#22 Steele Sidebottom

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

qldmagpie67 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Come on QM67.....please post a comment congratulating Sidey. You know you can brother. :wink:
Ok just for you Rude
I was stunned when he made that kick for goal I honestly didn’t think he was a chance
What amazing effort superb fabulous glorious
Happy now mate ??
Very happy mate. 8)

Fwiw, I was stunned when he kicked that goal too. However, I've always rated him as one of our best players. Class will out!
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

In case you missed it...

A 300 game player with two premiership medals in the AFL and still as humble as they come for a top level athlete. Steele Sidebottom joins the show this week to break down the Grand Final that was and talk more broadly about his journey into the Pies and why Steele will never take any minute for granted playing the game he loves. I love everything about Rusty, such a good bloke that is honest about his craft as we go through all of his epic journey at the Collingwood Football Club. This was an episode I have been wanting for a long time and I think it really delivered as Rusty and I laugh, smile and re-live one of the most admirable careers in the game. Hope you enjoy the episode :)

The Unlaced Podcast: Steele Sidebottom
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7qggzzUesE&t=368s
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Is Sidebottom on the way back?
He had 15 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles...still very unlike the Sidey we've come to know.
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Is Sidebottom on the way back?
He had 15 disposals, 2 marks, 2 tackles...still very unlike the Sidey we've come to know.
Father time has set in. Good article on ESPN website and credit to the author and Senior Writer Jake Michaels who provides some alarming stats regarding his drop off.

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... aac-heeney

Additionally, is there anything more non-influential than when Steele goes back to the full back area to supposedly play "third man up" only to not jump or get a hand near to spoil.
I don't want it to be this way but Father time gets everyone and interestingly our coach re-quoted Mick Malthouse's advice last week about "not losing them to retirement all at once".

Pendles is playing solid, impactful and justifiably selectable footy as is Howe. Steele may succumb due to the comparative efforts of these other two.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Steele clip from YouTube honest fun and refreshing. Bit of perspective. Guess we’ll see if he improves with match fitness from here or not

https://youtu.be/WF5OLW-F_-c?si=WJ3njFlDbBF5oPMo
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

I hope he finds a bit more form and fitness too, as he has been one of our greats, and was instrumental in us winning both the 2010 and 2023 Flags. Having said that, father time catches up with everyone, and it's fair to say that he is close to the end of his illustrious career. Ideally, he holds his spot and contributes to another Flag this year, at which time he could retire on top.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

He was also instrumental in us beating Carlton - but, hey, you know, dump him: he hasn't won a Grand Final off his own boot for literally months.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’ve said for the past couple years the signs where there
It’s the little things at first
Few more fumbles, sticking a few less tackles, that little slower to react
I said last year after his knee injury he looked to be favouring a leg when he come back.
He’s obviously working on tiring legs. And in fairness there wouldn’t be many if any player who has covered more miles up and down the ground for the past 15 seasons.
I’ll need to check but I can’t think of another player from that draft still playing now Sloane retired recently.
We all get he brings intangible strengths to the side and his and Pendles influence on the team during the game and the culture of the entire club is invaluable. I get that and I’ve never ever questioned his commitment to the team.
I thought a couple years ago moving him into a small forward role would have been smart snd giving him every chance to prolong his career (wouldn’t have to do all the hard running yards)
He was drafted firstly as a small forward who could pinch hit on a wing or in the middle but for team needs he has never really played that role.
I wonder how many goals he could have kicked with his smarts around goal had he played there
Right now given our current injury list isn’t the time to take more experience from the team. We still need leaders and he is that.
He and Pendles both act as pseudo on field coaches and that a main reason we are able to turn things around in quarter when things go awry.
Maybe he spends a little more time forward and save his legs where we can and see how the remainder of the year pans out
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Been a wonderful Magpie , all these yrs, and definitely won us the flag with his last amazing long, long goal. But, retirement beckons, as with Hawkins at the Cats, you cannot halt father time.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

I’ve been yelling for Sidey to play more forward for a while now. But we don’t have anyone yet who can step up and play the role he plays running both ways and covering ground. I was hoping we could have identified a young buck and prodded them to work in that direction. Maybe this week he’ll “rest” forward?
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

qldmagpie67 wrote:...
He and Pendles both act as pseudo on field coaches and that a main reason we are able to turn things around in quarter when things go awry.
Made me :lol: when he shoved Frampton. Silent message: "Stop whingeing at the ump and get back in defence where the ball's about to go."
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

K wrote:^
Exactly K these are the type of things veterans bring to the table
We are very lucky to have a few like this but Sidey and Pendles are standouts in this field
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

I apologise for saying you were past your best and should retire after passing Tony Shaw in games played.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

Take a bow Sidey.

Class will out.