Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

He's entitled to a well-earned break, especially off the back of a Premiership.
Wrighty's been arguably the busiest person at the club in the last two years having overseen list management (and fixing the salary cap issues) and appointing Fly back in 2021 amongst other things.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Well earnt break.
As long as Collingwood as a whole can maintain the rage and win the premiership again in 2024.
It will be a big challenge i feel with out his services
As said next man up.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:^
It will be a challenge that we can overcome. Collingwood is not dependent on the one person to function administratively and we have extremely talented people to take over the reins. Also Wrighty will be available for constant consultation and be back in September. Not a huge problem.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

When both Ned Guy left (ummmm pushed out), Mark Anderson quit and Geoff Walsh came and went from an AFL gig for the 20th time, Wrighty immersed himself in their portfolios. His workload over the last 3 years have been the heaviest of any Club counterpart and deserves a break.

I just hope that this 6 months gives him a bout of energy to go hard for another 5 years and there is no underlying issue we don't know about.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

LaurieHolden wrote:Grahame? We'll start calling you Max Walker.

Max Walker: 'And Grahemey Labrouy takes his first wicket'

Bill: 'Grahemey Labrouy? His names Graham, Max.'

Max: 'Well Bill, his teamates have got long and complicated names, seems a pity for this young man to miss out. I reckon I'll just go on calling him Grahemey'

Bill: 'Geez, you're f*cked in the head sometimes, Max'
GOLD! can't recall which album, but thinking it was one of the earlier ones; time to give than all a listen to again over the summer.
The genius of Birmingham.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

By the way yes well earnt break but why 6 months why cant he go on his break now and come back mid season say in june that 6 months isnt it.
Go now Wright come back in June.
Enjoy you break time off wright but go now so you dont miss months july-september.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

If he needs a break, then so be it. He certainly deserves it. However, I just hope he comes back. His has been the single most important appointment to our club for decades imho.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:By the way yes well earnt break but why 6 months why cant he go on his break now and come back mid season say in june that 6 months isnt it.
Go now Wright come back in June.
Enjoy you break time off wright but go now so you dont miss months july-september.
You are not considering the needs and plans of his wife and family when a holiday like this is organised. It’s not just about him. And the club is always bigger than the individual. I have absolutely no doubt that they will cope well.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

It's certainly an unusual situation with Wright and if we hadn't won the Premiership I'm not sure if we'd all be so forgiving but we did win it and if having 6 months off now means Wright is refreshed and prepared to commit to Collingwood long term upon his return then it'll be worth it.
In reality Wright joined us as general manager of football but had to take on dual roles once Guy wasn't retained as list manager.
He was a driving force behind the recruitment of McRae and was also the architect of us landing McStay, Mitchell, Hill and Frampton at the end of 2022. We secured Schultz this off season.
Given the added workload and responsibility he has taken on since his arrival and that it culminated in the 2023 Premiership it's hard to argue he hasn't earned the right to ask for us to accommodate his and his wifes wishes.
With experienced AFL people like Kelly, Browne, Hine, McRae, Leppitsch and Bolton all within our football club I feel we're well placed to cover for Wright during his sabbatical.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
WhyPhilWhy?
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 23 times

Post by WhyPhilWhy? »

A well earned break to refresh and be ready to land the big fish in the 2024 trade period.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

While Graham Wright’s responsibilities will be shared - it’s Brendon Bolton who will predominantly be taking his place as football boss.
Hayden Skipworth will fill Bolton’s role as a more senior assistant.
Wright’s sabbatical begins in early March.

https://twitter.com/xandermcg9/status/1 ... 5ybnw&s=19
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
joemamone@gmail.com

Graeme Wright

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

The team's performance seems to have coincided with the absence of the team's "real leader". I am pleased that Wright has take a well deserved break, but I wonder whether his absence has not created an atmosphere (though subconsciously of complacency) that all is good and in place for success. Why else would he feel comfortable taking 6 months off!! It has always been understood that success in any field permeates from the top down. Just a thought.
Believer
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

He actually stated that he needed the time off and even offered his resignation to Craig Kelly who was the one that said no we need you so go away and come back and resume your role.
Craig Kelly has taken a bit of the workload but it sounds like Bolton has taken a lot more responsibility and Leppa less which he is displeased about. There seems to be a little friction there so we will see how that plays out during the season.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

FFS there are disagreements at most clubs. This is muckraking. And **** Melbourne for poaching Petty and making Collingwood the headline to distract from their drug culture problem.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/videos/afl/afl ... qw6yi66xro