Trade winds: Ed Richards

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Member 7167

Trade winds: Ed Richards

Post by Member 7167 »

An interesting article about a member of the Richards clan, a name synonymous with Collingwood that will come up in the this years draft.

No father and son pick for us but it wouldn't be magical to have a talented Richards play once again the Black & White

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-dr ... f5781a7ba5
Now Retired - Every Day Is A Saturday
Geek

Post by Geek »

They put him at pick 15-30. Here's hoping he makes it to our pick 37.
stui magpie
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 73 times

Post by stui magpie »

yet another fkn HBF.
Still, sounds like a quality kid and the romanticism is attractive.
Every dead body on Mt Everest was once a highly motivated person, so maybe just calm the **** down.
Presti35
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Presti35 »

This is a romance thing.

Can imagine Melbourne taking him and then Starchevich too, wouldnt that be a kick in the guts for them to have both of them plus Weiderman and Petracca a die hard Pies boy.
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
ad4eva

Post by ad4eva »

All of the Phantoms I've seen have him around picks 15-30 while Starchevich falls between 30-50.

Cant see us landing both, plus Tyler Brown.
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

Presti35 wrote:This is a romance thing.

Can imagine Melbourne taking him and then Starchevich too, wouldnt that be a kick in the guts for them to have both of them plus Weiderman and Petracca a die hard Pies boy.
Just be thankful the Toffs didn't get Darcy Moore as well...

Petracca looks very happy there; well he did until the end of round 23 anyhoo...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Drafted to the Western Bulldogs.

Maybe we'll see him later in his career?
Jezza
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Starcevich went to Brisbane at pick 18.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
Presti35

Post by Presti35 »

Jezza wrote:Starcevich went to Brisbane at pick 18.
:cry:

Altho he's a fit up there too. Still, it would have been cool to give him #27. (Kirby would have to change numbers tho).
Joel

Post by Joel »

Jezza wrote:Starcevich went to Brisbane at pick 18.
Nephew though.
SLORT
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 61 times

Re: Ed Richards

Post by SLORT »

This guy is restricted free agent next year. Has turned into a gun since moving into the midfield in round 6. Think we should give him a look, still only 25yo, a good size (188cm, 89kg). I think he still has a lot of upside.

Average stats since moving mid (round 6) ~
Disposals = 22, Contested = 9, Clearances = 5, Tackles = 5

Not sure we could entice him out of Footescray but I think he'd be a good fit beside Nick and McGuane in the midfield.
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

His career is going great guns at Footscray, so I can't see why he would risk it by changing clubs. Btw, I think we have greater needs.
SLORT
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by SLORT »

RudeBoy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:23 am His career is going great guns at Footscray, so I can't see why he would risk it by changing clubs. Btw, I think we have greater needs.
Money (the usual the answer, with the Doggies getting stretched thin by all their top end talent), and a famous Collingwood family might help. As to the second, a lot of our game plan / style is dictated by the quality of our midfield, and we're at the stage where renewal is required. I'm a bit worried about Nick and De Goey being left to carry the load as Sidebottom, Mitchell, Pendles, Crisp (will be 32 at this point) are all at or reaching the end. I don't see enough in the next batch that gives me confidence. Also, when a player starts getting groin / hamstring issues late in his career (De Goey) I worry that they'll quickly fall off a cliff (a la G. Brown, Mick McGuane, even Buckley) missing larger blocks of games stuck in recovery mode.

As to our other needs, I hope I'm wrong but I've basically given up on the notion that we'll ever bag a big fish in the forward line, and it seems that this year will probably be a bust on the free agent / restricted agent / trade front (unless you count Keane).
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

SLORT wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 2:15 am This guy is restricted free agent next year. Has turned into a gun since moving into the midfield in round 6.
Think we should give him a look, still only 25yo, a good size (188cm, 89kg). I think he still has a lot of upside.
Not sure we could entice him out of Footescray but I think he'd be a good fit beside Nick and McGuane in the midfield.
He can have Markov and Noble's contracts rolled into one; he gets the same amount of ball as them, but actually hits the target.
SLORT wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 8:15 am
RudeBoy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 7:23 am His career is going great guns at Footscray, so I can't see why he would risk it by changing clubs.
Btw, I think we have greater needs.
Money (the usual the answer, with the Doggies getting stretched thin by all their top end talent), and a famous Collingwood family might help.
Trying to factor who's demanding the top coin at Footscray?
Bont, JUH, Norton, Darcy, MacRae, Weightman, Dale, Smith & English [both departing?]
Treloar [are we still paying for this fiasco?]
Perhaps it tapers off after that, so I'm not convinced their cap is maxxed compared to other teams...
The rest are solid contributors at present, and I'd presume are on "average contracts", for want of a better term...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever