Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

piedys wrote:
skaman wrote:Scratch Logan McDonald. Re-signed with Swans for 4 years.
Never thought he had any intentions to leave really; just his agent upping his market value per the usual snake-oil peddling, smoke and mirror tactics.
"No amount of money would make me leave"....... blah blah blah. Yeah right, convenient re-signing a week after a massive Pies rumour occurs. Player managers strike again using the Pies!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Means Sydney have missed out on Rohan Marshall from St Kilda
He will be the next to re-sign
Smith is a done deal at Geelong according to the media
Doesn’t leave much out there really
I was surprised we couldn’t pry McCluggage away from Brisbane
It wasn’t for lack of cash that’s for sure
I wonder whether having our list manager not able to meet in person affects our chances with free agents or possible recruits
piffdog
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Assuming money isnt the issue, do you think having just won a flag is a disincentive for players? On the basis that theyre hard to win consecutively, and so going to the premier almost makes you less likely to win again in the near term?
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Just throwing it out there. In the event we do trade out Ash Johnson this year, he's a brother of Shane McAdam at the Dees and cousin of Farrar at GC. Just wondering if Ash would be tempted by a family connection.

With today's SEN news re Melbourne wingman Ed Langdon being unsigned for 2025, just wondering if he or a Tomlinson could be wrangled in a trade for Johnson. No doubt we need a wingman with Sidey's days numbered. Langdon withering at the Dees now and needs a new challenge.

Who knows what Wright and Bolton are cooking in the background
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

Reports from Carlton are they are struggling to keep their books in balance. Owies, Martin, and Carroll could all be at new clubs next year. I'd pass on Martin and Carroll, but Owies is one to think about.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

It just feels like we're in a worrying position.

If we miss the 8, Freo will get a top 10 pick from the Schultz deal. And we could really use that in the trade period. It seems we have the cap space. But we wont have the picks to trade. We also dont have the players to trade. We may get a very late pick for Ash.

We are not linked to anyone significant, and free agency is already drying up. The vibe from everyone is that a few of the 30+ guys will retire, which also opens up cap space, but leaves us a bit high and dry when looking for a replacement.

A few months back, I was confident that we would be able to get one or two players that would really make a difference to the playing group. Now I'm wondering if we will get anyone at all.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

The Black and White Lion wrote:Just throwing it out there. ...

With today's SEN news re Melbourne wingman Ed Langdon being unsigned for 2025, just wondering if he or a Tomlinson could be wrangled in a trade for Johnson. No doubt we need a wingman with Sidey's days numbered. Langdon withering at the Dees now and needs a new challenge.
Why? So we can fix more of Hine's shit?

He had every chance to take Langdon in 2014 draft, bur elected not to, despite him having a brother at the club vouching for him:

3 48 Matthew Goodyear Collingwood Calder Cannons TAC Cup

3 50 Marc Pittonet Hawthorn Oakleigh Chargers TAC Cup

3 54 Ed Langdon Fremantle Sandringham Dragons TAC Cup

But master spud-farmer Hine picks another potato from the crop: Goodyear.

At least he got Maynard right at 30, in one of his better efforts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_AFL_draft

And STILL could have got him from Freo at end of 2019, but nooooo....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Presti35 wrote:Reports from Carlton are they are struggling to keep their books in balance. Owies, Martin, and Carroll could all be at new clubs next year. I'd pass on Martin and Carroll, but Owies is one to think about.
What, they are advertising the fact that they are over the cap? :shock:

But Owies yes; the other two are oxygen thieves
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piffdog
Been liked: 35 times

Post by piffdog »

Hard pass on Owies. We just got rid of a disruptive flog (Ginni). Midget forwards are a dime a dozen and IMO we already have about 12 of them. There are only a handful of players in the entire league I’d hate to see in our colours and he’s one of them.
It's never as good/nor bad as it seems...
dalyc
Been liked: 12 times

Post by dalyc »

piffdog wrote:Hard pass on Owies. We just got rid of a disruptive flog (Ginni). Midget forwards are a dime a dozen and IMO we already have about 12 of them. There are only a handful of players in the entire league I’d hate to see in our colours and he’s one of them.
I’d take him
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Time to raid west coast with a change of coach
Rumour has it the new coach will be given the power to cull the list right back
Is there any 28/30 aged player who could help us ??
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

qldmagpie67 wrote:Time to raid west coast with a change of coach
Rumour has it the new coach will be given the power to cull the list right back
Is there any 28/30 aged player who could help us ??
Waterman? Rumors are that he wants a new scene. Gaff, no. Darling, no. McGovern, no. Cripps, no. Liam Duggan, yes. Witherden wants to play for a third club? But does he fill a need for us?

Yeo, already signed up. Allan signed up (and is captain). Barrass no longer linked to Collingwood. And Sheed, yes, just for the lols.

But tbh, the only player we really, really, want from WCE is 187cm, 19 yo, and absolutely no chance of getting to Collingwood.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

A big question has surrounded which over 30's will be playing for Collingwood in 2025. I wouldnt be surprised if Elliott, Cox, Sidey, and Howe all call it a day, and tbh, the only over 30's I am confident will still be here are Pendles, Crisp, Checkers and WHE.

Ideas for replacing over 30s:

WHE (Turns 31 in September) : Harry Perryman free agent. High draft pick from GWS, same height, utility/swingman. It makes too much sense. Not sure he has the same leap tho. WHE has been one of my favourites since coming over from GWS.

Jack Crisp (Turns 31 in October) : He is proof alone that rookie listed players, or guys that come without much fanfare could be anything. I cant even think of a player on the list or anyone thats an available target who could do what Crisp does. Luckily he'll be here a bit longer, so we should be looking at someone in the draft that matches his attributes.

Tom Mitchell (Turned 31 in May) : Have heard he could end up with North at seasons end. Was a sensational pick up that helped us win the flag and possibly saw Adams head to the Swans. We've missed him in recent weeks. But how do you replace a Brownlow medallist hard nut like this? Does Essendon want to rid itself of Darcy Parrish? Are we going to look more to Fin Macrae? Of course, Ned Long was recruited with Tom's insight, so perhaps he is the player we'll be looking at to tough it out in the guts.

Brody Mihocek (Turns 32 in Feb) : The club was earlier linked to Harrison Jones, but sheesh I'm suspect on his goal kicking as he shanks them a lot. Would need a trade. Zurhaar is a free agent but is a tad shorter than Checkers. I feel like there arent too many KPFs that are available. Damn you Olli Henry for leaving! I feel as though Ash Johnson will leave the club, but Reef McInnes could have a future as the Checkers type forward. King Twins are unrealistic targets, but there's always talk they could leave their clubs.

Jamie Elliott (Turns 32 in August) : Another leap that will be hard to find. And his clutch goals will go down in folklore. We do have a lot of small forwards on the list, Hill, Schultz, Richards, Harrison... So it's possible that we wont be looking too hard here. Owies has been mentioned as someone the Blues will struggle to hold onto and altho has had some off-field issues, he is a goal kicker. Ben Ainsworth is a free agent that could help cover Elliotts retirement if that comes this year.

Mason Cox (Turned 33 in March) : Elliott Himmelberg is a free agent and stands at 200cm. He recently turned 26 and is currently in another teams best 22, and is putting up similar numbers to what Cox has done recently. Of course Josh Eyre is already on the list at 199cm and looks the part if he can get his body right.

Steele Sidebottom (Turned 33 in Jan) : Getting Max Holmes would have been perfect, but he re-signed with the Cats. Does Bailey Smith fit the mould? Otherwise, how is Demattia coming along?

Jeremy Howe (Turned 34 in June) : How the hell do you find someone with that leap? Geez I hope he can win mark of the year whilst he's at Collingwood, but Jamie has it won this year. Will he play on next year? Josh Battle as a free agent can play the position, but he is not the same kind of player as Howe, who has been magnificent. Jiath is a player we'll be hoping to see more often in 2025/26. And Jakob Ryan is a 19 year old, 189cm defender with quick reflexes. But none of them have that leap which we will miss. Ash has the leap, but not the heart.

Scott Pendlebury is absolutely irreplaceable so I'll leave that one alone. Besides, he still has another 100 games in him. 8)
Last edited by Presti35 on Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBHS
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by BBHS »

You develop your best players and recruit for need imo. It's so hard to get A grade stars from other clubs and rarely happens.

Hopefully a few come out of the pack. Have huge hopes for HH.
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

To add to my last post, I think trading for Keane will help cover the loss of Murphy to retirement. Always good getting a player that is in another teams best 22, and a key position player at that.

It just sucks that we had him on our list... twice. And that now we need to trade to bring him home. Would they be interested in Ash Johnson who we drafted out of the SANFL and has a year to go on his contract?

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07/08/ ... -interest/