Pre-Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Tigers. All comments

Post by stui magpie »

^
The new Pressure Ratings tells it all. It takes no skill to pressure, just intent which is all mental.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

I don’t care the ladder positions or the other teams, I never wanna lose, ever.

Realistically though, we can’t win every game.
It’s just sad how far off the pace we are right now, I hope something changes & quickly!
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

As others have mentioned, I think the main problem is a current lack of confidence and self-belief amongst our team. Previously, we played on instinct with an exciting attacking brand of football, built off a strong rebounding defence. Clearly, losing Murphy has hurt us, but let's not forget we won the Grannie last year without him for 3/4 of the game. Personally, I think we chopped and changed our defence around way too much, instead of sticking with a stable line-up. I would like to see Moore, Frampton, IQ, Noble, Howe and (possibly) Markov left in their defensive positions for the remainder of this season.

For this week, hopefully we get back Cox, Schultz and Harrison. The outs should be Sullivan, Long and Krueger (inj).
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

RudeBoy wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:49 am
Losing Murphy has effectively crippled the backline!
Frampton won't get selected this week, as I doubt there is a like-for-like forward for him to match up on.
Noble, Markov and WHE would be shitting themselves, after their insipid performances last week.
Long wasn't great, but at least had a go. My expectations of Sullivan were obviously too high.

Here's hoping Bitchmond take their draft position more valuably than any 2024 ladder position.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 32 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 5:05 pm ...Our injuries has definitely hurt the continuity of selection week on week which hurts and also I don’t think the coaches or selection panel have been ruthless enough in punishing poor performances of established players the same way they have with younger players
Yes the constantly revolving door for our newcomers to the seniors hasn't helped their development and probably has hampered it in fact. I think the spate of injuries has certainly saved those senior players in poor form from a spell in the VFL. There are at least two or three such players and staying in the team has done little for their form also.

As an aside, I do wonder if our current structure and line-up is subject to the unexpected side effect of our mighty premiership win, meaning that players who might have been earmarked for possibly being moved on at the end of 2023, who played in the premiership team, were not moved on. Sliding doors...
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Croat Pie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 3 times

Post by Croat Pie »

Piesnchess wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 9:37 am
Durka wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2024 8:45 am It seems to me that injuries are not the main reason for the current performance levels. We’ve a few playing injured but all teams have that. Our “out injured” list in terms of numbers, is about average compared to other teams. We certainly don’t have the players out that Carlton or Brisbane do. Look at our missing and you will see that there are only a couple of first choice players there. The rest are fringe players at best. Richmond have 19 players missing or being tested. If they beat us it’s because something else is going on. Players that were stars last year are duds this year - I’m looking at you Moore, Quaynor, Maynard. Others haven’t improved at all or have regressed.

WE have had a horror run, the second most amount of injuries, never ending, compared to the Tigers and look where they are, rock bottom. To say players out for long times, like De Goey, Elliott, McStay, Mihocheck, Cox, dont equal Blues outs is arrant nonsense, rubbish. We get two back, lose two more, shultz out, comes in, then Krooge out, a **** door, the team has not had a dogs hope in hell of being settled, whole season. Add to that, Murphy retiring , hit us very hard, and some players way out of form, for whatever reason, and we are where we are. Personally im not even thinking of Finals, I just want to beat the Tigers, then play our own "Grand Final " against the Blues for Pendles 400th milestone. Beating them, is all I want now, whatever comes after, is a bonus.
That about sums it up for me too. Would love a win over the scum for Pendles' 400th. After that game, any other win is a bonus.
maurs64
Been liked: 1 time

Post by maurs64 »

Hate to say it, but it looks like another wet day. We just can't seem to function in the rain. And I'm not looking forward to sitting in the rain two weeks in a row, especially if we lose yet again.
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Thinking about previous selections coupled with our injury list coupled with the lack of form of some key players and veterans I wonder if the coaches and selection committee have shown too much loyalty to certain players and this has festered among the group.
We’ve seen the form of our skipper be very poor the majority of the season. I’m not advocating he should have been dropped but the message coming out of the club has been “nothing to see here he’s fine” maybe a pot shot in the media saying “yeah he’s been way down on form and needs to lift he’s a captain and we expect better”
I’m not singling our Moore that same approach could have been used on Hill, Sidey, Frampton, Schulz, IQ, Noble and a few other during the year.
The hugging and supporting is fine but sooner or later there needs to be an old thing called “the truth” and the harsh realty it brings some times.
Flys new age unicorn and rainbows approach works quite well but obviously the message internally is falling short now.
Our system failures are only part of the problem.
Someone said previously our one wood has been pressure. Pressure doesn’t take skill or experience it’s about attitude and desire. There’s countless times our pressure rating goes up and down more than a hookers skirt.
I’ve watched closely the past couple weeks and seen players like Long, Richards and Harrison try to apply manic pressure around the contest
I’ve also seen more experienced players stand meters away and watch as the ball is extracted and feed off to the opposition without moving at all towards the contest.
That’s a attitude thing
I understand when form is down and it can impact but there’s been signs for the best part of this season that a few players have been resting on last years GF
Let’s hope that at a minimum we see effort and desire for the remainder of the season from all players selected.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

In: L.Schultz, M.Cox, B.Frampton, J.Bytel, H.Harrison, W.Parker
Out: R.McInnes (omitted), N.Kreuger (concussion), J.Richards (omitted)

Reef omitted? FMD, what are we doing at selection.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

stui magpie wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 6:52 pm Reef omitted? FMD, what are we doing at selection.
We obviously had a glut of goal kickers last week...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^^^
I don't understand the Reef omission either. But then according to the CFC team selection news Mason Cox has had an amazing reaction to his concussion and knee injury and has grown 9cm over the last 6weeks. He's now coming in at 221cm tall. That must be an AFL record or CFC have lost all hope including typing and editing skills.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1 ... nded-squad

Nice to see Parker selected again post his rapid recovery from his knee injury also.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
gurugeoff
Been liked: 4 times

Post by gurugeoff »

Reef always get drops, apparently not liked. Richards, a shame, only one of the speculative picks showing any class
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

I’m buggered if I know why Reef was dropped! It’s chronic manic panic, frantic selections. It’s hard to fathom any logic.
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
masoncox
Been liked: 3 times

Post by masoncox »

lazzadesilva wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:33 pm I’m buggered if I know why Reef was dropped! It’s chronic manic panic, frantic selections. It’s hard to fathom any logic.
Yeah seems strange to pick him one week and drop him the next.
Seems a pointless way of doing things.
Maybe he has his visa stamped for another club next year.
pietillidie
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by pietillidie »

qldmagpie67 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:07 pmFlys new age unicorn and rainbows approach works quite well but obviously the message internally is falling short now.
I'm a new age unicorn and rainbows advocate where possible, but at the same time I'm also fully aware that the message and mission has to adjust to the moment and internal context. I assume Fly will evolve with the team, because the rainbows and unicorns approach is above all supposed to be self-aware and authentic/native to the group. But I'm guessing it's not something you can shift on-the-fly (pun intended!), but rather need to work on pre-season. It's a different sort of challenge for him, remembering that when he arrived the group had come from a dour, joyless context, whereas now he's got to take it in another direction to instill the tough, disciplined basics, especially given the massive list changes. I reckon he's the sort of bloke who will enjoy the challenge of that shift in situation, so here's hoping.

(As a bit of an aside, that's why I hate the old puerile 'gentle support versus tough love' back-and-forth. As I always say, the strict unforgiving discipline that drives some to greatness causes others to commit suicide. So, the right answer is always 'it depends on the person, group and moment', with part of good leadership about reading the signs and seasons).
In the end the rain comes down, washes clean the streets of a blue sky town.
Help Nick's: http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/fundraising.htm