Welcome to Collingwood #13 Harry DeMattia

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpie Russ
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

My son's assessment

Bailey Smith
Height: 185cm
Weight: 79kg (83 by some accounts)

STRENGTHS
• Endurance
• Contested ball-winning
• Kicking
• Leadership
• Attitude
• Versatility

Harry DeMattia
Height 185cm
Weight 78kg (as heavy as 84 by some accounts)

STRENGTHS
• Competitiveness

• Kick penetration

• Leadership

• Speed

• Tackling

• Versatility

The main distinction and where Bailey Smith might have a slight edge is pure ball winning, where Smith found much more of the ball as a junior and also potentially class.

But that’s why Bailey Smith went Pick 7 and DeMattia Pick 25.

But they play the same way and DeMattia has scope to be like Smith.

If there is a class difference then HDM has as much chance (if not more) of justifying Pick 25 as Smith has of Pick 7.

Cf Smith draft highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5gOKtCmIVw
burnsy17

Post by burnsy17 »

His “highlights” don’t fill me with much confidence!

But WTF would I know! Hopefully he comes good and learns how to bounce a footy and not kick helicopters
Beware the swooping Magpie.
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

Harry Demattia reminds me a bit of that Collingwood premiership hero from 2010 Ben Johnson. Speedy, left footer and determined tackler. Speed is good and has clear leadership traits. A faster upgrade on Trent Bianco?
In Hine we trust and I'll be interested to see what Hine specials are drafted by the Pies tonight.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I always get a bit frustrated when I read the pre judgements ( especially the knocks) on any new draftee. At pick 25, you will always come with areas that require significant improvement. Good recruiting understands what areas can be fast tracked versus those that will prove more difficult. The club obviously believes a number of his shortfalls can be improved, while also understanding some limitations will likely remain throughout his career. That’s ok, Pendlebury was never quick by foot and Harvey was long considered too short to make it.

Whether we agree or not, the club obviously identified speed around the ball as a priority ( as per their supposed trade targets and the bid on Swans academy player, Cleary ) Given that was their focus, then DeMattia was seen as the next best to fill that need. He comes into one of the best development programs in the competition, so he lacks for nothing and now it’s over to you, Harry. As for us supporters, let’s just keep an open mind and allow the kid some time to develop into the best player he can be at AFL level.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Boot wrote:Harry Demattia reminds me a bit of that Collingwood premiership hero from 2010 Ben Johnson..
I think a perfect comparison. Love it.

Harry looks a far better kick, lol
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Kingsofclutch

Post by Kingsofclutch »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
I think a perfect comparison. Love it.

Harry looks a far better kick, lol
Bit bigger too, but lacks a flag like Benny, we'll have to get onto that.
Flagpies
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Pies2016 wrote:I always get a bit frustrated when I read the pre judgements ( especially the knocks) on any new draftee. At pick 25, you will always come with areas that require significant improvement. Good recruiting understands what areas can be fast tracked versus those that will prove more difficult. The club obviously believes a number of his shortfalls can be improved, while also understanding some limitations will likely remain throughout his career. That’s ok, Pendlebury was never quick by foot and Harvey was long considered too short to make it.

Whether we agree or not, the club obviously identified speed around the ball as a priority ( as per their supposed trade targets and the bid on Swans academy player, Cleary ) Given that was their focus, then DeMattia was seen as the next best to fill that need. He comes into one of the best development programs in the competition, so he lacks for nothing and now it’s over to you, Harry. As for us supporters, let’s just keep an open mind and allow the kid some time to develop into the best player he can be at AFL level.
i agree

as for this one, he certainly has speed, bloody good 0-10 sec too! so much enthusiasm, apparently really invested in the game, ill take it!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Last edited by Take_a_Screamer on Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Back -to-back. What does Harry know that we don’t???

I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Podpicken

Post by Podpicken »

Some harsh judges here. I really like the selection. Speed, tackles hard, can hit a target clearly (described as having 'elite' disposal). You've got to remember we've got the best coach in it, a crackerjack development team, and not to mention Pendles, Maynard, Sidebottom, Daicosx2 and the likes tweaking/improving his game and game day roles.
Better watch this space, I reckon.
Billy Picken, the great No. 25 in the sky!
DT
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 6 times

Post by DT »

Speaks like a coach. Phenomenal. If he can play will be superb
Daicos, impossible angle ... Goal!
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Podpicken wrote:Some harsh judges here. I really like the selection. Speed, tackles hard, can hit a target clearly (described as having 'elite' disposal). You've got to remember we've got the best coach in it, a crackerjack development team, and not to mention Pendles, Maynard, Sidebottom, Daicosx2 and the likes tweaking/improving his game and game day roles.
Better watch this space, I reckon.
Though a Knock on him is his Composure
I am Da Man
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dave The Man
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Dave The Man »

Sounds he could come a Defensive Player/Tagger type
I am Da Man