Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Simply_Brutal
Been liked: 8 times

Post by Simply_Brutal »

Big T wrote:^
Who are you giving up to get the top-5 pick, and who are you picking?
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Simply_Brutal wrote:
Who are you giving up to get the top-5 pick, and who are you picking?
I’m giving up De Goey on the basis this is his last year with trade value and I don’t believe our window will be open while he has value.

I’m taking in the draft with that pick a replacement for Pendles if there is not a dead cert gun tall available.

And then I’m quietly seething that I have to do this because we in hindsight fcked up badly and lost a top 10 pick to take Schulz.
Buon Giorno
Simply_Brutal
Been liked: 8 times

Re:

Post by Simply_Brutal »

It’s only a top-10 pick currently because we’ve had a difficult season. Off the back of a premiership it was safe to bet that we would have a stronger season than where we currently are.

If every top pick each year resulted in a Pendles type player, then sure, but they don’t grow on tree’s. Giving up De Goey for a speculative pick is IMO unwise.

This got me thinking about our draft history, and if you exclude Father-Son, who are our most-recent successful first round picks we’ve made? As far as I can tell it’s Quaynor (2018) and De Goey 2014?
Big T

Re: Re:

Post by Big T »

Yep. Quaynor an NGA and de goey top 6 pick from memory. Guaranteed these days with a gun with a top 5 pick. They say this years draft is exceptional - I know that’s a throwaway line but there’s massive hype on this years talent. Shocking year to miss the first round by all accounts. In the end it comes down to whether our list is in need of rebuild (my belief and I may be wrong) or chock full of hidden gems ready to explode (others believe this and may be right).
Buon Giorno
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Hearing a story Taranto is weighing up options should theTigers allow Martin Baker and Rioli all to go (signalling full blown rebuild via draft)
He suits our needs and is already Melbourne based and we would have the cap space.
Just need to find the draft pick
That being said we can find something Tigers may go for
We package Hill and Allan and future 2nd pick snd send it to Fremantle. We get back pick #10 from them.
Fremantle will still have (projected) picks #7 #14 #25
Pick 10 to Tigers Taranto to us
SLORT
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by SLORT »

Perhaps another option ~ Hill & Allan & future #2 to Freo, #10 & Darcy (with them paying some of his salary) to us. This puts Darcy Cameron back in the Cox position (which he did early days with success), Sean Darcy as ruck, and gives us capital to either trade for something or (my preference) get something from this years draft.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Taranto is a shit kick no thanks
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

I don't see Taranto as a high quality on-baller so I wouldn't pursue him and I'd leave the Tigers stuck with the two high price duds they recruited from Giants in Taranto and Hopper. This was the last desperate attempt by Tigers to try and remain competitive after their Dusty Martin led golden era and it has failed miserably. They'll get a good draft pick for finishing low this year and will probably get some draft picks for trading of some older players like Baker, Rioli and maybe Bolton who still have good currency.
Unfortunately I don't see Collingwoods draft position enabling any strong trading to occur and given the aging list it would be a bad strategy to continue to trade away our future first round picks.
The way for Collingwood to get around our lack of high draft picks is to hope Alex Condon wants to give up on his basketball career and start an AFL career with us, hope that Will Parker continuous to develop into a quality AFL player and secure a couple of unrestricted free agents such as Josh Battle and Cameron Zurhaar.
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Some in the media expect Caleb Daniel to be at Collingwood next year. Doesnt exactly fill our urgent need in the KPP department. Are we still linked to Lobb and Smith from the Dogs??

Others are reporting that Dan Houston will seek a trade to Victoria for next season. A trade would be difficult, but would be a welcome addition to our backline. 186cm, so not what you'd call a KPP, but still.

GWS are putting big deals in front of Perryman and Cumming. Which I find silly. I wouldnt mind Perryman as a replacement for when WHE gives it away, but not prepared to offer a bigger deal than what GWS have put up.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

I am reading that Mark Keane at Adelaide (heavily linkd to being back at Collingwood next year) might have back out and now staying put.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxspo ... 7817b5d500

To be honest, his statement wasn't concrete. Just a "I will review at the end of the year"

Shame if we miss out.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Sounds like he wants a long term extension at the crows, which is what he is referring to "end of the year"
SLORT
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by SLORT »

The fact that he says that he will wait till the end of the year gives me hope. Most of those that truly want to stay tend to make that move before their contract runs out. I'd think an offer of six years (he's 25 next year) would be worth it. I'd think that if Howe is retiring then Keane would be a must get. As he's out of contract I'm just a bit uncertain as to how we land him. I'm thinking that we hope they have interest in Ash Johnson (which may be as they already have the bigger key forward positions covered) and make a trade; otherwise we'd have to offer overs and hope he slides to one of our later picks (not sure he'd get to round 3, #44...)
Big T

Post by Big T »

We have a shocking history trading away first round picks and a good history bringing them in.

2004 swapped 7 for 10 and 37 lost Jordan Lewis took Chris Egan LOSS swapping picks
2006 traded Tarrant for pick 8 got Ben Reid WIN bringing top 10 pick in
2007 traded pick 14 for Cameron Wood lost Jack Grimes 100 game player LOSS
2009 traded pick 14 for Jolly lost Lewis Jetta 200 game player I’d say even - jolly important for our flag
2013 we really outdid ourselves in a trade we went from 11 to 6 to get Scharenberg Dom Sheed was taken at 11 massive loss and cost us the 2018 flag on top of that
Beams for pick 5 De Goey, plus crisp, massive WIN bringing a pick in by trading away a top liner
2015 Treloar for pick 7 and 2016 1st round net loss of Jacob Hopper and Griffin Logue - I’d say evens
2019 brought beams back lost picks 18 and 2019 1st round equivalent to Ely Smith and Mitch Georgiades LOSS clearly

Bottom line bringing 1st round picks in has been good business, trading away 1st round or even swapping positions generally a loss.

How about we just don’t fck around with our top picks for a while and get the top end drafting right.
Buon Giorno
Boot
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Boot »

How about we just don’t fck around with our top picks for a while and get the top end drafting right.
[/quote]

Exactly!
Collingwood Domination. Envy of the Nation!
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Trading for Harrison Jones and Mark Keane would be fine by me. 2 tall KPPs. But as if Essendon will come to the party, even if Jones requests the move. (Dons have Wright and Langford playing up front with Jones moved to the wing. Although tonight against the Crows, Wright has been dropped and Jones has kicked the first 2).

Ainsworth is staying with the Suns. He was heavily linked to Essendon. But we can scratch his name off the free agency possibilities.

Elliott Himmelberg is still available as is Zurhaar, but both have not been linked to the Pies yet.

If we address our KPP shortage first, then I will be happy to look at Caleb Daniel, etc. And yes, Im still worried about not having a first rounder to trade or use this year.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!