Pre-Match. Pies v. Blues. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Markov getting possessions and disposals in the VFL but his kicking efficiency I has been poor missing targets regularly. Small ground and few marking targets however.

JDG and Titch, give em a rest if needed and get them right for a longer period. Carmichael and Sullivan in otherwise.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

In Carmichael McRae kruger
Out JDG Mitchell Side (managed)
Time we get it right at the selection table Mitchell and JDG was under an injury cloud Anzac Day now we pay the price
Get it right this time
No wonder we are out of the 8
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

^ has Kruger played any VFL?

This might be controversial, but Degoey in current form isn't a huge loss. His (Degoey) disposal has been more of a liability than help. He alone won't be the difference between winning and losing.

In Mcrae, Markov , McInnes
Out Mitchell and Degoey, Sidey

Play Mcare in the middle for the whole game, play Mcinnes full forward. Markov as sub.

As I said, I don't think we are any chance of winning this game. But I really want to see a tad more creativity at selection. This broken record of same people in for same people out is getting very old.

Okay maybe some of these guy in the long run are not at AFL level, but you won't know unless you play them :roll:
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

If JDG and Mitchell are out then it is not looking promising.
The Black and White Lion

[quote="derkd"]^ has Kruger played any VFL?

Yes he played last year and has been in intense recovery ever since. He’s ready. He’s ready to watch from the sidelines that is. Not anticipating he plays a senior match again barring some gross misfortune to others and the reverse for him. Tough luck son but he’s out at the end of this year
derkd

Post by derkd »

The Black and White Lion wrote:^
He might play again, unlikely he gets more than two quaters worth of football.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
woodys_world69

Post by woodys_world69 »

some real hate in here for Kruger lol
he would be in the seniors if he didnt get injured earlier in the year.

hes the best key forward we have behind mcstay
yes we had Johnson kick a handful of goals last 2 seasons but once the opposition found out his softness he was exploited, and will be forever.

we need Kruger to crash packs and bring the footy down to our smalls.
derkd

Post by derkd »

woodys_world69 wrote:^
A tad unfair to say 'hate' i don't think any of us here hate him, would love nothing more than to see Kruger succeed. Sadly the reality is he has never been able to string a meaningful number of games together without some kind of injury. History says, you get to this point in your career and your still battling, your unlikely to become what you hoped.

I just shake my head when posters keep putting his name up for games like he will magically solve our issues by being selected. I think the club (as unfortunate as this sounds) should have made the call last year.
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

We got done at clearance last week. Imagine going into a game without Titch and Jordy against the best clearance team in the league.

The Blues may rack up 50 clearances on Friday, god help our backline.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 149 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

So, the ledger stands at 131W-4D-129L. There was a time I never thought we'd pull in front of them. I love these clashes, my fondest memories are being part of the blockbuster 80k+ crowds of the 80's and 90's and any wins over the Blues.
There's plenty of Blues supporters banging on about Charlie Cameron and Harry McKay, but last time I checked, a Coleman Medal is an individual award, a Premiership Medal is a team award.

If we go into this without JDG, Mitchell or both, and expecting to match them head-to-head in the midfield, it's going to be a long day. Get Macrae back into the centre mix, and don't hang him out to dry if the Blues midfield do a clearance number on us.

Tactically, we need to set our defence up to have the best chance to combat the Blues twin threats. They have not kicked more than a hundred points against us in 10 years. With that, play an extra man back to crowd the backline to assist our defenders. So as not to impinge the 6-6-6 ruling, have a defensive winger positioned on the edge of the square and peel off from the bounce.
Markov or preferably Jakob Ryan gets a re-start. I view their work-rate would suit this tactical approach.

Then have one of our HFF play higher up the ground. I'd like to see Bobby & Jamie rotate in this role, create headaches for the opposition with their dash and flair. McInnes as a sub would seem to fit.
That leaves our forward line open for our small forwards to work into space.
Last edited by LaurieHolden on Wed May 01, 2024 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
derkd

Post by derkd »

^ not sure why, I have a very very bad feeling about this game. I know we rarely if ever get belted. This game for me, has the feeling that a belting could be coming.
Dark Beanie
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Krueger is scheduled to play in the VFL this Saturday.
Hopefully he can get through this game unscathed but the odds are not good.

He tends to have a kamikazee style of play and yes, he can crash packs but usually injures himself in the process.
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
The Black and White Lion

Other than being realistic about his prospects at the end of the year. Yep would love Krueger to play and make a difference but the evidence base is low to date. Good luck to him if he can turn it around now and make it. I hope he does get some match fitness and consistency in the VFL. I’m not confident he will make it however I’m happy for him to prove me wrong also
What'sinaname
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

Titch has been ruled out and JDG very unlikely according to Seven
Fighting against the objectification of woman.