What pisses you off? Part II: Electric Boogaloo

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

She opens her mouth and speaks
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Nice work.

I got back from Darwin last night to a minor clustercluck of stuff.

First, thermostat in loungeroom heater not working, then this morning, dead possum, on back lawn right under the clothesline when I went to hang out some washing and the new Ute wouldn't start .

Fixed the heater, used a shovel to throw the possum down the back corner of the yard so the smell will hang over next doors pool and got the roadside assist bloke around for the ute. Flat battery in 7 days. WTF? Apparently these things have so much electronics going on even when they're turned off, that the battery can drain quickly. It was down to 6 volts.

After he jumps started it, it let it idel for 30 minutes then took it up the ring road and Hume Freeway to Epping and back, stopping at SuperCheap Auto to buy the same model jump starter the bloke used. $260 but better than being stuck waiting for someone to come over to help when I want to go somewhere.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Storms!

Fly out day abandoned, plane turned around, another night on site.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
eddiesmith
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by eddiesmith »

stui magpie wrote:Nice work.

I got back from Darwin last night to a minor clustercluck of stuff.

First, thermostat in loungeroom heater not working, then this morning, dead possum, on back lawn right under the clothesline when I went to hang out some washing and the new Ute wouldn't start .

Fixed the heater, used a shovel to throw the possum down the back corner of the yard so the smell will hang over next doors pool and got the roadside assist bloke around for the ute. Flat battery in 7 days. WTF? Apparently these things have so much electronics going on even when they're turned off, that the battery can drain quickly. It was down to 6 volts.

After he jumps started it, it let it idel for 30 minutes then took it up the ring road and Hume Freeway to Epping and back, stopping at SuperCheap Auto to buy the same model jump starter the bloke used. $260 but better than being stuck waiting for someone to come over to help when I want to go somewhere.
My battery went flat after just 2 days sitting in the work carpark whilst I was away a couple of months ago. That really sucked as I got back at like 5:30 and then sit in the carpark for another hour with nobody around until RACV arrived.

I ended up buying a new battery from them on the spot, car was 5 years old so was probably due.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Fools who support political parties as if they're barracking for their football team. The Tory budget today was utterly clueless, but rusted-ons were praising it live, as if they were looking at a majestic act of genius.

Eff me dead. People, the more you barrack for a party regardless of what they do, the less incentive they have to do the hard work needed to make proper, sustainable gains. Use your brains: football is a bit of fun, but you don't 'win' anything when your own 'side' worsens the economy.

Fair enough if the opposition is a dangerous fruitcake like Donald Trump, but Starmer is merely boring and uninspiring, which is infinitely better than cluelessly destructive.

Sometimes, you need to get rid of a party so they can reform properly and to break a rut that keeps delivering bad outcomes, even if it's your 'side' (assuming, as I say, the opposition isn't batshite mental).

There really is just no helping some people.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

I have no idea about English Politics or what they're currently doing but agree in principle that people who "support" a political party like a sporting team are generally idiots.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Definitely agree that the Tories need to go, but I also don’t think there’s another politician in the world I’ve ever hated more viscerally than Keir Starmer. So if I had a vote there under their terrible first-past-the-post system I actually think I might have to go third party (whether that be the UK Greens, Lib Dems or whoever), knowing full well it might be a spoiler vote.

And the most depressing thing is, confronted with this awful choice between Sunak and the loathsome Starmer, the realisation that, whoever wins, you have to wait five years for another crack! Australian politics, for all its awfulness, seems a paradise in comparison.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^I don't get the impression he's hated viscerally, as with Corbyn, while they've been dominating in the polls. He simply evokes no emotion, and is mocked for that serial drabness. The problem is, generating attention, any attention, has become a virtue, so even egregious crazies win votes by attracting eyeballs.

If he sticks around long enough his drabness might pull through, as with Albanese, whose election I think showed a mature realisation in Australia that drab is always better than mental. Similarly, I neither like nor dislike Starmer, but he clearly has far less downside than the crazies driving the Tories.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

Our neighbour 2 doors down used to excessively honk their car horn. Sometimes 3-4 times a day. We had words, it somewhat stopped.

A bit over a year on, it's now started up again. The guy is horrific. Unwashed, dirty, lazy, real POS. He's mad at the world. It's his daughters house and this is how he announces his arrival; with four or five long loud honks, with the last one really long. The two closest neighbours have become too scared to act. And one has asked me to let it go. They cant deal with the tension of it all.

I would not say they are threatening or violent. But they are unreasonable and highly inconsiderate. They are uneducated and frankly, just dumb. They are renters. The council, police and real estate have all been contacted.

It's already happened three times today.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Good for you for contacting the cops etc

Assholes shit me
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Inconsiderate arseholes come in all flavours.

Going to play Golf today, there's a narrow road through the park to the carpark. 20kmh zone. I'm driving along and there's 2 young women, both fit, in the activewear, walking along the road side by side yakking blocking the whole lane. I idle up behind them, one looks over her shoulder and completely ignores me, turns back to talking to her friend, so I have to drive around them.

Plenty of room on the grass bitches. Why the fck would you drive to a golf course, park in the carpark (I saw them getting into their cars while I was getting organised) to walk on the fkn road when there's grass everywhere?

Entitled dumbarse arsehats.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Snakes?

I’d toot!
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

No snakes, grass was short. I thought of tooting (also thought of putting the foot down) but I'm trying to not let little things aggravate me, so I just drove around them, muttered to myself and took a deep breath.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Well done you!

Were their runners white? Junior wastes so much time cleaning and painting her white runners! I chuck mine in the machine with stain remover, sometimes it works!