Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Re: Trade Targets ~ Free Agency & MSD player movements

Post by Pies2016 »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2024 4:16 pm Well the AFLs great trade and draft rule updates came through and they’ve caved to Carlton Brisbane and Richmond on F/S and double year trading shifting that back to start in 2025. Will be harder for us to pick Tom McGuane as a consequence.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1185295/dra ... -to-change

We do get to retain rookies for longer up to 5 years from this year
Yes, we’ve been screwed big time on the new F / S rules that come into place next season when Thomas McGuane becomes available as an F / S selection for the club.
The draft value index has been diluted significantly and worse still, the F / S points reduction goes from 20% down to only a 10% reduction.
To early to calculate how the revised system would impact his points value but it’s certainly going to make any manoeuvring in the 2025 draft much more difficult to navigate.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
derkd
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 20 times

Post by derkd »

^ if the changes pan out the way they seem they will. I don't think we are "screwed" at all. Once again a giant act of 'window dressing' by the AFL. The loop hole is trading two year in advance.

Okay, so let's say they tighten the points index everything after 3rd round has little to no value? (Is that correct?).

What stops Collingwood from packing up some late second round pick(s) and third round picks ...then forward trading some 3rd round picks from say 2026/27 to make up the points?

They have tightened the rules...but from my reading ..al you have to do is trade away another year forward of picks that would be unlikely to be used in the draft anyway.
"To know nothing of events before your birth, is to forever remain a child" - Cicero (Roman Lawyer/Senator) 46 BCE.
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Pies2016 »

^^^
The AFL have just rubber stamped that trading futures two years in advance won’t come in until 2025 at the earliest. The “ good “ news is the AFL have also acknowledged they will potentially ease some of the restrictions that have historically come with trading futures ( previously trading out a first round restricted you from any further trading out in that same draft year )
The problem is, the revised dilutions of BOTH the DVI and the reduced F / S discount will render ( later ) picks in the third round close to useless.
Let’s not forget, these new conditions have been introduced to tighten up the benefits that came with F/S selections, so in theory, acquiring young McGuane has been designed to cost more, as compared to the current rules.
Ultimately, the key to the degree of difficulty of this exercise really depends on where the bid for McGuane comes in. The earlier the bid, the more problematic, albeit the earlier the bid also means the more highly he’s regarded in that talent pool.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

Peter Wright playing like crap this year. Been omitted again by Scott.

If we can't find anyone else, maybe he can fill the gap at FF? He was a B&F winner in 2022.

27yo, 203cm, grew up supporting the Pies.... Could be an easy trade?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
SLORT
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 63 times

Post by SLORT »

Presti35 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:26 pm Peter Wright playing like crap this year. Been omitted again by Scott.

Especially if he's on the wrong side of Scott...he can be pretty petty. He's contracted till 2027. Just wonder what we'd give up for him?
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

SLORT wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:53 pm
Presti35 wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2024 2:26 pm Peter Wright playing like crap this year. Been omitted again by Scott.

Especially if he's on the wrong side of Scott...he can be pretty petty. He's contracted till 2027. Just wonder what we'd give up for him?
I was furious we didn't secure him at the end of 2020, but with those cap problems and off-loading of Treloar, stevo, phillips, it was apparent we couldn't squeeze him in.

I doubt they'll trade him in 2024 at least; Weideman on the other had would seem to have his papers stamped.

Perhaps we can try for Wright at end of 2025, if Cox decides to pull the plug?
There's the replacement player, with Dons chipping in for a substantial part of his wages, like good little dopers.
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
Micro
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Micro »

Not sure if this is the appropriate forum but I would like to at least give a rookie spot to Glover and MacDonald from our VFL reserves and if possible young 18 year old kid by the name of Warburton. He played his first game for pies VFL at weekend. I have seen this kid develop in the Goulburn Valley League. Very talented.
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Peter Wright ????
Has anyone noticed how shit he has played against Collingwood ?
Has anyone noticed he has the turning circle of a truck?
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

neil wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:11 pm Peter Wright ????
Has anyone noticed how shit he has played against Collingwood ?
Has anyone noticed he has the turning circle of a truck?
disp marks goals hitouts
16 10 2 11
13 8 4 3
8 3 1 5
12 8 3 -
8 5 2 -
13 7 2 10

Looks pretty serviceable to me. Not saying get him, I don't really have an opinion either way.
Presti35
Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Presti35 »

We're all screaming out for a KPF, but there are none available. King twins, Curnow, Hogan, all signed up and going nowhere.

Tex, bit old. Harrison Jones, too hard a trade, Lobb, too old and not good enough, And many believe Himmleberg and Wright are not good enough. But what other options do we have?
A Goal Saved Is 2 Goals Earned!
Magpie Russ
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Magpie Russ »

Presti35 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:14 pm But what other options do we have?
Get quality big bodied mid-fielders around Nick.

I have wanted a KPF for as long as I remember... 'we would win a flag only if'. Then we won one without a KPF (traditional).
Carlton have two. Brisbane had two in the GF.

However, since a generational talent has landed on our door step I have changed my tune... build a side around Nick. By the time we get prime Nick (25 years old) the team needs to be brimming with talent and someone else has done the hard body work - Nick has not had to carry the side ala Cripps.

Project: Build a gun midfield around Nick (BAGMAN)
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by Jen2310 »

We have our eye on the whitlock twins in the draft. Both 200cm.

If we can grab one, that'll help.
Micro
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Micro »

If we are unable to snag one of the preferred KPF, then we should look no further than Glover in our VFL team. Great leap and mark and excellent kick for goal. Can also play at either end of the round. I believe we should rookie him.
WITTY 35 DAICOS MAGIC

Post by WITTY 35 DAICOS MAGIC »

Collingwood are or have inquired about Sam weidemann

Essendon have seen very limited opportunity for Sam that’s behind Peter wright
and no Essendon have caddy they are choosing over Peter wright

Horses for courses

But Sam weidemann could end up at Collingwood
27 years of age
Can play up high half foward
Leaving Mcstay and Mihochek in the goals
THEY JUST HATE US
COS THEY AINT US

DAICOS MAGIC 35
VINTAGE DARREN MILLANE 42
SLORT

Post by SLORT »

WITTY 35 DAICOS MAGIC wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 4:13 pm Collingwood are or have inquired about Sam weidemann
Yeah nah. A B-grade Ash Johnson...