Collingwood Father Son and NGA Radar

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

It was written by Sly from the Collingwood Rant.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
K
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Post by K »

Pies2016 wrote:...
Josh was selected in the 50s, so clearly no clubs thought he was ever going to equate to anything special. If the Saints ( who are whinging the loudest ) had rated him better and selected him a bit earlier, then who knows if Collingwood would have matched that draft pick position.
But here's the thing. On the Gettable podcast, they said clubs know F/S-eligible players are likely to be unavailable. So they put their limited scouting efforts elsewhere. So come draft time, they don't know what they're worth... So they're not able to make sensible bids on them...

Take_a_Screamer wrote:Yes, this is what is being said on this thread...

Why is everyone complaining about the father-son rule now that Collingwood are benefitting from it?

Ain't always about the Pies.

The ones who'll be screwed over by any lates changes aren't us. It's Carlton, desperate to get their grubby hands on the Camporeale twins.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

Carlton will get their way, as they and other teams based their trading draft picks last year on what was coming up this year. They planned under the rules at the time and will mutiny if the AFL changes the game.

I'd expect the changes to be announced before this years draft, to become effective for next year which gives clubs an opportunity to forward plan.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

K wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:...
Josh was selected in the 50s, so clearly no clubs thought he was ever going to equate to anything special. If the Saints ( who are whinging the loudest ) had rated him better and selected him a bit earlier, then who knows if Collingwood would have matched that draft pick position.
But here's the thing. On the Gettable podcast, they said clubs know F/S-eligible players are likely to be unavailable. So they put their limited scouting efforts elsewhere. So come draft time, they don't know what they're worth... So they're not able to make sensible bids on them..
Without wanting to labour on it, if Josh was playing as a father son prospect over in WA, I would understand why spotters wouldn’t dedicate their resources to a talent that was very likely unobtainable. ( I imagine that’s the scenario Gettable were referring to ) In Josh’s case, he played for Oakleigh Chargers, who have been long regarded as the best junior feeder club in the country. A dozen recruiters would attend a Chargers match every weekend, so he would be impossible to miss as a potential AFL player …. if any clubs had felt that way.
As an aside, I see Luke Quaynor is starting to put a very solid season together at the Chargers. He plays very similarly and has the same attributes as his older brother. He’s an NGA prospect in this years draft, so we’re currently in the hands of other clubs not selecting him before pick 40. Hard to tell so far out but my guess is he’s doing enough to at least be chosen in the ND.
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

^

Do we really need 2 IQ's though?

I'd happily take 2 of Naicos, JDG or Moore, but a clone of IQ, as good a player as he is? Surely there's just room for one of them in the team at a time?
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

^Couldn't agree more. Short back pocket players are a dime a dozen imo, especially if they aren't on the eventual path to playing mid-field minutes.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Depends on how much we pay for younger Quaynor and how good he is
If he is able to play other than BP then he is valuable
Anyone know how fast he is/good at goal kicking
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

stui magpie wrote:Do we really need 2 IQ's though?
I have an IQ of 2, does that count?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
IF the club thinks he can play, then they should bid for him ( subject to draft pick). I wouldn’t mind two Quaynors if the pick came in late enough and then you get your 20 % points discount on top of that. You can always find a spot for a good player. Failing that, if he ends up being surplus to our needs and he is similar to Issac, then he can be traded on and the club at least gets some return on their investment. Sounds a safer bet than picking a 6’5” Hail Mary in the third round and then delisting him after two years of wasting the clubs resources on him.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Bucks5 wrote:It was written by Sly from the Collingwood Rant.
Then you can disregard it all together ;-)
stui magpie

Post by stui magpie »

Pies2016 wrote:^^^^
Spoken like a recruiter.
It shouldn't be about just taking next best available if you already have a surplus of that type, but looking at needs. I've watched him play in the VFL, (on TV), the kid can play. He's very much just like his brother but with less physical development (obviously). If it came to a choice in the 3rd round between him and a hail Mary 6'5" I'd take the latter every time and see if IQ2 was available in the 4th round or come rookie time.
Short players are a dime a dozen, you can't teach height.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

I have not seen any special quality to propel IQ#2 past the hundreds of other prospects on the table.

Still young and growing and learning… but where he is now, doesn't look good.
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

stui magpie wrote:^

Do we really need 2 IQ's though?

I'd happily take 2 of Naicos, JDG or Moore, but a clone of IQ, as good a player as he is? Surely there's just room for one of them in the team at a time?
You mean the guy who was in the best 40 players in the comp last year? We don’t need a second one of them?? C’mon…
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Unless we miraculously jag a hugh end draft pick and take a young KP like one of the Whitlock twins from the Murray bushrangers, LQ is a fair pick for a late draft or rookie pick for me.

Our other leading picks need to be about leg speed and disposal
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

K wrote:

The ones who'll be screwed over by any lates changes aren't us. It's Carlton, desperate to get their grubby hands on the Camporeale twins.
I for one, sleep better at night knowing Carlscum are being screwed over

However if it was Collingwood in the same position I would be pissed
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum