Pre-Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments

Post by warburton lad »

Totally in agreeable with that.
Rest De Goey this week- if he is not up for the Carlton game, maybe put him out for an operation to be ready for day one of our 2025 preseason.

Outs: De Goey,(managed) Krueger (inj), Markov, Sullivan, Sidebottom (managed)
Ins: Macrae, Cox, Harrison, Jiath, Schultz

Sub: Hoskin-Elliott

When you lose four in a row, there need to be selection consequences.

Win the next two and our season has the barest of pulses- lose either of them and the cue will go in the rack.

Looking forward to an update on the physical health of both Mihocek and, especially, Mitchell whose absence from the centre square has been catastrophic for our prospects.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
Collfucius
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Collfucius »

Collfucius says
'He who speaks of work but shows no effort will not get 4 points'
Wise Man from the Terraces
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

My main concern is that JDG's injury can't be overcome with a week or 2 rest. He will either need 2-3 months rest and/or surgery. So, we'll have to manage him as best as we can, knowing that he'll only be playing at 80-90% capacity, until the end of the season.
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

If we had our first round pick we would put him out to pasture for the year… I have no doubt about that.
Buon Giorno
Take_a_Screamer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 12 times

Post by Take_a_Screamer »

Available: Lachie Schultz, Beau McCreery, Mason Cox, Harvey Harrison
Jack Bytel (31 disposals and nine clearances) and midfielder Finlay Macrae (21 disposals, one goal)
Out: Nathan Kreuger (concussion)

Team Tips: Collingwood’s season hangs by a thread, and they simply must take care of business against the lowly-ranked Richmond if they are to remain in the finals hunt. Craig McRae’s side is likely to be boosted by the returns of Lachie Schultz and Beau McCreery, while it looks as though Mason Cox will come back into the AFL side for Nathan Kreuger (concussion). Former Saint Jack Bytel (31 disposals and nine clearances) and midfielder Finlay Macrae (21 disposals, one goal) could also come into McRae’s calculations after solid VFL outings, as will Harvey Harrison who was managed against the Hawks. The Pies were absolutely belted by Hawthorn in round 19 and given they’ve lost four on the trot, don’t be surprised if McRae makes a selection statement or two.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-20 ... 1237c59a86
Ash Johnson...you beauty
Johnson Screamer @ https://www.afl.com.au/video/931485/joh ... -epic-mark? ❤️️
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

All this bs celebratory shits & giggles stuff starts at grass roots, listen to any Coach & they sugar coat everything!

My eldest grew up with harsh Coaches calling a spade a spade, you fk’ed up, you were benched until you showed something that warranted you back.

Anyways, need to win this weekend, keep the hopes alive somewhat.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
What'sinaname
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by What'sinaname »

ANNODAM wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 3:39 pm All this bs celebratory shits & giggles stuff starts at grass roots, listen to any Coach & they sugar coat everything!

My eldest grew up with harsh Coaches calling a spade a spade, you fk’ed up, you were benched until you showed something that warranted you back.

Anyways, need to win this weekend, keep the hopes alive somewhat.
All Fly had to say was..."The boys better bring their mouthguards to training"
Fighting against the objectification of woman.
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

I'm not sure if all this nostalgia for fire and brimstone coaching is valid or not. There were plenty of firebrand coaches who achieved very little in their tenure I recall. McRae's methodology works as we have seen and will probably work again, once we sort out the game plan and some of the more glaring personnel issues - Because that is what needs fixing more than anything I feel.

I also wonder if giving Degoey 2-3 more weeks may have helped his overall fitness, as it seems he was brought back too early, the same as with some others. There has been almost an air of desperation to some of our selections with the coaching panel this year looking like it chasing immediate wins over other concerns. I can understand that you are only as good as your last game in the footy business, but given our current progress, our win lose record may not have been much different if he was out for some recent matches.

Hopefully this coming game will see some adjustments to our game plan as the current version seems to be well worked out now. We need a more defensive mindset but that seems to be a bit of a stretch, given the way we play this year...
Last edited by Gerry Cooper on Wed Jul 24, 2024 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

I don’t care which methodology a coach decides to use as long as it brings results.

We will do the Tigers!!!
- Side By Side -
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

it's been an extraordinary season - at the start of the year, the discussion on this board was how does anyone else get a chance to break into the team, given how strong we were.

At the moment, you probably only have Naicos and Cameron playing strongly this year.
Charlie Oneeye
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Charlie Oneeye »

Hands up if, like me(many times in 50 yrs), you have made your way to the ground on a stormy ice-cold miserable afternoon, and then having endured frozen hands and ass you watch the side get thrashed, and you walk back to your car and wonder where the improvement will come from.

You start counting the players worth keeping on one hand,

Only to get back into the ring a week later and the team looks nothing like the week or weeks before. Premiership like performance.
Said by Zed
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Said by Zed »

If our medicos believe De Goey can’t do any further damage to his groin/adductor and is right to go then definitely play him…at least for the next three games. In the last few Jordy has been a shadow of his former self however he’s also been one of our best every week…him at 80% is definitely better than most others recently at 120%.
The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men...
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Charlie Oneeye wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:54 pm Hands up if, like me(many times in 50 yrs), you have made your way to the ground on a stormy ice-cold miserable afternoon, and then having endured frozen hands and ass you watch the side get thrashed, and you walk back to your car and wonder where the improvement will come from.

You start counting the players worth keeping on one hand,

Only to get back into the ring a week later and the team looks nothing like the week or weeks before. Premiership like performance.
Oh yeah 1999 versus Freo at the MCG. We parked near Richmond Station and walked to the ground through a thunderstorm absolutely chucking it down with rain only to sit at the fence in the Great Southern Stand for it to start hailing. I reckon the rain stopped sometime early in the first quarter and we were frozen like ice cubes for the rest of the match. Fortunately the pies won!
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
swooper
Has liked: 55 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by swooper »

Collfucius wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 9:11 am Collfucius says
'He who speaks of work but shows no effort will not get 4 points'
:D :D
Durka
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Durka »

It seems to me that injuries are not the main reason for the current performance levels. We’ve a few playing injured but all teams have that. Our “out injured” list in terms of numbers, is about average compared to other teams. We certainly don’t have the players out that Carlton or Brisbane do. Look at our missing and you will see that there are only a couple of first choice players there. The rest are fringe players at best. Richmond have 19 players missing or being tested. If they beat us it’s because something else is going on. Players that were stars last year are duds this year - I’m looking at you Moore, Quaynor, Maynard. Others haven’t improved at all or have regressed.