Anzac Day. Pies v. Dons.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Training is always 'open'.

Usual schedule is training Tuesday & Thursday.
It may change this week due to ANZAC day but I didn't see them training yesterday when I went past.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Sorry all. I’m really confident of a pies win in a canter. That usually means we’re gonna get pumped. This is why I generally take a glass have empty view of Collingwood.

I may have also said after the Brisbane game we’d win 10 in a row from here.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Larry

Post by Larry »

Thanks DB
What time is it normally on Tuesday I might just try my luck.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

I’ll put my hand up as confident of a win (for once). Won’t be easy but we should be good enough, particularly now we have some momentum and form on our side.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Piesnchess wrote:ha ha, what a joke, the so called Essendon ****, edge allright, first 20mins of crash and bash , thuggery , to upset opponent, then the dickheads run out of gas, and other side hits back hard. We can and will take these overrated pricks, and their shitty edge, Woods by 22 points, lock it in.
Yeah agree Piesnchess, we should play like we played last Saturday and overcome their deficiencies like IMO, they will go in too tall and our running game will get us over the line. The team confidence is high and each game, we seem to have a player who can rise up and play a blinder. This is the game that is the “Clayton’s GF” crowd atmosphere provider and as the reigning premiers, we will be celebrating a hard fought win by 14 points.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

^^^^^

I think we are a mostly superior team across each line to them. However it will depend on whether Good Collingwood or Bad Collingwood turn up and for how long.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

Safe to say most posters wouldn't have watched many Essendon games in great detail, more so going on the seasons or tipping results to date.
It's to be seen if they can play 4 quarters of intense ANZAC day football, however I'm in no doubt Brad Scott will use this as a statement game for contested football and a mark of gaining a regular starting spot in their 22. I can see this match being a real head over the ball contest.
If Bytel gets a call-up for us I won't be surprised. Having another big frame alternating through the middle might be required.
On that front, Dylan Shiel is likely to gain a recall for the Dons after 24 disposals, eight clearances, four tackles in a narrow away loss to Southport.
They've got a good B grade list that bats pretty deep, perhaps lacking consistent A grade talent to give them the extra edge, but I don't think they'll be just turning up for the pre-game entertainment either.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Okay, so what's the usual winning sequence for ANZAC Day over the years?
We win three on the trot, then we drop one?
Since 2005:
Pies 2006/2007/2008; dopers 2009 [just].
Pies 2010/2011/2012; dopers 2013
Pies 2014/2015/2016; dopers 2017
Pies 2018/2019/2020* [abandoned]; dopers 2021
Pies 2022/2023/...

Does that W/L ratio read correctly to the stats gurus here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anzac_Day_match
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

^^ From what I saw in the VFL on the weekend, Bytel is not near best 23 at the moment regardless of his size.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Looking at Essendons results so far this year, nothing outstanding. Watching some parts of their games, just par for course.

Sometimes you look a million $ if the opp lets you, but go to water against a well honed team.

If we play anywhere like the last 3 qrts on Sat, they are no chance.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

Pies to pull away in the last and win by 34 points.

Bobby will win another medal.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

LaurieHolden wrote:Safe to say most posters wouldn't have watched many Essendon games in great detail, more so going on the seasons or tipping results to date.
It's to be seen if they can play 4 quarters of intense ANZAC day football,.
That the key for both teams. Neither team has put in a 4 qtr winning effort so far this year. If either team does it, then they win.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

think positive wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:...
It's really a coin toss type of game. No reason both sides can't win this one.
soooo.... a draw?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:
A win for football...
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Complacency must be banished!!
We have played only 3/4 game so far this year (ie the last three quarters of the game against PA) which we can truly say fully reflects our premiership form of 2023.
We have yet to prove that we can consistently bring this to the table.
Essendon is much improved in many respects compared to last year. Peter Wright is available for selection this week, which adds to our defensive tasks.
In our last game, WHE turned the clock back to 2018, but we can't assume that -now aged 30 - he can do that regularly.
Harrison Jones is demonstrating that he has the capabilities of becoming a champion (I wish we had tried to prise him out of hte Bombers last year, when he was offered only a 1 year contract).
To win this game, we will need to bring absolutely the same level of pressure that we did against PA.
Essendon's loss to PA I believe is no reflection of their actual playing level.
We need to make sure we hit the ground running.
A start like we made last week would be catastrophic.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Think we will make Steele or Pendles the sub, and McInnes playing in the 22. Otherwise unchanged.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins