Pre-Match. Pies v. Blues. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Shocked that we have replaced both JDG and Titch with only one midfielder, who moreover is playing his first game.
I am wondering if the inclusion of Markov is to allow Bruzza to spend alot of time in the middle, and/or Naicos.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

Midfield stacked with midgets, might need Noble and Schultz to go Voltron style and form into a big bodied midfielder to fight Cripps and Walsh
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Why have we named John Noble at CHF? Is this just to confuse the enemy?
Interesting that IQ is named on the interchange.
Are we thinking of making him the sub?
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Fly has the line-ups all over the place, very unusual.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

Clifton Hill-Billy wrote:Midfield stacked with midgets, might need Noble and Schultz to go Voltron style and form into a big bodied midfielder to fight Cripps and Walsh
Nothing could be clearer: we aren't focussing on winning clearance!! We are basing ourselves on the assumption that we will lose clearances, but will use speed - ball movement speed, and leg speed - to win.
We must have drawn the conclusion that playing both Fin and Sullivan was trying to make a contest out of an area that we would have no chance to win anyway. So better to concede this, and develop an alternative plan based on circumventing our certain clearance inferiority. If this is the plan, then Fin does not fit the requirements and hence Oleg gets his chance. He and Noble in the one team add plenty of capacity for ultra fast ball movement.
We will also be trying to exploit Carlton's vulnerable defence, which has ceded virtually more than any other team in the league, by eusing rebound energy.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Gerry Cooper wrote:If Sidebottom gets a game after his mediocre ANZAC Day performance, I will spew up!
Somebody give Gerry a bottle of Mylanta.
Pete 70

Post by Pete 70 »

Pretty pumped about this one. I think it will be an arm wrestle, and we will get up.

Come on the Crows - I’m so interested in other games this year (excluding north v Weat coats type games).
Dispatches from a foreign land
swoop42
Been liked: 3 times

Post by swoop42 »

While they might still edge us for overall numbers suddenly we look more vulnerable with injury than they do.
With the return of Cerra I'd argue Carlton now have their best 6 players available.

De Goey is the most talented player missing for either side and inside our best 3 players I would have thought.

McGovern is yet to return but McStay is more important structurally to us IMO.
No Saad and Mitchell, they cancel each other out.
Murphy is gone for good. Docherty and Silvagni for the season. If players aren't a possibility to return and improve a side before the season is out I don't see much point arguing they'd make side A or B better. It's 2025 for the Carlton duo.

Martin is their most talented medium forward IMO but is injury prone. Motlop is a young goal a game small. Both are probably in their best 23 but how much more output they could produce over those filling their place this week is open to debate.
He's mad. He's bad. He's MaynHARD!
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

I have this picture of John Noble at CHF ready on his step ladder, which the umpires have allowed. However, they would not allow his plastic wings as the flapping noise is confusing to the other players. I would suggest his step ladder should have had wheels for quicker deployment.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

If Macrae can’t get a game with JDG and Mitchell out, I’d say his papers are probably stamped.

I think we know they will beat us at clearances so we have added leggy for speed to try beat them with raids off have back similar to Rnd 23, 2022 when they absolutely pants us in the midfield and something like 55 more contested possessions and 20 more inside 50s.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Magpietothemax wrote:^
I think you're spot on. Even with JDG and Mitchell in the side, I think we would have been struggling in the clearance battle.

As you've said, Carlton's weakness is stopping fast transition sides. Last week against Geelong was a case in point. Their defence is vulnerable and I think our turnover game and transition could trouble them. Our pressure rating needs to be averaging 190+ for us to be in the game.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Magpietothemax wrote:^
It's a great theory mttm. I hope it turns out that way.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Just watching the heartfelt send off into retirement, by the Crows for their champ Rory Sloan, very emotional, after a great win too. It be great if we could scrounge a victory over the Blue vermin tomorrow night, and do it for our now sadly retired Nathan Murphy. Have Murph at the game, in the rooms, involve him, and get a hard won victory for him, to send him off with, embrace him by all the players, and involve him in the team in the rooms, post game, belting out the Club song, as the Crows did. Just saying.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Penguin Pie

Post by Penguin Pie »

Qldmagpie67 wrote: Personally with missing Mitchell and JDG this week we should have bitten the bullet and said right any veteran who’s sore is out this week.

Our enemy is our % right now and if we get pumped this week we are basically another win out just based on % so that 14 wins will become 15 wins needed
Given that we drew with Essendon last week, getting 2 premiership points instead of 0 or 4, then % as a tie-breaker becomes irrelevant for both us and Essendon, except in relation to ourselves.
Collingwood and cricket umpiring - my life is black and white.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I hope Sullivan starts instead of being the sub. We will desperately need his grunt around the packs. Of those listed on the bench, I'd probably have Lipinski as the sub.