Anzac Day. Pies v. Dons.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Just got home from Mt Evelyn Dawn service, lovely bush setting, kookaburras chirping, big crowd, to remember my Dad, 6yrs WW2, Lieutenant, and 3 Great Uncles all killed in WW1. Very moving. Now all fired up for the big match, time to show the arrogant Dons who has the REAL EDGE. ! Woods by 14 -22 points. Go Woods. !!
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
think better
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 26 times

Post by think better »

Everyone knows that after the Edge there's just a cliff
I think therefore I think - I think
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I’m not sure what the plan is for Harrison but to pull him out of the VFL team seems a bit excessive if the plan is / was to only play him as sub. They could have easily only played him for a half last week if their thinking is to make him the sub today. I hope Harrison gets a full game today, he’s an improved version and a bigger body on last year and a good showing would at least give us some confidence on the next wave coming through.
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

^ He'll be sub. Reef would have been if not for the forward line clicking into gear last weekend.

That makes Reef superfluous to our needs and Harvey comes in as sub.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
joemamone@gmail.com

Post by joemamone@gmail.com »

So Reef is omitted. Wonderful! I just do not think they are using him to match his strengths. There is no dare in selection all is same same, quite vanilla really.
Believer
the fuzz

Post by the fuzz »

^ Why go for a daring selection after we finally clicked last week?
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

In two minds about this match.

The 5-day turnaround still concerns me. We played excellent football last Saturday and our pressure numbers were very high but I just hope that doesn't leave us flat footed with a shorter than usual turnaround. Our best football is better than Essendon's when all things are equal, but Essendon are capable of an upset if they put their best foot forward and we're a little off in key metrics.

On the other hand, I think Essendon opting to play Goldstein, Draper, Jones and Wright all in the one team will leave them too top heavy and slow, which could allow us easy run to pressure and transition. I was expecting them to drop Draper, so it's interesting they're going for height and aerial dominance to beat us.

We always play well on Anzac Day. We've won 13 of our last 17 in the fixture and we have a 17-1-10 head to head record in our favour. Hopefully we keep maintaining this good record.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
lazzadesilva
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

joemamone@gmail.com wrote:So Reef is omitted. Wonderful! I just do not think they are using him to match his strengths. There is no dare in selection all is same same, quite vanilla really.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Reef only played a few mins, and may be better off playing a full VFL game this week.

Harrison (if sub) with or without the slight chance of rain, could inject some pace pain after half-time.

I'm happy to see either, actually. Both in the same boat, needing exposure at the top level, and both need to be seen where they are at. Both have the potential to be long term.
scoobydoo
Been liked: 5 times

Post by scoobydoo »

lazzadesilva wrote:
joemamone@gmail.com wrote:So Reef is omitted. Wonderful! I just do not think they are using him to match his strengths. There is no dare in selection all is same same, quite vanilla really.
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

If there is a bit of rain and the ball becomes slippery,
watch out! Essendon big men will drop marks and our small men
will run riot. I think Magpies by 5 goals.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 86 times

Post by Pies2016 »

It’s only round seven but this game feels like there’s more riding on this than previous ANZAC day matches. We’re looking for confirmation that the Pies are back in town and the Bombers are desperate to show they can knock off one of the big boys. There’s going to be a lot of narrative around this outcome.
Statistically, our biggest turnaround is from where our scoring origins have come from. Last year, it came from opposition turnovers in our defence but this year our turnaround has coincided with the pressure that comes from retaining the ball in our forward line. Based on that, the formula for success is pretty simple. Win more ball in midfield than they do and have our front six at their defensive best when it goes in. Might also explain why Harrison was picked over McInnes. Surely this one is going to be close.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Take_a_Screamer
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

I was puzzled too about Harrison
Thought he was a half forward, not a midfielder.

Harrison has been made the Sub.
Good luck Magpies, may the best team win (i.e.Magpies).

Congratulations to Scott Pendlebury for reaching 10,000 disposals today.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️