Pre-Match. Pies v. Dockers. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

warburton lad wrote: Under no circumstance should Mitchell, Mihocek or any others be rushed back in to the 23- it is a bloody long season and we can't have players getting reinsured again.

Bloody cost of insurance keeps going up eh WL?
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

warburton lad wrote:
Under no circumstance should Mitchell, Mihocek or any others be rushed back in to the 23- it is a bloody long season and we can't have players getting reinsured again.
I seriously doubt that JDG will play either Laddy. A team possibly missing JDG, Checkers, Mitchell, WHE, McInnes and Elliott will be extremely undermanned. Nevertheless, I reckon we'll find a way to win. For that to happen, however, we will need a big performance from Cox. So far this season he has been rather underwhelming, but we all know on his day he can be virtually unstoppable.

Pies by 7 pts.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Based on tonight's club injury report, the only possible returning injured players are McCreery and Mihocek, and both sound 50/50 at best. Otherwise, McInnes and Hoskin-Elliott will miss and De Goey is also a possible out depending on how he pulls up.

So I think it's fair to say nobody's getting dropped this week, and in a worst-case scenario we will be needing three ins for this match. The players we have available, per the injury report, are Ed Allan, Charlie Dean, Harry Demattia, Tew Jiath, Ash Johnson, Nathan Kreuger, Wil Parker and Jakob Ryan. If I haven't missed anyone there, that's just eight players, three of whom (or four, if you include Ryan) are probably too green to even be considered.

You'd think Allan and Dean would be at the front of the queue having been emergencies last week and also our two best in the VFL, but otherwise the cupboard is getting pretty bare. While the club seems to be making a point of leaving him out (not even including him as an emergency in recent weeks), we might not have an option but to play Johnson if De Goey, Mihocek and McCreery all miss. I'm already thinking Frampton is going to have to go forward as well, which should give Dean an opportunity down back.

However things shake out, if none of the players under an injury cloud are available, the ins are presumably going to be Allan, Dean and then either Johnson or Kreuger. I doubt the club even wants to play either of the latter at senior level at the moment, but there's just no other realistic option.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

^If Beau is unavailable, then I am afraid that our injury status has reached climate change tipping point, and we are just going to bring in another player to make up the numbers.
Probably AJ, since he has AFL experience.
But honestly, this injury crisis surpasses anything we had last year.
Yet, this team has just so much courage and mental toughness, that anything is possible.
It is a team of absolute heros, down to a man.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Dean is clearly our best performed VFL player left from the list further above. I would have Dean leading Jiath, Parker, Allan, Johnson, Demattia and Kreuger.

Dont be surpised if Wil Parker gets an emergency spot soon. I'm sure his fitness etc is far off AFL level but he's shown some good signs to me in his VFL games.

I did have a thought about AJ. He's probably our most maligned player on the list, clubhouse leader over Kreuger I think. But think about it. Despite AJ's form in the first 2 AFL games and his participation in the VFL matches since. Well I haven't heard any stories that he's misbehaving and he hasn't left town. He hasn't got into trouble outside the club as far as I know. He's not headlines in the news. He seems to be there having a go and not running away. We've seen his talents. AJ's issues are between the ears IMO and if can get into a better space, well maybe he can turn things around. I'm not giving up on him just yet despite the year to date.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

SEN radio said that there was a big doubt on JDG playing.
With Hoskin Elliot and Reef out you would think that Johnson would come in.
Our VFL side has been getting beat every week.
Not much in the bottom of the cupboard i think.
Kruegar has hardly played so I cant see that happening.
It is going to be very difficult to win this week.
Given also three 6 day breaks.
David

Post by David »

If De Goey is out, then I think the Johnson question hinges on how Mihocek pulls up. We need someone to kick to, and in recent weeks even our break-glass-in-case-of-emergency, spare-parts forwards (Howe, Hoskin-Elliott, De Goey, McInnes) have been falling over. I really don’t see how he can’t be picked if Mihocek isn’t playing.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

David wrote:If De Goey is out, then I think the Johnson question hinges on how Mihocek pulls up. We need someone to kick to, and in recent weeks even our break-glass-in-case-of-emergency, spare-parts forwards (Howe, Hoskin-Elliott, De Goey, McInnes) have been falling over. I really don’t see how he can’t be picked if Mihocek isn’t playing.
It is almost as if the replacement for Checkers role is like a supernatural vortex that sucks any player selected for it into injury
1) Howe
2)McInnes
3) WHE
4) JDG

It is almost like playing in our forward line to compenste for Checkers'absence is a certain injury sentence.

That is why I think Kreuger needs to be selected. He is so likely to get injured under normal circumstances, that under clearly abnormal circumstances such as these, he might well be the man to withstand the injury vortex.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

I think injuries are going to mess with our player management plan. I suspect we would have planned to rest Sidey and/or Pendles this week.

Pressure is on Schultz and Cox to hit the scoreboard more. So far this season these two have 12 goals / 5 goal assists between them.

We probably need them to give us that in one game.
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

We have a tough run ahead:

* Freo: over there
* Bulldogs: renewed vigour and at Marvel
* Dees: Their supporter woodwork GF in June

I'd take the Meatloaf song title for this run of games, followed by our Round 14 matchup against the Roos and welcome being: 9 wins, 1 draw and 4 losses as of our Round 15 bye. You sense that we have many players due back for Round 13 Queens Birthday game: Jamie, Mitchell, Howe, WHE etc.. so until then, it's a patchwork quilt. I'd rather rest DeGoey this week and have him primed for the next two matches.

This week:

B: Maynard Frampton Dean
HB: Steele Moore Quaynor
C: Jaicos Crisp Lipinski
HF: McCreery Mihocek Schultz
F: Hill Cox Richards
F: Cameron Pendles Naicos
ICH: Noble, Allan, Sullivan, Harrison
SUB: Markov
EMERG: Take W Parker for the trip

Ins:

* Dean
* Mihocek
* McCreery
* Allan: hometown and deserved debut

Outs:

* McInnes: injured
* DeGoey: managed
* WHE: injured
* Macrae: omit
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

JDG ruled out of Fridays clash
David

Post by David »

Yep. Otherwise, apparently McCreery and Mihocek are both likely to play and to replace Hoskin-Elliott and McInnes respectively. But there may be more than the one necessary additional change (which would be Allan for De Goey, I assume), as McRae is suggesting that more players could be rested:

https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/ ... antle-game

Haven't had a chance to watch yet, but here's a link to the full press conference: https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/ ... 6257149001
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Probably doesn't hurt to rest Steele and ask Markov to actually find the pill for a change!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
Piethagoras' Theorem
Been liked: 2 times

Post by Piethagoras' Theorem »

I have a bad feeling about this game, everything just seems to be conspiring against us. We're going very well, all things considered, and our 'system' is about to be severely tested, as much as at any point this year. Would be a great win imo
Formally frankiboy and FrankieGoesToCollingwood.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Can Allan play as a leading tall forward to take Reef's spot? With JDG out and checkers on the border, we could have no one over 6 foot up forward except a resting ruck.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.