On the Track (training updates) 2024

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It’s been enjoyable reading all the track watchers feedback and a thanks to all who have posted their notes in this thread. Thought Elliot looked distinctly slimmer in those training pics and hopefully that will help him get around the ground even better. There also seems to be a general consensus amongst those training notes that McInnes seems to be one of the big improvers in the pre season. If that translates to on field, then we will go some way to offsetting the McStay loss ( more so on the score board than around the ground )
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 151 times

Pre-season Training - January 15th.

Post by LaurieHolden »

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Tue Jan 16, 2024 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
LaurieHolden

Post by LaurieHolden »

From Jen @ BF

A late start this morning, not til about 9:40am or so.

A strong set of numbers. Only Josh Daicos was missing.
McStay made an appearance, doing some kicking for goal (right leg) some handballing, chatted to some fans, who he mentioned he would be back next January.

Checkers still away from the main group doing some running, but did participate in a light kicking drill early on.

Carmichael did some drills, but then spent the rest of his time running with Maynard and Mihocek.

Today's session was focused on fluid ball moment, and it was slick. The skills are getting better every session, and moving the ball in quick unison. Forming good connection between mids. backs and forwards.

Howe was back in defence.

During match sim, it went as follows ~

Pendles played at half back in match sim
Crisp also back in defence
Ryan was in the middle.

Eyre v Teakle
Hustwaite v Jordy
Fin v Lippa
Nick v Allan
Ryan v Bytel

Eyre had another impressive session, making him one of the front runners for a spot on the list. He did lots of spoiling from contests, and he actually is a real booming nice kick for his size.
Hustwaite and Bytel did some nice things
Sofronidis got involved a little more than usual, and had some nice kicking during some plays.

Teakle did a little bit ruck in some parts of match sim, but mostly spent his time forward with Eyre for company.

Pendles just defying his age, and moving like he is 20, not 36.
Bobby showed some tricks.
Fin was very impressive through the midfield, and pushed forward and kicked a few goals, one to finish off match sim from 40 metres.

Harrison was busy up forward, getting on the end of some good passages of play which resulted in him getting some shots on goal.
Both Cox and Cameron performed strongly in the ruck and forward.
2023 AFL Premiers
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Good stuff. Love the positive updates on Ash and Beau. There are more levels yet in those lads.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

To be fair to Ash as a mature age recruit, we sometimes take for granted that he's a 3year player taken in the 2021 MSD. Missed pretty much a full season of games through injury in that time. By way of comparison the Maccas from the 202 draft - McCreery, McInnes and Macrae are all 4th year players with different paths to success.

We always lament that KP take a bit longer. Ash is not your typical KP but has all the attributes with his athleticism. Would be great to see him attain some sustained success if he wants it at AFL level
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^ ^
Was interested to read Side by Sides comments on Ed Allan. Totally agree about this kids creative hand ball. I posted something very similar in the VFL thread last season. His handballs are particularly damaging and he has good 360 awareness. He’s not quite in the N Daicos mould of creative ball use (not many are) but he has a very good understanding of giving the ball off to a player in a much better position. Hes remains conservative by foot and that’s smart until he adapts to the tempo. This kid’s got some weapons, so hopefully he gets the opportunity to maximise his talents sooner than later.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

One year later, both Ed Allen and Jacob Ryan have gone from boys and are looking like men.

I have a feeling we may have gotten really lucky with these two,
Ed looks far more self-assured and is trending towards being a really imposing player. In an A grade sort of way.

Jacob has gone from a pimply faced teen to just starting to harden his body. Tom Stewart like.

Early calls... lol
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

You gotta call them as you see them and your comments add to the overall picture that shows our recruiting staff have been very good over the recent past. The final hurdle is for these players to display the potential, talents and skills that they showed to impress our recruitment team.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

The Black and White Lion wrote:To be fair to Ash as a mature age recruit, we sometimes take for granted that he's a 3year player taken in the 2021 MSD. Missed pretty much a full season of games through injury in that time. By way of comparison the Maccas from the 202 draft - McCreery, McInnes and Macrae are all 4th year players with different paths to success.

We always lament that KP take a bit longer. Ash is not your typical KP but has all the attributes with his athleticism. Would be great to see him attain some sustained success if he wants it at AFL level
Looking back at some of the games from last year - and even the year before (I have be rewatching in anticipation of the season ahead) some of Johnson's highlights are amazing - particularly his marking, but he is also a great finisher.

I dont think I am saying anything that hasnt been said before, but in terms of raw talent he is 11 out of 10. Perhaps coming from a more circuitous pathway (to AFL - that is, he didnt go to private school in Melbourne and play TAC Cup and have a dietition when he was 15 for example...) the fitness, commitment and discipline to deliver on that potential week in, week out has been a little header to come by. I too desperately hope he can become a Pies legend like Bobby Hill now is (in my mind) - and I think he is at the right club, with the right coaching to do it.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Quincy

Post by Quincy »

warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Thank you for sharing, Quincy.

Based on this report, I am very bullish about the following players who can make their mark in 2024.

Begg- was always going to take time, but continues to develop nicely.

Steene- has played senior football in SANFL and, like Begg, is a developing player- certainly has a great frame to build upon.

Allan- Is probably ahead of where I thought he may be at this stage- has clearly put some serious gym time into his frame- has elite pace and some very good skills by foot and hand.

McInnes- has teased with his attributes to date but now has the body of an AFL player and will be a lock by mid-year in this team.

Johnson- similar to McInnes- if one views the footage of the players on the ground after the Premiership of 2023, it is hard to suggest that anyone was more excited about the outcome than Johnson himself- he is very good mates with Bobby Hill and McCreery and would love to be part of the team moving forward.

Macrae- whilst Adams will clearly be a loss to our midfield group, Macrae offers a ready-made strong body to fill that void.

Carmichael- people may forget his contributions in his early games; a goal-kicking mid who is very strong in the contest.

DeMattia, Jath, Dean and Jakob Ryan- all will be developing their craft further in 2024

I think Eyre and Bytel will be elevated to the Senior list-

Eyre has good hands and is an excellent and long kick- I think his time at the Bombers was hampered by troublesome hamstring issues (shades of early Darcy Moore) but he is now in his second elite AFL environment and has been consistently impressive on and off the track.

Bytel, similarly, has been troubled early in his AFL career by injuries. It is important to note that despite playing very little football at the end of his junior career (he had stress fractures in his back) he was still touted as a Top Ten pick in that draft. He has been untroubled by the intense workload during our pre-season and the leg injuries that troubled his time at St Kilda seem to be in the past.

Bytel has two qualities that appear to be valued highly by the Magpies: he enjoys tackling and pressuring the ball carrier and he has confidence to 'back-himself' against every opponent.

For the naysayers (outside of the Club), I believe that the depth of the Collingwood list will become very evident in 2024. The intensity of the competition for spots on the primary list (let alone in the first team) will ensure that complacency will not be an issue.

I think that the Collingwood VFL team will play finals in 2024- it is hard to imagine that with so much talent on the final list that our seconds would not be in contention.

Finally, do not be surprised if Dan McStay plays late in 2024. It is only mid-January, but he appears to have come through the surgery very well and is already out on the track and doing a power of work.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

Pies2016 wrote:^^ ^
Was interested to read Side by Sides comments on Ed Allan. Totally agree about this kids creative hand ball. I posted something very similar in the VFL thread last season. His handballs are particularly damaging and he has good 360 awareness. He’s not quite in the N Daicos mould of creative ball use (not many are) but he has a very good understanding of giving the ball off to a player in a much better position. Hes remains conservative by foot and that’s smart until he adapts to the tempo. This kid’s got some weapons, so hopefully he gets the opportunity to maximise his talents sooner than later.
I see a future where Allen is shooting out handballs to both Daics; exciting times
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
LaurieHolden

Pre-season training - January 17th

Post by LaurieHolden »

Pre-season training - January 17th c/- Jen @ BF.

Wet morning, but the rain didn't stop the boys from going out on the track. I went over the the cafe side of the ground and to get out of the rain, stood on the benches for a better view.

Pretty much a full squad except for JD, and I think Jakob Ryan. I don't recall seeing him there.
The two academy kids were there again, they look like they'll be good players, especially the blonde. Played some match sim. They seem to go well v AFL players.

They did some experimentation during match sim to see who can play where. They put Fin, Lippa on the wing. Reef. Allan. Beau in the middle.
Howe on the wing. Pendles (in his rare long sleeves) and crisp rotated off half-back.
Had Sidey and Carmy in the middle also. Just rotating as many players through there as possible to get a look.

The intent with the way they were moving the ball was aggressive. Just run and run, move the ball up forward at all costs. Whether it's along the wing, or through the middle.

While this won't mean much right now, not until after Feb, but these were the match sim teams.

Black:
Lippa, Allan, Cox, Howe, Nick, Beau, Markov, Dean, Steene, Moore, DeMattia, Frampton, Pendles, Mitchell, Reef, Kreuger, HH, Schultz, Noble

White:
Elliott, Jordy, Murphy, DC, Crisp, Sidey, Richards, Fin, Begg, Carmy, Hill, TJ, WHE, IQ

SSP
*Eye, Sofronidis, Hustwaite, Teakle were on the white team
*Bytel and Sullivan were on the black team

*Johnson was doing some running, after they decided to deload him a bit. He has been working hard, but he will be back with the squad tomorrow Skipworth said.

*Bruzzy and Mihocek were doing rehab stuff. Mihochek has been dealing with a calf, was involved in some drills; but he should be back in main training tomorrow or Monday.

They did well in handling the conditions given how wet the ground and ball would have been with the constant rain. There was a lot of work being done with stoppages, and ground balls.

There was a big drill where the squad split into two big groups, squared in into a section working through stoppage plays.

Match was then shortly after which went for about 20 minutes, probably the longest they have done so far. They had to start ramping it up given time is ticking. Only a week and a half before the start of feb.

Post the session, Mitchell was seen working through handball drills with Fin. Allan and HH.

Eyre was really aggressive with his spoiling and spoiling with intent. He then used his trusty left foot to set up the attack going forward. During match sim, he spent 100% TOG. He was aggressive on the ball, even if he makes some mistakes he gets up and back in the action. The defenders applauded him for a number of his contest work, pressure on the ground and spoiling. Had a contest with Cox who had gone forward, and he made a 50/50 ball, knocking it out to stop any influence Cox may have had in the air.

Sofronidishad some good moments in his kicking. Seemed to rotate with Markov in defence, so probably that running type player role wise. But was mostly unsighted and fumbly when trying to pick up a ground ball out during match sim.

Teaklewas doing some ruck work and forward but can't say he did anything that stood out.

Begg - I thought was really good. Dominated Coxy in the ruck, won his own ball and clearance, moved forward also. Just looks stronger this pre-season.

Noble - was aggressive off half back, set up play down the middle, or along the wing with his run, had a goal saving smother -- heath shaw like. Won the plaudits of his fellow defenders.
2023 AFL Premiers
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Who are the current academy players? Is IQ's little bro Luke Quaynor one of them?
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Many thanks to those posting training reports. It's greatly appreciated by all us Nicksters I'm sure.

I agree with Warbuton Laddy that our depth looks stronger this year.

My main hope is we don't have any more serious injuries between now and the start of the season.