Pre-Match. Pies v. Bulldogs. All comments

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Pendles ruled out for this match. Failed to complete today's training session.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

We played these guys once there recently (maybe 2022?) and Pendles was a late out and I reckon they kicked the first 8 goals and it was lights out. We were headless and they jumped us.
My expectations are dramatically falling. I hope Howe got through as we will desperately need some more leadserhip out there.
Anything less than a 3 goal loss will be a miracle IMO.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

Got the dogs at $2.04..
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:Sack the football department I knew we would be shit ever since wright went on his holiday stuff these players as well just play them injured terrible attitude they have
For the sake of this forum, can you please ban yourself from posting.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Dark Beanie
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Dark Beanie »

Left training about 5 minutes into match sim.
Didn't see Pendles leave the ground but I was on the AAMI Park side.

Frampton was playing forward along with Leggie.

Both Eyre and McStay particpated in match sim, Eyre playing as a forward for the white team. Both looked OK.

Anyone with footy boots bring them along on Friday......you may get a game the rate players are dropping like flies :lol:
If you are foolish enough to be contented, don't show it, but just grumble with the rest. - Jerome K Jerome
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Pendles out really tests our leadership out. Crisp and Sidebottom will have to step up their leadership in the midfield, as will Maynard. Darcy will need to be showing more active onfield leadership than he sometimes does too. This is a great chance to see who else in our team can show some leadership skills too.

Overall though the Dogs will be licking their drooling lips as they have no better chance to beat us in this modern era than now. That said, I'm picking us for a narrow backs to the wall victory against the odds.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Pep

Post by Pep »

I fear the injury carnage will catch up to us this game.

It may come down to the last qtr and how many tickets we have left to use.

I assume that, Macrae, Howe, McInnes and and Markov/Bytel come in. Although we may need Kreuger may get a gig due to his height, although his track record fro finishing games is a worry.

Dogs won't have Naughton, big loss for them and makes the job for our defence easier as JUH will be the focal point.

But the Bont... who can match up on the Bont?
Need to combat their mids.

It may just come to who's bottom six list players play better.

Edit*: Ed Richards unavailable for the Dogs, he was in good form for them.

If McInnes unavailable still, then Johnson is last chance saloon, talented and had some big moments, but you need to bring the intensity and pressure.
Last edited by Pep on Wed May 29, 2024 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KenH

Post by KenH »

McInnes isn't available as yet I believe.
Cheers big ears
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Talk on mid week tackle last night that Dan McStay is on track to be playing VFL at about rd 15 (AFL rd 15) and could be available for (subject to him completing match time) be available around rd19 to play AFL level in the lead into finals (if we are still in finals contention or have 22 other players able to be on the field)
They quoted Goldie had spoken to him about how he come back in 2018 from ACL in time for the GF
Woods

Post by Woods »

Expect the AFL’s changed interpretation of the holding the ball rule to have an impact. Tackled players now have less time to dispose of the ball.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1140581/afl ... b-feedback

Speedsters like McCreery (who are quick to catch and tackle opposition players) are going to win a bag of frees.
MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

Woods wrote:Expect the AFL’s changed interpretation of the holding the ball rule to have an impact. Tackled players now have less time to dispose of the ball.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1140581/afl ... b-feedback

Speedsters like McCreery (who are quick to catch and tackle opposition players) are going to win a bag of frees.
If we get too many free kicks on Friday night the AFL will change the rules back.
Ronnie McKeowns boots

Post by Ronnie McKeowns boots »

I for one welcome the new interpretation.
Watching old games from the 80's and early 90's, you really notice how quickly they rewarded the tackle, if you got caught that was it, free kick.

Moves the ball on a lot quicker and will hopefully avoid multiple ball ups
"You hate a mean man, a grasping man, a man who wants everything and gives nothing. That’s Collingwood. They are a law unto themselves"

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Pendles out is a massive blow. The maestro has conducted so many of our symphonies this year at crucial moments. I had a genuinely good feeling last week that we could defeat Freo, and we virtually did.
But this time, I have just got the feeling that with Pendles out it just became too hard.
Watched Fly's presser from today, and I am just astonished at his optimism and his open embrace of every challenge. I can see why our players are as they are: their coach lives and breathes self belief, confidence, and will to find a way.
That is why I write nothing off with this team, but find myself doubting our chances for this Friday.
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Ins and Outs seem to change by the hour!!

Outs: Mihocek, Cox, Richards, Pendlebury (all injured)

In: Krueger (for Cox), Johnson (for Mihocek) Markov (for Richards) Macrae (for Pendlebury)

I have worn out a pair of Rosary beads over this game but am sustained by the hope that for the King's Birthday game that all of Pendlebury, Hoskin-Elliott, McInnes and Mitchell are back...

Friday night will be an absolutely tough slog for both teams- both down on key personnel. If the Pies win, we will face Melbourne at the equivalent of 8 wins and 4 losses- a remarkable feat if achieved given all that has happened.

I imagine that if we hit our Bye at 10 and 4 that no team in the competition would relish meeting us as the troops begin to file back in...

Floreat Pica.
Last edited by warburton lad on Wed May 29, 2024 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...