The Toughest Run Home

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Re: The Toughest Run Home

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^^^
I just played the ladder predictor and with some iffy results we finish 8th in a last round nail biter. There is still hope where there are fools like me.

Cmon go pies!
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Doggies put the D's to the sword, and the Eagles swoop the Suns.

Need Giants to stomp Hawks, Dockers to bash Bombers, and Swans to pump Power to keep our window open. Exciting weekend ahead (assuming we beat the blues).

GO PIES!
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

The Black and White Lion wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2024 10:45 pm ^^^
I just played the ladder predictor and with some iffy results we finish 8th in a last round nail biter. There is still hope where there are fools like me.

Cmon go pies!
Whilst we have a pulse, we have hope.

Presuming the pink ducks have had the flu run through the place; it is an ideal time to play them off 6 days next friday night...

Happy to keep playing the fool at my end, if you are...
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I always assumed 14 wins would ensure us a finals berth, but looking at the ladder, we are effectively 2 games out of the 8 because of our poor percentage. Even if we win our remaining 3 games, there would need to be several upset results to open up a finals spot for us. Still, it ain't over til the fat lady sings.
Newelly
Has liked: 42 times
Been liked: 7 times

Re:

Post by Newelly »

Pies4shaw wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 9:22 pm Whichever way I cut it, I can't see us winning more than 8 of those. And I just don't think Collingwood can more than 11 games for the rest of 2024.
You may well have predicted that correctly. Swans, Lions and Dees with the Dees being the likely 11th win. Swans form gives a chance but defeating the Lions would require DeGoey and Mitchell being available and plugging holes in defence.
Chuffed to have seen 3 flag wins in my lifetime but still greedy for more.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Giants cut it thin but did the job on the Hawks. Essendon and Freo are tight at the moment. Looking at it closer I think we want Essendon to win this one. Freo's run home after that is probably as tough as ours (Geelong, Giants, Port Adelaide). Essendon have Suns, Sydney, Brisbane.
David
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 35 times

Post by David »

Funny how all of a sudden these last four games don't seem so ominous. Melbourne are no better than we are (and potentially quite a bit worse), and we're getting Sydney at the best possible time. Neither will be a walk in the park but there's no reason we shouldn't go into both games with confidence. Brisbane will be the biggest test but it helps that we're playing them down here.

I need to look at the Ladder Predictor again after today's results are done and dusted, but it's still hard to see who we displace and how (last week I thought the Power were vulnerable, but we can forget about that now!).

We definitely make it if we win all three games, but our poor percentage seems like it may keep us out if we only win two. Even Hawthorn have a good ten goals on us percentage-wise, and that's only going to get better with their last two fixtures – it could well be that we rue not only that loss but specifically the size of it.
"Every time we witness an injustice and do not act, we train our character to be passive in its presence." – Julian Assange
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Apart from having to win all 3 of our remaining games, which we are certainly capable of doing, we are likely to miss out on finals because of our low percentage. That's why, although we are one game out of the 8, we are effectively 2 games, given our poor percentage. Of course it's still possible for us to sneak into the 8, but a lot of other results would have to fall our way, for that to occur.
BazBoy
Been liked: 29 times

Re: 2024 Injury tracker (please quote/link source).

Post by BazBoy »

JDG done for the year 😱
I'm not arguing--just explaining why i am right
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

^now the results are done I’ve gone through and had us win every game and the favourites win all the others. Has us finish 8th
Whilst I have faith we can beat Syd and then Melbourne last round, I just can’t see us beating the Lions but it is down here..
Freo drop out.
Those two draws (and injures… and form) have killed us. No JDG will make it hard but, we’re not snuffed out yet.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
dalyc
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Salvage

Post by dalyc »

shawthing wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2024 12:59 pm We are a world away from the "team" that we were last year. Don't worry about Carlton or Essendon. Neither can win the flag now. Today's game between Sydney and Brisbane will be a GF preview.
Aged like milk in the sun
Four legged animals good, two legged animals better
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Well with today’s results, the top 4 teams on the ladder are interstates and Freo missed a golden opportunity. The ladder is stuffed like a German sausage but it looks like interstate prelim finals.

Does the MCG still have to hold a PF or so they just get compensated by the AFL? Don’t care but if we make the finals this year, we’re going to have to go by the cape to make it to the GF. Would be most remarkable like the dogs of 2016.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Clifton Hill-Billy
Been liked: 7 times

Re: 2024 Injury tracker (please quote/link source).

Post by Clifton Hill-Billy »

There goes our finals chances
"Hey Ma get off the dang roof!"
Johnno75
Been liked: 16 times

Post by Johnno75 »

As the ladder stands now (Round 21) there would be an Elimination final at the MCG then nothing until the GF.
Human behavioural studies suggest people who use a lot of swear words tend to be more honest & trustworthy.
Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Post by Jezza »

Johnno75 wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2024 9:14 pm As the ladder stands now (Round 21) there would be an Elimination final at the MCG then nothing until the GF.
Would be similar to 2006, where outside of the first week all other finals were played interstate until the Grand Final.

It's possible we get an all-interstate Grand Final for the first time since 2006.
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆