Graham Wright - ex-General Manager of Football

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Graham wright must come back from his hoilday his holiday has wreaked our season.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

Honestly, ignore the noise. Journos are muckraking for big Collingwood headlines and AFL wants the heat off the Melbourne drug dealers. Eddie should pull his head in and put his foot down. Professional disagreements happen all the time in the workplace.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:Graham wright must come back from his hoilday his holiday has wreaked our season.
Seriously? If we told him to come back, he'd resign which was his original plan. It was Kelly and Brown who pitched the idea of taking LSL then returning to his job.
We have enough good people around Fly, Wright will be back in time for finals and to see us through the draft and trade period. Plus, If Fly really needs to pick his brains, he can call him. That was part of the deal.
Day to day onfield performance is with the coaches and players. They're the ones who need to fix it.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

:lol: :lol:
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Newelly
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Newelly »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:Graham wright must come back from his hoilday his holiday has wreaked our season.
He'll be back to help his to a good 2025 season. This one is likely write off but we will get through it. Best time to get getting draft picks before the Tassie team compromises the draft in post season 2025 and 2026
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Can’t help but think that Graham Wright is the most important staff member at Collingwood.
When he arrived everything started falling into place and now that he is on LSL it is evident things are not the same.

It’s amazing how few outstanding leaders/managers there are.
- Side By Side -
Newelly

Post by Newelly »

slangman wrote:Can’t help but think that Graham Wright is the most important staff member at Collingwood.
When he arrived everything started falling into place and now that he is on LSL it is evident things are not the same.

It’s amazing how few outstanding leaders/managers there are.
I would be amazed about the dearth of good managers if I hadn't worked in 5 cities in Australia and experienced precious little good management. He does appear to be a very good football manager.
magpieazza

Post by magpieazza »

Would it have been better to leave Leppa and Bolton stay in their roles and just get Kelly and maybe someone temporary part time in?
Rather than spoil three positions ?
Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

magpieazza wrote:Would it have been better to leave Leppa and Bolton stay in their roles and just get Kelly and maybe someone temporary part time in?
I'd call it good management. You get 4 good people to each pick up some higher level functions, Leppa and Bolton pick up some of Wright's stuff and the other 2 cover them in the day to day coaching stuff. They all get new growth and learning opportunities, minimal disruption to the players and everyone is happy.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Newelly

Post by Newelly »

stui magpie wrote:
magpieazza wrote:Would it have been better to leave Leppa and Bolton stay in their roles and just get Kelly and maybe someone temporary part time in?
I'd call it good management. You get 4 good people to each pick up some higher level functions, Leppa and Bolton pick up some of Wright's stuff and the other 2 cover them in the day to day coaching stuff. They all get new growth and learning opportunities, minimal disruption to the players and everyone is happy.
If it is worth anything I agree :)
princem007

Post by princem007 »

I didn’t see Wrighty running around on the field in 2023, it’s up to the players to perform, wrighty could be on the moon wouldn’t make any difference. Purely coincidental we are in a slump to start our season, I don’t think it would have been any different, like I said I didn’t see him getting too many kicks on the field last year.
Go Pies...Premiers 2010
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 148 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

I still reckon Wright, an old Devenport lad, is going to do a Dimma Hardwick. Take a break from footy and take a blank cheque equivalent from the AFL to establish the list and football department of the Tasmania Devils.
We know it's going to happen; we just don't want to admit it.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

He’s dead to me if he pulls that crap on us.
Buon Giorno
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Big T wrote:He’s dead to me if he pulls that crap on us.
It would be disappointing, but I'd have nothing but respect for him with how he pulled the club together through 2021 with phasing out Buckley, appointing Fly and sorting out our list management troubles at the time.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Post by BazBoy »

Might be a “Devil” of a job retaining GW
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right