Post Match. Pies Sunburnt . All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:
ANNODAM wrote:We’ll drop even lower if GWS beats ADL.

Tough row to hoe from here, ESS (currently) looking the goods.
Have faith.
They are playing an out of form Geelong team who have lost Hawkins.
We are rebounding from a defeat, at some remote football ground in Northern Australia that only the GC Suns know how to navigate.
The anger in our guys at this loss will be welling out of the veins.
JDG, Pendles, Checkers...great warm up for next week.
Midfield: disappointing overall this game, but with Pendles and JDG fired up for next week, things will be different.
Schulz back adds pressure into F50, and JoeR stays in as a Jamie Elliott look alike for now.
Need to review the defence structures as well: does Dean come in as an extra tall?
Plenty of options to calibrate the team selection for next week.

100% and, AND, McStay back real soon, will add a whole new dimension to our forward set up, onwards an upwards, my ol High school motto. :D
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

stoliboy wrote:Gold Coast deserved to win.

Once again we let a team get a massive head start and it takes everything going right to claw the margin back.

Also that goal Gold Coast got out of the centre to go two goals up. We had Pendlebury, De Goey and Daicos in the centre for that bounce (our Grand Final winning play makers) and they won it out of the centre.

Fair play.
Sure. Don't dispute that.
The main point though is that we could have still "undeservedly" stolen it. And that is not due to luck. It is due to the mental grit of this team.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Thinking more about this game, I think having come off the bye might have contributed to our slow start to the game. We fought valiantly to get in front in the last quarter, but with Noble, McCreery and Maynard off injured, we finally ran out of legs. This is not an excuse, as clearly we should have played much better, but it was definitely a factor imo.

I'm certainly not blaming any individuals for the loss, but without seeing any player stats, both Sullivan and Harrison seemed to be passengers for most of the game. As others have commented, I hope 'Smokin' Joe Richards starts every week. He is too good a footballer to be sitting on the bench.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

ANNODAM wrote:

And wouldn’t it just be our luck we help GEEL overcome their lack of form the following week.
Would also be their luck if we overcame the issues we experienced today. One of them by the way was playing at their god forsaken ground on the GC.
Next week at the G.
Bring it on.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

mightypies90 wrote:We are also missing Cox, as much as some say he does nothing.
Yes we missed Cox.
No second ruck for Cameron to rest.
No big guy up forward that needed to be covered.
We definitely missed Cox tonight.
But we lost around the contest all night
Their quick running handball sliced us up.
We had a number of scrubbers running around tonight.
Magpietothemax

Post by Magpietothemax »

RudeBoy wrote:Thinking more about this game, I think having come off the bye might have contributed to our slow start to the game. We fought valiantly to get in front in the last quarter, but with Noble, McCreery and Maynard off injured, we finally ran out of legs. This is not an excuse, as clearly we should have played much better, but it was definitely a factor imo.

I'm certainly not blaming any individuals for the loss, but without seeing any player stats, both Sullivan and Harrison seemed to be passengers for most of the game. As others have commented, I hope 'Smokin' Joe Richards starts every week. He is too good a footballer to be sitting on the bench.
Yep. Too many players injured to win from behind.
Not sure it was the bye itself that contributed to the loss. (Our start wasnt so slow - from memory, we were up at qur time)
I think it was more that the players who returned from injury (JDG, Pendles, Checkers) all needed a warm up game, and with three key players needing a warm up game, it was too many guns at 70% capacity. We still somehow almost stole it. This team is just incredible. Refuses to accept defeat.
I think we blew off some cobwebs tonight.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
mightypies90
Been liked: 3 times

Post by mightypies90 »

Piesnchess wrote: Ha ha, nah pissing rain here, plus fast asleep, as pups are prone to do, I did turn the radio off last few mins, my mum used to do that, hoping putting back on, would bring victory, it worked a treat mostly. :P :lol:
Good to see you got a puppy. What breed did you get.
The artist formerly known as schuey7.
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Actually, you can really enjoy the last quarter replay, just turn it off once we hit the front!
swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

RudeBoy wrote:Thinking more about this game, I think having come off the bye might have contributed to our slow start to the game. We fought valiantly to get in front in the last quarter, but with Noble, McCreery and Maynard off injured, we finally ran out of legs. This is not an excuse, as clearly we should have played much better, but it was definitely a factor imo.
From memory we always come back from a bye a bit sluggish...
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

slangman wrote:Suns ultimately too good but geez we did everything to lose the game.

Bobby Hill needs a spell in the VFL to re learn the basics and eliminate that one handed Hollywood rubbish that he’s constantly attempting all season.
Extremely frustrating to watch especially when you know how talented he is.
Ridiculous.
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
dalyc

Post by dalyc »

ANNODAM wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:Losing Maynard, Noble and McCreery made it very hard.

However, the big problem was allowing the Cold Toast to be so far in front at 3/4 time.

We will need to improve considerably if we are to challenge this year.

We won’t be challenging, don’t worry.
When we win, your shout.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Disappointing result, but it's not a catastrophe.

I was happy with the inclusions we had during the week, but I do wonder whether having five changes unsettled the team more than we anticipated. Essentially, this was the match needed for the likes of Pendles and Checkers to blow out the cobwebs. De Goey had an immediate impact which is a great sign.

The last quarter comeback was admirable, so that deserves to be acknowledged. It shows our self-belief and fight is still as strong as ever. Have to give credit to Gold Coast for regaining their composure and winning the match after we threw everything at them.

Bad news on the injury front with Noble and McCreery being ruled out for next week, and Maynard had a knee issue as well so touchwood he'll be fine.

Onto next week now.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Double.
Last edited by ANNODAM on Sat Jun 29, 2024 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
dalyc

Post by dalyc »

lihei wrote:
mightypies90 wrote:
ANNODAM wrote:We won’t be challenging, don’t worry.
You’re the worst kind of supporter.
you’re a pain in the ar*e champ. People have always expressed how they feel on Nicks, particularly after a loss. It’s not for all to conform to your expectation of how one should feel and articulate their thoughts. If you want that, go back to BigFooty.
MP90 just expressing his / her view. Just cause it doesn’t align with the glass always fuc$ing empty brigade that your a member of.
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

dalyc wrote:
lihei wrote:
mightypies90 wrote: You’re the worst kind of supporter.
you’re a pain in the ar*e champ. People have always expressed how they feel on Nicks, particularly after a loss. It’s not for all to conform to your expectation of how one should feel and articulate their thoughts. If you want that, go back to BigFooty.
MP90 just expressing his / her view. Just cause it doesn’t align with the glass always fuc$ing empty brigade that your a member of.
Nah, respectfully, there’s a difference. Positive or negative, full or empty, is not against the rules of this forum. Abusing other posters is and that has included inappropriate suggestions of suicide.

I wish everyone could just calmly discuss the game, and different opinions, post it.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.