bringing more than a quarter and a half of full pressure and commitment as we have been doing for the last few weeks. What has been concerning in our last two defeats has been the lack of a second effort when our opposition has kicked ahead. Defending a lead is not going to win us a grand final. The killer instinct needs to last until the game is done. That's what won us the 2010 flag and will win us our next one. I believe we can do it, the boys look hungry and switched on for it.

I wouldn't be downgrading West Sydney Giants either. They are a very good and well drilled footy team. Port were never going to win it, nor score those goals in the last quarter. Their wretched forward game plan saw to that. And it should be noted most times in the second half Port managed to threaten and kicked a goal, W.S.G. soon answered. That's what a winning team does and its what we need to be able to do again if we are going to win this preliminary final.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Gerry Cooper wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote: Not too sure if I’m reading you correctly but I get the impression that you are realistically not extremely confident about us winning. I’m feeling the same way and can only hope that we play at our best for the entire game. If we’re able to do this, we will win. I have no doubt that this is the best way to win.

I'M with Mr De Silva on this one. We need to be bringing more than a quarter and a half of full pressure and commitment as we have been doing for the last few weeks. What has been concerning in our last two defeats has been the lack of a second effort when our opposition has kicked ahead. Defending a lead is not going to win us a grand final. The killer instinct needs to last until the game is done. That's what won us the 2010 flag and will win us our next one. I believe we can do it, the boys look hungry and switched on for it.

I wouldn't be downgrading West Sydney Giants either. They are a very good and well drilled footy team. Port were never going to win it, nor score those goals in the last quarter. Their wretched forward game plan saw to that. And it should be noted most times in the second half Port managed to threaten and kicked a goal, W.S.G. soon answered. That's what a winning team does and its what we need to be able to do again if we are going to win this preliminary final.
PFFTT!

1:9 in the last means nothing does it?

Nor does having a banged up team does it?
Last edited by jonmac1954 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Lazza is correct; it is our flag for the taking.

Yes, both the prelim and GF will be challenges, but challenges we are set to overcome.

The past is irrelevant. Like the super ads say, past performance is no indication of future performance.

The players hold their destiny in their hands, and they could not be better placed; that is all we can, or should, ask for.

Just strap in and cheer on, its all we can do
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Top Giant hints at tough return for star Pie (Nick Daicos)

...Toby Greene suggesting the Giants might physically test out the Magpies' massive inclusion in Nick Daicos.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036648/itl ... ick-daicos
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
ThePieMind

Post by ThePieMind »

qldmagpie67 wrote:GWS strength lays in there ability to run run run all day at a good clip
People who think there just making up the numbers haven’t been watching them closely
The 2nd half the season they were a top 3 side with only 2 losses and both those they had players missing

Clearances without Adams will be a massive issue they get first use of the ball we will be in huge trouble
Our poor field kicking of late will be punished if they intercept like they’ve done the past couple weeks
They exploit any player who doesn’t have the turn of speed to stop them running away from clearances or contests
Sidey on a Wing is a big concern as Kelly likes to role out to the wing on his left and run and carry before pinpointing passes inside 50
We will need to be at our absolute best to overcome these guys don’t be mistaken

They don’t run all day as you suggest. They played two 10 minute bursts in the 2nd QTR in both finals, to win the game. St.K broke even in the 2nd half and PA won it.
GWS faded in both games, after their early onslaught.
We don’t need to fear their running capacity.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Is it true that Collingwood are the only team that has won the flag not playing a prelim final.

1990 as i recall we bet essendon in the semi final in which got us through to the grand final.

1990 prelim was played essendon and west coast with essendon winning at waverley park.

BTW i think by accounts training has been a success all round and i think we primed to win this
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Pies4shaw wrote:Last time we won a preliminary final, Sidebottom had 41 disposals. He was no faster then than he is, now - and GWS is about 5% as good as the team Richmond was in 2018.
And what did he do the following week on the biggest stage against west coast ? Or do we still not dare mention that day ?
Also in the last 3 prelims we’ve lost Sidey has averaged 16.4 disposals a game
The night he had 41(which is a complete outlier in his career) Richmond was happy to let him run around without a opponent backing themselves to shut down our dangerous players
It didn’t work the dangerous players still impacted the game and we won easily
Go watch Hardwick presser again of the 6 Collingwood players he mentions (including Cox who he said was clearly BOG) he doesn’t once mention Sidey

But that has little to no bearing on what happens this week does it
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

ThePieMind wrote:

They don’t run all day as you suggest. They played two 10 minute bursts in the 2nd QTR in both finals, to win the game. St.K broke even in the 2nd half and PA won it.
GWS faded in both games, after their early onslaught.
We don’t need to fear their running capacity.
Champion data says different
There players averaged 17.2% more meters covered than there opposition over the finals this season
What your referring to is making the most of your momentum which is very important as well
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Magpietothemax wrote:

I am always amazed how you manage to slip in an attack on Sidey in every analysis you offer.
In fact, last time we played Jaicos took Kelly (not Sidey)
Of course we will have to be at our absolute best to beat them. Did you say the same thing before we played the Dees?
They are in form - definitely.
Our form though is on the rise: Essendon game, then intense pressure on Melbourne won the QF, next level this week.
I am not overconfident. I just want to highlight that we are prepared for what is necessary.
Can't help but agree with you mttm. While I often agree with much of QM67's posts, I often wonder if perhaps his missus had an affair with Sidey? :shock:

The fact is Sidey has had a terrific year and was one of our absolute best players in the QF. He is in terrific form and would be the last player I'd be worried about. The players who need to lift are McStay, Lipinski and McCreery.
jonmac1954
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jonmac1954 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Top Giant hints at tough return for star Pie (Nick Daicos)

...Toby Greene suggesting the Giants might physically test out the Magpies' massive inclusion in Nick Daicos.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1036648/itl ... ick-daicos
Gee the sniper predicts sniping . . . oh my what a shock!
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Need a flying start like we did against the Dees. Our 19th man (us) will overwhelm them and they’ll be chasing tail all night. As for Toby’s mind games ‘we’re real scared mate’. He should be more worried about their one-armed ruckman getting double teamed by Coxilla and Cameron.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I'm excited but cautiously nervous about Friday night's Preliminary Final vs GWS. They are a talent laden team all across the ground, but so is Collingwood.
No doubt the Collingwood army in full voice should help the cause on Friday's game. However tactically I think two strategic moves if successful would guarantee a Collingwood win;
1. Whoever is playing on Toby Green, Howe or Maynard, needs to pay close attention to not being sucked into the play coming forward but stay on Green's shoulder to stop him from sneaking forward from the on-coming contest to be free in the forward 50 area. This goes against the Collingwood game plan of rolling backs intercepting the opposition forward movements so will the defensive coaching team of Bolton and McRae make a change to something they have been working all year to perfect? I think its worth doing as if Toby Green is held to less than 3 goals I think Collingwood win.
2. I would send Pendlebury to tag Tom Green in the clearance contests. Tom Green is their key to winning contested ball and getting it to the GWS talented outside mids. If Tom Green's influence can be significantly curtailed at the ball-ups I think that will be a big influence on the outcome of the game.

Tom Green played a blinder last week, helped by Callan Ward, and I'm hoping that Ed Allan will be able to mirror that sort of performance next year after another strong pre-season is under his belt.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
MagpiesTheGreat

Post by MagpiesTheGreat »

2 more sleeps...