Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

^

Doug didn't play 100 games for us, so any kids he had were up for grabs to anyone if good enough.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Tom McGuane made his senior debut for Keilor on the weekend. Keep in mind he's still 16, doesn't turn 17 until August.

Playing against men for the first time, lazy 33 possessions, 10 clearances and 3 goals.

courtesy Herald Sun.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

stui magpie wrote:Tom McGuane made his senior debut for Keilor on the weekend. Keep in mind he's still 16, doesn't turn 17 until August.

Playing against men for the first time, lazy 33 possessions, 10 clearances and 3 goals.

courtesy Herald Sun.
Great numbers but you’d hardly deserve the title “man” if as an oppo player you really put in against a 16 year old.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

I remember watching John Longmire as a 15-16 year old playing for Corowa Rutherglen towelling up the oppo in the Ovens and Murray. Man child who went on to be but he had the physical attributes.

McGuane described as small so I’m guessing he’s agile / nimble to escape the hard tackles and runs like the wind.

Protect the draft points now and get him in
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Pebbles Rocks

Post by Pebbles Rocks »

stui magpie wrote:Tom McGuane made his senior debut for Keilor on the weekend. Keep in mind he's still 16, doesn't turn 17 until August.

courtesy Herald Sun.
Keilor won by 147 Points so he had a little momentum on his side....
"You must be a parking ticket, cuz you got fine written all over you" Glen Quagmire
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

“Collingwood don’t get an unfair advantage”: Peter Daicos hopes AFL keeps father-son rule as is!...he said he’d love the AFL to keep the status quo when it comes to father-son recruitment.

It comes with the league in the midst of a competitive balance review that is expected to force clubs to stump up (i.e. pay) more for father-son and academy selections.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/06/20/ ... ps-father/
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

How many father sons have we selected who amounted to nothing?

I can think of a few, The Brown Brothers, Obourne, Tony Shaw's son Brayden, then there's the ones we didn't pick up like Stewart and the Pickens.

Darcy Moore took a few years to come good, as did Josh Daicos. Making it harder to draft the child of a past player should not happen.

This whole review is a knee jerk reaction to Nick Daicos (and to a degree Ashcroft for the Brions) being an instant prodigy and Gold Coast getting 4 top 10 draftees from their academy last year.

Players like Nick don't come around very often, normally clubs find themselves under pressure to pick a father son in the draft to placate fan romanticism when the kid might not be in their top choices. Don't make it harder.
SwansWay

Post by SwansWay »

Roughly 17 father sons have come to Collingwood. If you leave out Nick Davis who left after only a couple of seasons, then it's only Travis Cloke, Rhys + Heath, Moore and The Daicos Bros. So 6 / 17 worked out. So 35% success rate. Oh but they only want to focus on Josh (who was almost delisted) Darcy and Nick.

I'm not sure what St. Kilda expect here. If their stars aren't having as many boys then I dunno...how's that a problem anybody can legislate for??
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

The problem is that with St Kilda, you can’t legislate for their fans to be intelligent so it’s been a long term trend
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

stui magpie wrote:^

It's not just you, I've only been to 1 game post Covid. I just cbf. The game day experience for me just doesn't justify the travel time and expense when I can stay home with the heater on, drink and eat what I want, yell at the TV with no one around to be offended and don't have to get a train home after.

The game day experience IMO is designed for theatre goers, not fans. I don't enjoy it, so I stay home.
Just like my father. He will not go to games.

I must admit, as the years have gone by, I've enjoyed it less and less. I would go to every game in Melbourne. Then it became just MCG games. Then certain teams and timeslots were cut out. Then the club contacted me about the amount of games I've missed. I still go. But sometimes you feel like its not an enjoyable day.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
The General
Has liked: 3 times

Post by The General »

SwansWay wrote:Roughly 17 father sons have come to Collingwood. If you leave out Nick Davis who left after only a couple of seasons, then it's only Travis Cloke, Rhys + Heath, Moore and The Daicos Bros. So 6 / 17 worked out. So 35% success rate. Oh but they only want to focus on Josh (who was almost delisted) Darcy and Nick.

I'm not sure what St. Kilda expect here. If their stars aren't having as many boys then I dunno...how's that a problem anybody can legislate for??

I think the club looking after the welfare of former players plays a part in the children then taking an interest in football. Then together with the club being involved with their development (The Peter Daicos academy) results in there being a higher number kids making it to draft eligibility.

If St Kilda choose to be a piss poor club and don't retain contact with former players thus not helping to develop the next generation, then I am afraid that that is on them.

We are simply benefiting from long term investing.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Both The Daicos brothers story at the draft is an interesting one and shouldn’t be lost when talking about the “ advantages “ we received with both.
Josh was selected in the 50s, so clearly no clubs thought he was ever going to equate to anything special. If the Saints ( who are whinging the loudest ) had rated him better and selected him a bit earlier, then who knows if Collingwood would have matched that draft pick position.
In Nicks year, when Kangas had pick 1, they chose to pick J H F when everyone knew Nick was the best junior in the country. Norths ego and need to peddle the positives to their supporter base, demanded that J H F be marketed as the best kid in the country, not a promising junior who would play second fiddle to Nick. If North had picked Daicos where he rightly belonged, then Collingwood would have been forced to give up higher draft picks in order to secure Nick. Sam Darcy went next because the Giants prioritised the best tall in the country but that bid was obviously matched by the Bulldogs at # 2. The rest is history.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

My god, a balanced article about Collingwood. :shock:
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

stui magpie wrote:My god, a balanced article about Collingwood. :shock:
I'm shocked.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!