Silicosis is Asbestos MKII

Nick's current affairs & general discussion about anything that's not sport.
Voice your opinion on stories of interest to all at Nick's.

Moderator: bbmods

Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Silicosis is Asbestos MKII

Post by Culprit »

The same rhetoric from those making squillions. "It's safe to handle". This will be a generational compensation payout like asbestos yet those making money don't give a shit. If they make 10 million and payout a million in compensation, they see it as a win. Lost my nephew at 34 years of age. My niece who worked in a quarry is a day-by-day issue and an older friend has been given two months. Anyone old enough who went through the Asbestos denials will understand. I keep hearing the song "Blue Sky Mine" from Midnight Oil.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Very similar, that engineered stone shit.

What's got me buggered is why people were cutting it dry without a mask?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

stui magpie wrote:Very similar, that engineered stone shit.

What's got me buggered is why people were cutting it dry without a mask?
Some not all, the dust is in the air from machining. You work in an office inside a factory with crap ventilation you cop it as it's just blowing the dust everywhere. People who had benches installed and the workers grinding it to size in their yards leave the workers leave the dust and the customer sweeps it up. Yes, customers have been impacted. The real cost of compensation isn't known and won't be for a long time. Just like Asbestos.

I will add masks were mandatory in Covid but many a person knew better.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

fair call, I would have thought you'd cut that shit wet to avoid dust in the first place. I had to cut some AC sheet to fit a wall mounted air con, I wore a mask and had water drizzling over the cut so there was no dust.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

I remember pulling brake drums off and blowing dust everywhere. No one used masks back then. Now I use Lasers and have to complete a Laser Safety Officer Course. :shock:
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

How do I get me one of these lasers? Sounds better than a plasma cutter or angle grinder.
Culprit

Post by Culprit »

stui magpie wrote:How do I get me one of these lasers? Sounds better than a plasma cutter or angle grinder.
We are told not to point the laser into the enemy's eyes. It's OK to shoot them, just don't point the laser. I'd love to put Schitts Creek GIF. WTAF, just for effect here.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

I want one.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Blame Israel. They invented Caeserstone
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

I think 4 or 5 guys fitted the Caesar stone benchtops at our holiday house, huge slabs with waterfall ends, dust flying everywhere, I don’t recall them all wearing masks. Bloody gorgeous job. I hope they are ok.

Luckily when I was changing brake discs and shoes, it was post asbestos days. Still very gritty if you breathed it in.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!