Pre-Match. Magpies v. Hawks. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

warburton lad wrote:^
Very true. Unstoppable footy is playing chaos ball, taking risks while running hard both ways and applying manic pressure. Unsociable football is thuggery under a passable name with the aim to get the opposition suffer an injury or two in strongman tackles that are borderline legal. I’m sure McRae and the support staff are all over this tactic and will have a great counter attack.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

Dean, Johnson, Markov and now seemingly Macrae.
Not sure why some would be at all surprised and it's reassuring to know that Fly is prepared to give opportunity but take it away quickly if your form doesn't live up to expectations.
We are the reigning Premier after all so our standards and expectations for this season should be higher than those teams in rebuild mode.
My only possible caveat would be that I like the idea of one in one out when it comes to our veterans and junior players.
So, for example, if Macrae is out then Harrison gets his shot. Likewise, if Sidebottom comes in it's at the expense of another veteran or experienced player.
By doing this we are not only lessening the load on our aging players across the home & away season but keeping one eye on the future by giving exposure to the kids.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
piffdog
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

^ agree with that. Got to find balance for both the future and the present. Fortunately we snatched a flag and that can’t be taken away whatever happens next. I don’t want to see us plummet to 16th when our old guys all retire, but I don’t want us to be too rubbish in the near term either.

Potentially, once you’ve had success, this is the hardest part of coaching. Richmond and Eagles got it very wrong. Melbourne were aided by having Jackson and getting a kings ransom - part of which they blew on Grundy. We’ve already given up a bit to stay in the hunt. We also have some good 26 and under players who need to keep getting air time and developing to take over the torch.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

McRae wouldn’t believe his luck if Maguiness was sent to Nick. The options that open up to offset any Hawthorn hard tag ( as opposed to any run with role ) are endless. Bring it on.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Moore out AFL app got a virus
KenH

Post by KenH »

Do you know this for certain? Or have you heard a whisper?
Cheers big ears
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:Moore out AFL app got a virus
Just named in the team so this is incorrect…
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
David
Has liked: 1 time

Post by David »

Macrae has been left out, along with Richards and Harrison. Final bench (including whoever will be named sub) is a bit different from last night: it’s now Crisp, Cox, Sidebottom, McCreery, Quaynor.

Nice to see Noble in the starting 18!
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

[quote="lazzadesilva"]Noble will picked in the 18 to take the field. He deserves to be treated with respect unlike last season when he was dumped for the GF having played all year. That still doesn’t sit well with me irrespective of winning the flag
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

David wrote:Macrae has been left out, along with Richards and Harrison. Final bench (including whoever will be named sub) is a bit different from last night: it’s now Crisp, Cox, Sidebottom, McCreery, Quaynor.

Wow, that is quite a strange Final bench. I hope Beau is not the sub, and can't see how IQ could be either. I am thinking the sub will be Sidey.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Cam
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 22 times

Post by Cam »

Hawks and Blues got us last year during our heavy load training block before finals. I expect us to have a bit more run in us this time around.
Get back on top.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

David wrote:Macrae has been left out, along with Richards and Harrison. Final bench (including whoever will be named sub) is a bit different from last night: it’s now Crisp, Cox, Sidebottom, McCreery, Quaynor.

With Moore supposedly sick there needs to be a built in cover in case he can’t last the game out
Checkers could go back as emergency if required
That would mean
Cox or Cameron to rest at FF
Based on the way we played last week and how we play our best football
IQ and McCreery are required for there speed
With McRae out Crisp will be needed to play in the centre chopping out for Mitchell
That leaves Sidey as sub
He can come on late 3rd quarter to give either Pendles or WHE a rest for final term we should have the game secured by then
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Or since he's been our second best player, year in and year out, since Swan retired, Sidebottom might, you know, play when the match is there to be won.

Equals Tony Shaw's number of games for the Club tomorrow and will move clear into second place all-time behind Pendlebury in his next game after that. At some point, you're going to have to acknowledge that Steele is one of the handful of genuine Collingwood all-time greats to have taken the field since 1958.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

^^^Well said Pies4shaw! Undoubtedly, has and still is one of our best! Would be one of the first picked every week!
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

^^^Sidey’s an amazing player still…is rated harshly on here by some nufties who don’t see or value the work he does off the ball and with it to make others around him better. It was evident from his very first couple of games he was a ‘player’ and would be a star. Love you Sidey!
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...