Doing a good deed

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

^Haha, what a beauty. They're little charmers, Westies. I'm told they're also good guard dogs that will let you know if someone is about.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

pietillidie wrote:^Haha, what a beauty. They're little charmers, Westies. I'm told they're also good guard dogs that will let you know if someone is about.
Anyone goes past his house he lets us know. Someone comes through the gate we hear him before the doorbell. We had two, Bonnie was a rescue one and she passed away 2 days before her 17th Birthday in Feb. He's 14 1/2 and has slowed down a bit. Our 8km walks are now 3 km and he passes out afterwards. Great dogs and have an attitude that is referred to as Westitude. Loyal and loving, the best dog I have had in my life and when his day comes I will struggle.
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

^'Westitude' - I love it. That must be up there with best lifespans for all breeds. You'll have to get a pup as he ages. The host of a gardening show we watch here, Gardner's World, just lost his old Golden Retriever, Nellie, but he already had a younger one coming along called Neddie. Apparently, he also got Nellie a couple of years before he lost his original retriever, Nigel.

Fortunately, Westies sound like they live much longer than Goldies, but I thought getting a younger one as the other aged, as he did, was a good idea. Here's the story:

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/news/a ... nell-dies/
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

I have been supporting a single Mother who is a carer for her Teenage Son who has an eating disorder. My ignorance about eating disorders was clear as I never realised it involved males and I have learned a lot. She is one of the people that the System isn't designed to help. She is a wonderful chef but not qualified and to get qualified is simply impossible with her circumstances. I have helped her financially when I can and supported her mentally when needed. She has worked really hard and is about to release a cookbook. We are hoping this helps her get off the system and on her way to independence. I will post a link when the book (eBook and paperback) is available.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

well done you,
post the book if it gets released please, ill buy it,

eating disorders are about control, and yes effects people of all walks of life, and both sexes
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

think positive wrote:well done you,
post the book if it gets released please, ill buy it,

eating disorders are about control, and yes effects people of all walks of life, and both sexes
https://culinarycanon.com/ my friend's book is available for purchase in many forms. I love food and cooking and I am happy to add this to my collection and I will be buying a few hard copies for Xmas Presents.
think positive

Post by think positive »

wow that looks good, ill wait for the actual book, cheers and thanks
pietillidie

Post by pietillidie »

^Awesome, looks great. I have great respect for anyone who can finish and publish a book, any book! It takes incredible focus and persistence to finish a major project like that.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

^^Meghan has been working hard whilst trying to keep her Son healthy and fighting with Services Australia. Amazing person and yes TP, Many are waiting on the hard copy. I grabbed a few e-books to show my support.
think positive

Post by think positive »

I might just do that. Printing over 200 pages though! I like hard copies!
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Well, I posted about my Westie and I have to give a sad update. I noticed I could see his bottom gum and teeth. At first, I thought it was his tongue poking out. He has a growth under his jaw that has pulled the skin down. It's come on all of a sudden. Well, a trip to the Vet and the news isn't great as they believe it's Cancer. Wednesday he goes in for blood, X-Ray, and Biopsy. You wouldn't know it, he's happy, wants his walks, and loves his food. He is on anti-inflammatories for his pain if he has any and antibiotics. They've talked about cutting it out and part of his lower jaw and I can't do that. Really won't know what to do until the results come in. It may just be palliative care and make the call when I know. He's been by my side for 14 1/2 years and we love going for walks and sitting at a brewery and listening to music. I will be lost without the lovable rogue.

I will add I've saved him from a staffy who had him by the throat and saved him from choking to death. I can't save him this time.
think positive

Post by think positive »

Oh honey I’m so very sorry …

Fwiw I believe that’s the correct decision, he won’t understand why he has pain from ann operation, letting him live his best life is a beautiful tribute to your love for him.

I’m watching almost 16 year old Molly fall over just walking around corners, when she stops dusting herself off I will know it’s time.

Bless you and I hope the news is the best it can possibly be, and you get some precious time xxx sending big hugs
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Bugger, sorry to hear Culprit.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

Thank You. It's tough to deal with and yes we outlive our dogs. We lost his Westie mate Bonnie this year in Feb 2 days short of her 17th. My mind had that he would be around a lot longer.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

My friend's book is now available in paperback.

https://www.lulu.com/shop/megan-jane-de ... pageSize=4