Football media (press / radio / commentators et al)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Alright I’ve cut BT a lot of slack up til now but enough is enough. He is atrocious as a commentator. How many times can you incorrectly call Frampton Krueger in one game? Not to mention numerous other howlers in yesterday’s game. And his anti Collingwood sentiment continues unabated. He is not worthy of calling the big games and needs to be relegated to the VFL.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
Culprit
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Culprit »

Damien wrote:Alright I’ve cut BT a lot of slack up til now but enough is enough. He is atrocious as a commentator. How many times can you incorrectly call Frampton Krueger in one game? Not to mention numerous other howlers in yesterday’s game. And his anti-Collingwood sentiment continues unabated. He is not worthy of calling the big games and needs to be relegated to the VFL.
One would think that with the current digital technology, you should be able to add/remove commentators. BT is just doing a job, I get it but the mute button shouldn't be my friend.
Mr Miyagi
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Mr Miyagi »

It was atrocious yesterday but got better in the last quarter when it was clear Melbourne had no chance. BT was intolerable, should have been a free to Melbourne, that wasn’t a free kick to us, oooh Darcy Moore should be looked at by the MRP, etc.
Damien
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Damien »

Culprit wrote:
Damien wrote:Alright I’ve cut BT a lot of slack up til now but enough is enough. He is atrocious as a commentator. How many times can you incorrectly call Frampton Krueger in one game? Not to mention numerous other howlers in yesterday’s game. And his anti-Collingwood sentiment continues unabated. He is not worthy of calling the big games and needs to be relegated to the VFL.
One would think that with the current digital technology, you should be able to add/remove commentators. BT is just doing a job, I get it but the mute button shouldn't be my friend.
I’m a FOX Footy man. I don’t get that if they can broadcast every game live, why they can’t use their own commentary team. Unless it’s for purely economic reasons. I hope that changes in the next broadcast deal.
'Collingwood are the Bradmans of Football'
The Herald - 1930
1eyedpie
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 1eyedpie »

^
I’m pretty sure it comes in next year.

You will be able to select fox commentary on free to air games!
Never disperse your focus unless absolutely necessary. Face one adversary at a time!

BARRACK HARD!
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Damien wrote:
Culprit wrote:
I’m a FOX Footy man. I don’t get that if they can broadcast every game live, why they can’t use their own commentary team. Unless it’s for purely economic reasons. I hope that changes in the next broadcast deal.
Pretty sure it would be stipulated in the current agreement it has to be ch 7 personalities which adds to the Ch 7 recognition etc.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

For non Fox footy games I have moved to using the SEN app and live streaming either to headphones or a speaker.

How about BT yesterday crapping on and repeating 4 or 5 times that Kreuger was kicking for his first goal only to be reminded he’d already kicked 4 way back in 2022. Seriously do these guys do any pre-work? I assume they just rock up on game day with their yobbo, matey approach and all the cliches and tropes they’ve run out at a million sportsman’s nights and whatever the zeitgeist was in the mid 90’s and it shows in the broadcast. Utter rubbish.

And don’t get me started on the CG 7 broadcast angles. The games produced by Fox are head and shoulders better.
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Post by LaurieHolden »

^BT was unsure, he asked the Q. He was partly right, he hadn't many for us. Put on the spot, I don't think many of our supporters could have answered it. I had to check the stat's and go back to 2022 where he kicked 4 from a total of 4 games.
Commentators rely on their stat's men in the box to stick those in front of them.
We have been spoiled by Bruce McAvaney. Ranking commentators is like ranking PM's, the list ain't deep.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
aus50ford
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by aus50ford »

sounded like there was only one team in the 1st qu with the amount of praise Melb got but the scoreboard smothered that,
But I will say one of the commentary team was amazed that weren't targeting Petracca
I don't have a snappy catch phrase
piffdog

Post by piffdog »

LaurieHolden wrote:^BT was unsure, he asked the Q. He was partly right, he hadn't many for us. Put on the spot, I don't think many of our supporters could have answered it. I had to check the stat's and go back to 2022 where he kicked 4 from a total of 4 games.
Commentators rely on their stat's men in the box to stick those in front of them.
We have been spoiled by Bruce McAvaney. Ranking commentators is like ranking PM's, the list ain't deep.
I think you’re too generous. Half an hour of research including a quick check of the “ins” for an injury riddled team would have told the tale. I also thought that he started out pretty definitive and then back pedalled - probably at the behest of the stats guy in the background. The point is he didn’t know, so don’t run with that as your commentary. I honestly don’t know what skill this guy has in calling that justifies the privilege of the position.
Skids
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 30 times

Post by Skids »

I don't mind BT at all, think he's quite funny. Commentators have little impact on the scoreboard. One bloke I couldn't stand, one that plenty of people love, was Bruce.

Bring back Red for Ed and we could have special comments from Daics in the box.
Don't count the days, make the days count.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

1eyedpie wrote:^
I’m pretty sure it comes in next year.

You will be able to select fox commentary on free to air games!
Correct. The new deal starts from next year and runs through to 2031.
The same amount of games will be broadcast on free-to-air TV each season as is currently, but Fox Footy has won rights to have their own commentary teams for each game.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/837244/afl- ... -from-2025
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Woods Of Ypres
Been liked: 4 times

Post by Woods Of Ypres »

would love an option to turn commentary off, but still have the crowd and game noise. I remember this happened by accident once due to a technical problem. for a couple of minutes it was pure heaven.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Woods Of Ypres wrote:would love an option to turn commentary off, but still have the crowd and game noise. I remember this happened by accident once due to a technical problem. for a couple of minutes it was pure heaven.
The original Fox Footy (2002-2006) used to have this feature back in the day.

It's disappointing we don't get the option nowadays.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I dislike all TV footy commentators, because they are more concerned with their own egos and self promotion, rather than actually calling the games. Australian callers should take a leaf out of the way the Brits commentate soccer games. To my mind, the immature and distracting manner of most Australian footy commentating, actually disrespects the game itself.