Pre-Match. Magpies v. Demons. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

Kingston Lucas Tuck wrote: My say is …let’s all give this wholehearted young bloke a decent chance to show us what he might offer . Remember our club has been open to many and varied types ( from unknowns to has beens) and Fred is just another prospect. Give the kid your support .
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

What'sinaname wrote:Crisp moves to 2nd outright in the list of most consecutive games with 227.
I find this almost inconceivable to believe this record is achievable in the modern game. We’re talking close to ten consecutive seasons and finals without missing a game. Ridiculous and the effort shouldn’t be understated amongst any followers of the game.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

I think the Frampton to full forward conversation hasn’t been analysed as in depth as it probably deserves. Frampton move to the forward line was more likely about him offering coverage as a second ruck than it was him ever being a match winner up forward. With so many out, we were always going to be shifting the magnets around and with only one ruckman left available on the entire list, something was always going to give. Frampton had beaten Draper in the ruck last year, so there was a body of work to at least suggest he could be competitive. Even if Howe went forward ( and not Frampton ) that move still wouldn’t solve the second ruck problem. It would also deprive us of our best intercept defender in the backline. They probably also had one eye on the future and want to keep getting games into an improving Dean.
As an aside, Markov going forward was the big surprise but the coaches would have their reasons and again, those reasons can appear bemusing when a match committee only has around 27 players to pick from and is robbing Peter to pay Paul all over the ground.
Framptons role this week becomes a must watch. We have some forward options to choose from this week but we still only have one ruckman to pick from. How Frampton will be used becomes the game within the game against the Dees.
Kingston Lucas Tuck

Post by Kingston Lucas Tuck »

The Good , The Bad and the Ultra Ugly ….as long as they hold their marks, kick straight and never stop trying-the Magpie Selectors need to give them consideration .
Kingston Lucas Tuck

Post by Kingston Lucas Tuck »

Pies 2016
“.. Framptons role this week becomes a must watch. ”

I agree but for different reasons .
Looking at him singularly - for a player that size and build he is remarkably athletic, in that he is quick moving ( definitely not a lumbering type) he has good spring and he did fabulously well last season when both Cameron and Cox were missing . Doubtless Pie watchers will recall that he played the role of competing all over the ground well and at times took telling marks in defence. For me his three stand out abilities were mobility for size compared to the average ruckman, his capacity to give consistent contests at ball ups and marking duels and his wonderful long kicking …when he used that weapon.

Downsides were man on man match ups when required ( he seemed to just “lose” his direct opponent in defence) and at times , his decision making . I had hoped he might be more confident in marking .

So yes , Frammers has abilities that are under utilised possibly because not even he understands his capacity yet .
The Good , The Bad and the Ultra Ugly ….as long as they hold their marks, kick straight and never stop trying-the Magpie Selectors need to give them consideration .
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Remember “all duck, no dinner”, “we should have smoked them” ?

Moore reflects on May’s jibe ahead of mouth-watering King’s Birthday clash
https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/we- ... 5jjgb.html
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Pies2016 wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:Crisp moves to 2nd outright in the list of most consecutive games with 227.
I find this almost inconceivable to believe this record is achievable.

You can have the flu and miss your chess tournament, lol..

We have all been young, who hasnt hurt an ankle, hand, wrist.. etc.

This record needs an entry in the Ripley's Believe it or not magazine.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

When does the team come out? Don't they normally publish a squad Thurday night?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Pies4shaw »

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
I find this almost inconceivable to believe this record is achievable.

You can have the flu and miss your chess tournament, lol..

We have all been young, who hasnt hurt an ankle, hand, wrist.. etc.

This record needs an entry in the Ripley's Believe it or not magazine.
^ He's got a bit of a way to catch the phenomenal Brett Favre. The Man Who Wore Aland Didak's Number played 297 consecutive regular season games (for Green Bay, the Jets and the Vikings) in a row at QB in the NFL from 1992 to 2010 and, with his 24 consecutive playoff games, he actually played 321 in a row.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

stui magpie wrote:When does the team come out? Don't they normally publish a squad Thurday night?
Sunday at 6:20pm apparently. In the past they would have published the team + extended bench on Thursday, but there seems to be a bit more flexibility these days for games scheduled after the weekend.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

Think they come out Saturday, 48 hours prior.
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 1eyedpie »

^

David’s right 6:20 pm Sunday
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times

Post by stui magpie »

OK, cheers all. Seems strange, I'm used to seeing at least a squad on Thursday night.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
RudeBoy

Post by RudeBoy »

lazzadesilva wrote:
Kingston Lucas Tuck wrote: My say is …let’s all give this wholehearted young bloke a decent chance to show us what he might offer . Remember our club has been open to many and varied types ( from unknowns to has beens) and Fred is just another prospect. Give the kid your support .
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

ah, bit confused. Kreuger was at least named an emergency a few weeks back. I'm not saying that he was match fit or deserving of a spot given competition but he was listed an emergency the week after he returned from injury against the bullants. no idea what the coaches are thinking
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark