What are you listening to right now?

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

In my case, absolutely nothing, right now.

My daughter, on the other hand, is in London at the Royal Festival Hall watching the Bert Jansch 80th "birthday" ("anniversary" might have been better) concert.

At half time, she sent me snippets of Robert Plant's performance. Magical! "This was Robert someone", she wrote!!!

Jacqui is singing in the second half - I expect that she is winding her way through House Carpenter, as I type.

I would have killed to be there - the first thing I did when I landed in Manchester in September was check to see whether Jacqui or Danny were playing anywhere while I was in the country. Sadly, it seems that September is a down month for live music, there (although, if I'd been better organised, I could have seen Graham Nash's show). So, anyway, child number 2 is getting her wish. I think it's Wagner for her tomorrow night. Still, Jacqui's voice is her first love.
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Oh well - some of you might enjoy this: https://80plays.bertjanschfoundation.org/
nomadjack

Post by nomadjack »

Living End at Festival Hall last night. 25th anniversary show celebrating their debut album. Feels like yesterday but definitely don't bounce back like I did in the late 90s. Such a great live band and nice to reclaim Festival Hall from Morrison's happy clapper fruitcakes... :D
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Pies4shaw wrote:In my case, absolutely nothing, right now.

My daughter, on the other hand, is in London at the Royal Festival Hall watching the Bert Jansch 80th "birthday" ("anniversary" might have been better) concert.

At half time, she sent me snippets of Robert Plant's performance. Magical! "This was Robert someone", she wrote!!!

Jacqui is singing in the second half - I expect that she is winding her way through House Carpenter, as I type.

I would have killed to be there - the first thing I did when I landed in Manchester in September was check to see whether Jacqui or Danny were playing anywhere while I was in the country. Sadly, it seems that September is a down month for live music, there (although, if I'd been better organised, I could have seen Graham Nash's show). So, anyway, child number 2 is getting her wish. I think it's Wagner for her tomorrow night. Still, Jacqui's voice is her first love.
Sounds awesome, P4S! You must be very proud. Hope you get the chance to go over and see them perform sometime soon.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Thanks, David. Give them an inch and they'll take a mile - she's just WhatsApp called me not 5 minutes ago from Abbey Road studios (and, yes, she walked across).

But there's still one or two things I get to do that she doesn't - when we went to Paul's (now National Trust) former home in Forthlin Rd, Liverpool, together last month, I got to play Let It Be on Paul's piano. :lol: I did tell her to pay closer attention to the piano when she was little - so, now she can "only" sing it. You reap what you sow.... :wink:
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

This is what I'm listening to right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ The fact that they wrote virtually all of the best popular music of the last century and have just put out the best song of the present year (literally half-dead) is going to trigger some people, so it's best not to mention that.
KenH

Post by KenH »

Magpietothemax wrote:This is what I'm listening to right now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg
Glad to see people are happy to hear the Beatles again, I have never got into them and still don't see the fascination and adoration of the band.
But that is me and happy that others enjoy them.
Cheers big ears
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

KenH wrote:
Glad to see people are happy to hear the Beatles again, I have never got into them and still don't see the fascination and adoration of the band.
But that is me and happy that others enjoy them.
Just a bunch of kids from Liverpool that did too much speed in Germany and didn't get their shit together til Bob Dylan introduced them to weed, they wrote a few boppy tunes under the influence and everyone carried on like they were genius, but real musicians would laugh at their fluff.
Flagpies
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

KenH

Post by KenH »

I listened to Now and Then once and that will do me.
Cheers big ears
Pies4shaw

Post by Pies4shaw »

No need to listen to John, Paul, George and Ringo sing it, then - the covers are already proliferating, eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oolqq932QvA

There should be enough of these to keep you going for the next 50 years or so.