Pre-Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments

Post by The Black and White Lion »

shawthing wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:50 am
Piesnchess wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:51 am.

The one advantage we've got in this game is that Adam Yze seems very likely to be a coaching muppet.
The way we’ve failed to play any decent football after quarter time over the last month, well I fear the muppets might be a chance. It’s unconventional I know but Cameron struggling in the ruck now, can imagine BigBird bodying him in every contest and getting the tap much like Meek. Can see Miss Piggy snapping John Noble in two for sidestepping Kermit leading to an easy goal for Fozzie in the square and oh can you imagine the celebration. Beaker’s jaw will be on the floor
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

stoliboy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 2:29 pm
Edward Allan - missed VFl. No form line to select from
Finlay Macrae - yes include him for a sustained run. No outs for rest of season.
Harry Demattia - hasn’t done much at VFL level since his first game
Jakob Ryan - injured. Hasn’t done much either other than a nice goal from 50 against Casey.
Tew Jiath - has lacked poise and space since going back to VFL and his disposal has shown
Josh Eyre - 1 week after concussion and playing KPD. Seems to early
Jack Bytel - gets the ball and sprays it. Similar performance to Naicos. Get him in
Harvey Harrison - he’s had a week off. Yep get him in and freshen up the wing.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Magpietothemax
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpietothemax »

RudeBoy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:20 pm I honestly will throw up if I hear Fly say one more time that we're "constantly improving and are working to be the best versions of ourselves". In truth we are not constantly improving - in fact, this year we have been steadily worsening. I know he means well, but seriously, if I'm getting sick of hearing it I can only imagine how the players feel about it. There is way too much rhetoric and managerial jargon, which can certainly be useful and effective in the short term, but runs the risk of becoming meaningless, after you've heard it a thousand times.

This is not me having a crack at Fly, who, after all, is possibly the best coach we've ever had. However, even he has to learn, adapt and evolve. The messaging which worked well last year, may not be useful this year.
If we lose to Richmond, and his presser contains the phrases "constantly improving" and "being the best versions of ourselves", I will hop on your wagon, Rudey.
Free Julian Assange!!
Ice in the veins
Piesnchess
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by Piesnchess »

RudeBoy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 4:20 pm I honestly will throw up if I hear Fly say one more time that we're "constantly improving and are working to be the best versions of ourselves". In truth we are not constantly improving - in fact, this year we have been steadily worsening. I know he means well, but seriously, if I'm getting sick of hearing it I can only imagine how the players feel about it. There is way too much rhetoric and managerial jargon, which can certainly be useful and effective in the short term, but runs the risk of becoming meaningless, after you've heard it a thousand times.

This is not me having a crack at Fly, who, after all, is possibly the best coach we've ever had. However, even he has to learn, adapt and evolve. The messaging which worked well last year, may not be useful this year.

Massive, unending long term injuries ruined our season, we get two back, we lose three more, now Krooge out with this concussion stuff, same as Shultz had, its a revolving door. Worst injury list in League, next to the Tigers, and look where they are. Injuries are not an excuse, they are a reason, as Barassi said, and we have had no settled team,no continutiy all season long nearly. Fly hates blaming injuries, thats why he says what he does, he skirts that profound issue. I like his style, i trust him to get us back on track, starting this week. No Finals, thats gone id say, but we will finish the season in better shape than now, then roll on 2025, hit the trades and draft hard.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

shawthing wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:50 am
Piesnchess wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:51 am IF, our guys have one ounce of pride left, conscience, soul searching, love of our Club, our fans, dignity, anger, fury, they will come out literally breathing fire, and destroy the Tigers. Defeat is not an option, this is victory or death literally. INS- Cox, McCreery, Shultz, Dean, OUT- Krooge (concussion), Marcov, Sidey (rested), maybe IQ. Woods by 47 points. It better be. !!
The modern generation of footballer prefers to high five mistakes and make up silly celebrations (NFL style) to celebrate goals. They will not come out breathing fire. They don't even know what that means. Those old days of motivational footy are over mate.

That's why coaching is even more important these days. You can't rev people up so it all comes down to strategy. That's why people are calling Sam Mitchell a budding genius.

The one advantage we've got in this game is that Adam Yze seems very likely to be a coaching muppet.

I agree to a certain extent that the old days of a coach going off his nut at halftime, baking the players, ala Barassi, or Tom Hafey are over, yes, But I do believe the majoity of players do care about the fans, the kids, and do want to win for them, Ive seen Naicos, Moore, Josh, Cox, Pendles, etc all over our fans when training ends, Ive seen this on Utube, post training . They dont want to let us or the club down, look at what Moore has said bout the the 23rd man stuff, the lift it gives our guys.That Collingwood chant sends chills down their neck, inspires them, and did play a part in our flag, no doubt of it. They were humiliated by Hawks, they have pride, redemption, I think we will see a very different team this week, compared to the last week.
Poverty exists not because we cannot feed the poor, but because we cannot satisfy the rich.

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Rude mentioned in this thread is a few comments about todays players and the rainbows and unicorn approach
Now I understand it’s a changing world and putting your arm around the kids shoulder is more acceptable than the old approach of a foot up the ass.
But this only works if the players take accountability for there own performances
I’ve banged on for years about seeing players laughing and smiling after bad losses and again the weekend we witnessed players hugging and joking with Ginnivan after the game
It frankly made me sick
I believe in shanking a opponents hand win lose or draw at all times
I don’t believe in hugging and joking with them
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

This won't be an easy game and we might be lucky to win it.
I hope Cox is back we have really missed him. We need his linking marking power and presence around the ground - though how good he will be coming back underdone after injury is anybodies guess (well that's almost half the team really).
I'm not that confident of a win since a number of our key play makers are struggling to run out games and seriously fade out usually halfway through the third quarter - Pendlebury, Sidebottom, and Crisp (also Degoey but at least he has the potential to improve after a spell of rest and medical attention).

The good thing for us is that Richmond will play their version of chaos ball and are unlikely to be capable of successfully applying a short passing possession game. So if we get our play on game going we should be right I hope.

Things not to do this week:
Pointless handballs to players under-pressure.
No more high-speed thoughtless playing on after a mark (I'm looking at you Darcy Moore).
No more kicking it onto the heads of our forwards.
No more ball watching.
Leaving opposition small forwards unmarked.
That's about it.
Collingwood by 4 points.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Take_a_Screamer wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:29 am I'd also give Crisp a spell in the VFL, bring in Bytel, etc

noooooo absolutely not! this guy deserves to keep his record intact!!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 84 times

Post by think positive »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 8:43 pm^
you forgot dinky kicks, all the silly little showboat shit!
and yes, dont handball from a mark, kick the fricken thing its called football not handball!!

and run with the ball carrier, even if you only have 1 leg, 1 lung and 1 eye!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Bytel has to be rewarded. He’s the only one consistently getting high possessions in that train wreck of a vfl side.

We are getting nutted in the clearances. I wanna hear McRae roll that line out in memory of the good old days, cos we are there and then some.
Buon Giorno
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Beat the Tigers and we’re on the cusp of the top 8.
Amazing what a win will do to the belief and confidence to the team.
After the putrid performance last week I expect us to win this week and then lift for Pendlebury’s 400th game against the Blues.
I’m not writing us off just yet because I know how good we can be.

Go Pies!!!
- Side By Side -
Piesnchess

Post by Piesnchess »

slangman wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:46 pm Beat the Tigers and we’re on the cusp of the top 8.
Amazing what a win will do to the belief and confidence to the team.
After the putrid performance last week I expect us to win this week and then lift for Pendlebury’s 400th game against the Blues.
I’m not writing us off just yet because I know how good we can be.

Go Pies!!!

Good on you mate ,a sane positive post, well said. Im on another Pies site, no names, and i mentioned that im on NIcks site, here. Five posters contacted me, and said they used to be on Nicks, but found far too many negative posters, consistently glass half empty, one said , he got out, " fed up with the crap spewed on our team by so called fans, who shat the nest with a loss.". (his words). Another said Nicks was "too depressing". I tend to agree. :o

gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

In our favour this week, Richmond would be silly to try too hard to win.
SLORT
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by SLORT »

^I can understand why he does this. He's all about consistency of message. It's also an easy way to chew up a bit of question time without giving away too much. However there does come a point where it comes off as meaningless, if not down right delusional (eg Kamala Harris "I can imagine what will be, unburdened by what was").
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

De Goey has acknowledged publicly that he's still suffering from debilitating groin/abdominal issues hampering his ability to kick and run out games, which we've all seen. There needs to be more acknowledgement of plain truths with our fitness and form of our personnel as well as clear plans to turn things around. Fly has been consistent with his messaging around growth mindset but without more acknowledgement of where we are at, it risks coming across as a form of rationalisation/ denial without evidence of improvement to most supporters. Kind of like repeating the same mistake over and over again but expecting a different result, let's hope that this insanity ends here and we turn it around for the rest of the season but with the games we've got against top sides it will take a master-stroke of psychology to get this side to believe in itself again and execute the plans to start winning again
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"