Post Match. Pies down to Cats. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Geelong 2023 = Collingwood 2024.

[*] Both reigning premiers.
[*] Both started the season 0-3.
[*] Both rebounded and starting gathering momentum into the season.
[*] Both drop off in the latter stages of the season.
[*] Both had the oldest lists in the league.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Magpietothemax wrote:
dalyc wrote:Disappointing.

Coach needs a Plan B cause when we don’t bring the pressure, or when the oppo play the short kick game we’re screwed.

Injuries killed our year.
I think this is correct. Last year teams tried the uncontested mark plan against us, and we were able to man up and still bring the heat.
I think the team we had still had the potential to win another flag. But for most of the season, we were only playing with half the team we had.
But our team was on the cusp. One more flag was the absolute limit. When injuries eviscerated the team, the team was just not capable of reaching the same level.
Fly keeps maintaining the mantra that it doesnt matter who plays, its how you play.
This is manifestly just propaganda. He doesn't want to use the excuse of injuries. I get that.
Still haven't given up on finals... we can still make the 8...and I feel are quite likely to do so, with players coming back over the next few weeks.

J agree, disappointing, but its a combinatin of mass injuries second only to the Tigers, and look where they are, worst season we have had in years, long term ones, never having a settled side, and the curse of being the regining premier, every team wants to beat the premier, it their grand final. Been a prick of a season, no continuity or settled team, it is what it is. Back to back was always a massive ask, but it woud be nice to cause a couple of major upsets before seasons end. McStay back will make a big difference but its hard to see Finals now. :cry:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Another disappointing but admirable loss. These are the games where we'd run over teams in recent season, but for now lack the silkiness and legs given our injuries and unsettled side this year. Just look at how good Jordy and Jamie are, and consider the games we'd have won with just them alone fit and firing all season.

Don't drop your heads, folks. When you look at players like Harrison, Richards and Longy, we've blooded some players with serious potential. Also, Q had some strong marking/one-on-one wins, Noble's handling was better, and Moorey looked more confident and had better timing when going for the big spoil. Darcy Cameron is a real workhorse and strong unit who just needs help to set up a tag-team strategy against opponents.

It took too long for us to find rhythm again in this game, which is what happens when the team and each position is so unsettled. We had too many errors and kicked too many points during that period, and it took too much to work back into the game, leaving us short at the end.

It really was our season in a nutshell: unsettled, admirably working into games, but making too many errors to make our run-ons count and having gun players like Jordy and Jamie short of legs, then running out of gas. Consider, just Checkers alone could've turned that into a win. More team depth would also also see us with more flexibility, using players like Joshy, Hilly and Bruzzy more effectively when their output is down. But at the mo, we can't make those kinds of in-game adjustments.

Again, though, the attitude was excellent . Good signs on top of blooding so many players are clear: we're still hard to beat, and we can still kick goals quickly and move the ball unstoppably at times. Meanwhile, more team continuity will reduce errors and turnovers considerably, restricting opposition scoring far more than at present.

And by god it's great to see Jamie back. He really is a star, and the epitome of the McRae era and everything good about this team.

The challenge is not right now, but the fact that we're half a dozen good players short for next year, bearing in mind our ageing list. Some of those will come from the new bloods, with Richards a real natural.
Last edited by pietillidie on Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

warburton lad wrote: We have kids like: Allan, Macrae, Sullivan, Dean, Jiath, Demattia, Eyre, Begg, Ryan, Steene and Smit either injured or just learning the trade in the VFL. Some will make it, others (including Ash Johnson & perhaps Bytel) appear to be on the way out.
Allan, McRae, Begg, Ryan and Steene I’ve a line through as does Johnson and Bytel. Won’t make it.
The others are genuine kids, too early but safe to say there are no Brownlow medalist in there.
Our moneyball team won a flag last year. Was awesome, but I fear now the lack of high end draft talent (and picks next year) is going to see the cliff fast approach when our legends retire this year or next.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
23 YIPPEE!!!

Post by 23 YIPPEE!!! »

Who’s seriously thinking that 2023 was our only chance on the flag
And that 2024 on wards will be just on going rebuild after rebuild
We aren’t that different to st Kilda
On going false hope
Most of Collingwood flags were before 1950
And still yet we are yet to witness a modern day era of flags
I shits me that’s always the same story
We are always doing all the wrong things
Except another beating in the media this week
Haff

Post by Haff »

Jezza wrote:Geelong 2023 = Collingwood 2024.

[*] Both reigning premiers.
[*] Both started the season 0-3.
[*] Both rebounded and starting gathering momentum into the season.
[*] Both drop off in the latter stages of the season.
[*] Both had the oldest lists in the league.
We can still sneak in u like them but it’s unlikely.
Need to turn over a few and find a few trade gems as Geelong seem to do every damn year.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
Haff

Post by Haff »

23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:Who’s seriously thinking that 2023 was our only chance on the flag
On going false hope
Dude settle down. Taking the flag for missing the finals in an injury plagued season any day of the week!
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

What'sinaname wrote:Glad the frank conversations works.

Maybe some frank actions now.

The DNA is one of a cancerous cell. We need a complete makeover now.
Welcome to Collingwood McRae.
Now your nightmares will start.

Welcome to Complacentwood.
One flag does every premiership team we've had since the 1950s, just nicely. One trip to the well quenches their thirst every time.

Your Mr.NiceGuy routine has run its race; get angry.
You and numpty Leppitch have no plan-B; your game plan is cooked.

Time to get tough with the dog trotting bludgers who can't be stuffed; they are grown men in need of discipline.
Because they certainly can't be arsed chasing, tackling, manning up, or any of the other basics that drove them in 2022 and 2023.

If Buckley were still coaching, EVERYBODY would be calling for his head on a platter by now.

Our disposal standard is now officially the WORST in the comp.
Fumble, fumble, miss target, fumble turn-over; opposition GOAL.
Rinse repeat, over and over.
Decision making with ball in hand: slow, dumb, 50% inaccurate, and not to first option like it used to be. Geebung's was the polar opposite tonight.
The form they currently exhibit is actually WORSE than early 2021, during Buckley's way out.

I don't want to hear about injuries any more; some very reliable depth players were let go post last season.

Go to AFL website and check the stats for marks:

https://www.afl.com.au/afl/matches/6046#player-stats

12 Geebung players took more marks, than our best ahead of IQ, JD, and Cameron. Putrid keepings-off football both this week and last week, engineered by the Snott Brothers.

I'll single out Darcy Cameron for an epic effort tonight, against those two tin-arse flogs Blicavs, and SDK
The sooner that Dangerflog retires, then this mob will hit the bricks. Good.

So while we're not getting kicked off the park each week, the effort just isn't there like it was in previous two seasons. Looks like the ride is finally over.
Stick honourable losses up your arse; we are the reigning premier - play like it.

And those %$^%$ were total ARSE CREEPS all night, who get worse by the week.

Everybody just thank CHRIST we won the flag last year.
I'd be a broken man if we hadn't.

Well I'm already broken; but would have been beyond repair had we lost....
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

Should’ve kept Ginni & Adams, they’d go alright in this team if we still kept them on the list. But nah…
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

Haff wrote:
warburton lad wrote: We have kids like: Allan, Macrae, Sullivan, Dean, Jiath, Demattia, Eyre, Begg, Ryan, Steene and Smit either injured or just learning the trade in the VFL. Some will make it, others (including Ash Johnson & perhaps Bytel) appear to be on the way out.
Allan, McRae, Begg, Ryan and Steene I’ve a line through as does Johnson and Bytel. Won’t make it.
The others are genuine kids, too early but safe to say there are no Brownlow medalist in there.
Our moneyball team won a flag last year. Was awesome, but I fear now the lack of high end draft talent (and picks next year) is going to see the cliff fast approach when our legends retire this year or next.
How can you strike a line through Steene, Begg, Ryan, Allan at this point??
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

We were never going to win when we picked a team of midgets.
I remember the days of Tony Shaw who had an obsession with midgets.
Craig looks to be following him.
Unfortunately Schultz is a dud.
He tries hard and his commitment is first class.
But his skill level and speed is third class.
As I said in my only topic post in the last few months ....it is the list nicksters!
Too many rookies, preseason and mid season draft picks with some second rate football rejects from other clubs.
We gave up a first round draft pick for Schultz and it is looking like it maybe in the top 10.
What a disaster that trade was.
Bobby Hill needs to play on the wing for a while because his forward work has been dismal in the last few weeks.
Roll on to our next game.
I will probably go and watch our VFL team on Sunday.
To see any hope.
By the way we have lost our last 9 games.
The future is looking dark.
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

Haff wrote:
23 YIPPEE!!! wrote:Who’s seriously thinking that 2023 was our only chance on the flag
On going false hope
Dude settle down. Taking the flag for missing the finals in an injury plagued season any day of the week!

True this dude wallows on mass pessimism, shits me to tears, has all the earmarks of a damn troll. Dickhead. :roll: :roll:
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Greening gold wrote: Tell me how it's fair that Peter McKenna, John Greening, Len Thompson, the Richardson brothers, Terry Waters and so many champions missed out and those two "can't kick, can't mark, won't go in" hangers-on got one.
Fair point. For me the 1970 team was without question the greatest Collingwood team since the Machine sides of the 1920s. The fact we never won in 1970 is one of the greatest cursed luck stories in footy history.

All things being equal (i.e. the players were professional and at the fitness level of 2024) I don't think any team in the competition would get close to the Collingwood 1970 side. Why we never got Peter McKenna to teach our forwards how to kick is one of the greatest travesties in a long line of stupid administrative decisions this club has come up with. Do we have to wait another 20 years for the next flag? Possibly.

BTW no more platitudes at your presser tonight Fly. We've had a gutful. Own the bad times!
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

Piesnchess wrote:
Haff wrote:
On going false hope

True this dude wallows on mass pessimism, shits me to tears, has all the earmarks of a damn troll. Dickhead. :roll: :roll:
You spend a lot of time and posts with criticism of other posters.
Stick to the footy analysis and leave your fellow brethran alone.
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

As Jezza said we are tracking awfully similar to Geelong of 2023 but they have bounced back somewhat.

However having the oldest list in the comp and missing finals is a huge worry. I suspect we are going to make a call on some older players.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.