The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

MatthewBoydFanClub
Been liked: 1 time

Post by MatthewBoydFanClub »

lazzadesilva wrote:^
Roach wasn't really the issue. The issue was we went down the drafting order to take the skinny mobile Richmond ruckman in McKee who was thrashed in the 2002 GF by Keating and McDonald who just bashed the ball forward at the center bounces. What should have happened in that draft was we take Fraser and Pavlich. That would have yielded the 2002 and 2003 premiership cups. Don't know whether it cost Judkins his job but it should have. There should be an unwritten law that you don't touch national draft picks for some quick fix mature recruit unless it makes the difference between winning or not winning a premiership. Ball and Jolly yielded us a premiership in 2010 while Mitchell did the same in 2023. However Shultz was never going to deliver us the 2024 flag. A Tom Lynch or Jeremy Cameron, yes. Schultz, no.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

So I think we’re all coming to a bit of a consensus here where we all know our list isn’t good enough over the medium term and we don’t have a first round draft pick and we do have a lot of over 30’s that are relied upon too much. No matter what happens this year we won the 2023 Premiership.

What matters to me is that we don’t currently have a first round pick in what the good judges are saying is a bumper draft. If we’re not buying into the first round with a player trade out and we do trade in a 2025 pick I will be more disappointed at sacrificing Tom McGuane.

But then who knows what happens next year or throughout Tom’s hopefully long and fruitful pies career, we all wanted O’borne and the Browns and others to kick on but they just weren’t good enough at AFL level.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
inxs88
Been liked: 4 times

Post by inxs88 »

The biggest issue the club must take control is PICK A LANE!!! What do I mean? Decide whether it's the Draft or Trading/Free Agency and go 110%. Obviously with our Draft hand being as miserable as it is, the trading/free agency period should be explored.

What we can't have happen is a timid, tepid and vanilla approach to either strategy whereby the club ends up no mans land with middling draft picks and nominal sugar hits from poor trades like Caleb Daniel and Rory Lobb from the Bulldogs.

We have a genuine talent shortage on our list and rely way too heavily on Nick Daicos. There are gettable players still out their who would make our team superior next year and keep us in the window

The power of adding 3-5 senior first 18 players to a club cannot be under-estimated. Look at:

* 2023: Tom Mitchell, Bobby Hill, Billy Frampton, Oleg Markov
* 2024: X Duursma, Gresham, McKay, Goldstein
* 2024: B Grundy, J Jordan, T Adams

The scary thing at our club this year with Graham Wright away is the deadly silence of player rumours. Cmon Craig Kelly, time to step up!!!!
I love the Pies, hate Carlscum
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Re: The List

Post by masoncox »

Well I read an online critique on the trade with Ginnie and Schultz.
Basically we gave up Ginnie and our first round pick.
Looking like pick 7 and Ginnie.
On the stat side it pointed out that both players ( Ginnie and Schultz had similar ratings.
So we gave up a like for like plus probably a round 7 pick.
Really bad bad recruiting.
I did not know much about Schultz before we drafted him.
But it is obvious to me now that he lacks skills, lacks speed, not a great mark and is only an ordinary decision maker.
He gives 100% effort and is a good tackler.
His negatives must have been obvious to our recruiters.
Geelong after wiring the 2022 GF failed to get in the top 8 in 2023.
So us getting a high ladder position this year was not a given
It was a monumental f..CK up in my humble opinion.
As for Ginnie being toxic....i don't buy that.
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

It is worse... Schultz would have been a unrestricted free agent this year.
We gave up Pick 1 and the Pick we got for Taylor Adams.

Ginnivan - we just swapped 2nd round picks.

Both trades were underpinned on speculation. That we would be better this year. And in part that Hawthorn would be worse.
Neither has come to fruition.

Note to self - don't trade future picks. Did no work in the year before Nick Daicos. Did not work in the year after our flag.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

The current pick 7 could be Harry Armstrong (5goals in the U18 final like a tall Jamie Elliot), Luke Trainor (best U18 intercept defender / medium tall like a Jeremy Howe or Jordan Ridley), Sam Lalor (midfield country bull ala Dusty Petracca DeGoey) or the best KPF Jack Whitlock (200cm strong in the air, good on the ground and agile)

Can’t imagine how any of those prospects could improve our aging team.

On another note I think the Hawks have added incentive to beat the pies this week as we hold each others second round pick and they are currently one spot below us in the ladder. They want to win so they get the earlier second round pick.

I suppose you can’t predict the future that much but Pies brains trust what have you done!
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

Mistakes happen, folks. Perhaps they did overrate the cultural ethos piece. People often do something successfully and then start buying into their own genius a bit too much. Self-righteousness tends to follow, repeating that old mistake of demanding too much uniformity.

I also wonder if Ash Johnson is a victim of that. Maybe not — I'm just thinking aloud — but the temptation is always towards uniformity, which doesn't work for different cats.

But the key as always is in the learning, not in the mistake.
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

Sam Glover
194cms and 84kgs
Turns 28 in December
Would be an excellent acquisition for our back six and can play forward.
Cheaper than Battle.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

pietillidie wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:13 pm ^
That’s the problem. History shows we haven’t learnt a thing when it comes to trading our first round picks.
Buon Giorno
masoncox

Post by masoncox »

The question going forward is;
1. Are we going through the national draft?
2. Are we going to try to trade in and out?
3. Are we going to fill up holes with rejects and pre and mid season drafts?
4.Are we going to fill up with fringe players that other clubs want out?
It is all about the cattle!
We did well with rookies and rejects in 2010
and 2023.
Somehow I think it is going to be a long road going forward.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

I think another question is are we, the fan base, willing to face a year in the wilderness in order to get the next top pick (1-5sh)? In other words are we willing to bottom out early for long-term benefit? Yes, we've had a shocking year for injuries. But a point to be made is that many of the longer term, team destabilizing injuries have been many of our veterans (Cox, Mitchell, Howe, Pendlebury, Elliot, Mihocek, etc). Do we think this will improve next year?
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Inspired by House of the Dragon, we should also do a breeding program with sperm donorship. Breed a shitload of bastards, surely one or two will come on to "ride the dragon".
Boot

Post by Boot »

At the risk of offending some of the woke brigade, the idea of an in-house breeding program a la the novel "1984" should be started by harnessing Peter Daicos as the house stud and have him siring as many sons as possible. Peter Moore should also be encouraged to sire some more sons.
Mating of Pendlebury, Daicos's and DeGeoy with the likes of Brianna Davey, Ruby Schleicher, Jordyn Allen, Brit Bonnici etc. would be an intriguing coupling. :D
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

While I accept we would all like to have a better draft hand than what we CURRENTLY do, I’m not convinced it’s totally all doom and gloom.
The AFL has all but officially confirmed there will be additional draft and trading mechanisms in place for the upcoming off season, so suddenly the club will likely be in a position to include both the 2025 and 2026 first round picks in their strategy ( however that looks) Given that we seemed to have peaked in the eyes of many, hopefully some clubs will see our futures as desirable and that would then allow Collingwood to barter accordingly. Bottom ager, McGuane looks a serious talent and will likely go at the pointy end of the 2025 draft. Again, his availability will at least afford us some flexibility come draft night.
There’s always been a number of ways to skin a cat come draft night and the trade period and going forward there will be even more. I wouldn’t be too negative just yet. We’ve got cap space and we will likely have two future first rounders to make decisions on in this coming off season. There’s still plenty to play out between now and the start of the 2025 season.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

This years draft is apparently very even from 6 to 40 … and even the top 5 is hard to pick. Not sure if that is good or bad for us but hopefully we can buck our recent trend in being awful at drafting in the first two rounds (or really all rounds) and pick up a gem in the 20s or 30s
Buon Giorno