The List (2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions)

This is a Collingwood Bulletin Board - use this forum for general, Pies-related topics. For other footy topics, use Nick's Other AFL forum, and for non-footy sporting topics please use Nick's Sports Bar. For non-sporting topics please use the Victoria Park Tavern.

Moderator: bbmods

Pies4shaw
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 85 times

Re: 2024 player movements / list updates / contract discussions

Post by Pies4shaw »

^ Yes, AFL reported Markov's extension it in late July: https://www.afl.com.au/news/1179320/ins ... 0in%202025
Pies2016
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 87 times

Post by Pies2016 »

Also media reports that Steene is very close to finalising a one year extension or contract that will take him to the end of the 2025 season.
Gary Player “ the harder I practice, the luckier I get “
Durka
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Durka »

Q: How do you avoid being delisted?
A: Be tall.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Pies4shaw wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 1:08 pm According to the AFL webnsite, WHE has re-signed, Jeremy Howe hits his 2025 trigger when he plays his 250th game tomorrow night and an extension is being negotiated with Steene.
Haven't seen any evidence that WHE has re-signed.
Lot's of talks / negotiations being reported, but I think a lot of it may be waiting for when Wrighty gets back to business. Many clubs seem to be in the same situation as us according to the article below. Probably clubs just wanting to keep their trade options open?

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/afl/new ... c891f096df
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: 2024 List (age breakdown)

Post by LaurieHolden »

Born to Pie wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2023 2:41 pm
Jezza wrote:List breakdown by age groups.

Love the list, the players I have separated above I think would be in any teams first 23 (18 players in total), in 2024 we need a few of those listed in the OP aged between 18 - 27 to really stand up and demand selection for us to go back-to-back or better.
@Born to Pie If having to refresh, how do see your earlier assessment? What changes would be made?
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 59 times

Post by Jen2310 »

SLORT wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2024 1:48 pm Haven't seen any evidence that WHE has re-signed.
Lot's of talks / negotiations being reported, but I think a lot of it may be waiting for when Wrighty gets back to business. Many clubs seem to be in the same situation as us according to the article below. Probably clubs just wanting to keep their trade options open?
Doesn't matter if wright is back or not, Bolton/Leppa has taken over his role. And thats likely how it will be going forward. Markov. Pendles (more or less) have signed while Wright has been gone.

Also Oscar Steene is in the final stages of negotations and will sign very soon.

"VERSATILE premiership Pie Will Hoskin-Elliott will be rewarded with another contract at Collingwood."
https://www.afl.com.au/news/1190479/ins ... -elsewhere
BrodieisTops
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Re: The List

Post by BrodieisTops »

Agree, a Leigh Brown would be nice
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

RudeBoy wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:08 pm I'm disappointed in Reef's output this year. Like Finn Macrae, he's been given many chances to demonstrate his worth, but after being with us for a few years now, I'm yet to be convinced that either of them are good enough to retain.

While a great KPF would be welcomed, I'm also not convinced our major need is for a KPF. To my mind, we desperately need a potential A Grade midfielder, especially with the likelihood of JDG's ongoing injury issues. JDG will be 29 before the start of next season. The modern game is won in the guts. Remember we won the flag last year (as we did in 1990) without a genuine FF or CHF.
100% we need two gun mids first and foremost.
Buon Giorno
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

We definately need another mid to help out Naicos Pendles and Sidey are too old
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

Player types we need.

1) A key tall defender - The Murphy gap needs to be closed and Frampton isn't it.
2) A reliable and skilled half back with defensive skills
3) A defensive midfielder/tagger x 2
4) One or two midfielders.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
Gerry Cooper
Has liked: 117 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Gerry Cooper »

And another thing.

Dismiss Josh Fraser and his coaching panel. They have presided over an abysmal result for our reserves this season and are responsible for our reserves players' development - which is currently stagnant. They have had all season to spark something and have just failed dismally. Him and his team need to go before they do any more damage.

Think about it - when Josh Fraser played did he ever strike you as coaching material?

Hine is another one. Year in, year out, he serves us up speedy players who are either (a) deficient in key skills of the game or (b) are at risk of chronic injuries (or both). Personally I think we need fresh eyes on our recruiting - and one that does not identify ideal types but specific players with sound skills for specific roles in mind.
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.�
qldmagpie67
Been liked: 78 times

Post by qldmagpie67 »

Can we some how wrangle Rayner out of Brisbane ?
There cap is tight and he’s showing signs of being a dead set star
Plays similar to JDG and gets forward to kick goals
He’s on a long list of Lions who can play mid and forward
The Lions will add young Ashcroft under father son and have a couple other academy kids who are mid/forwards coming through
He would be worth a long term deal (5 years)
Right age and suits our needs
Jpies

Post by Jpies »

A quick comment re the Sidebottom discussion on the previous page (I won’t quote given how extensive it is).

In fairness to Steele, I think it is important to acknowledge that he made comments at the end of 2022 (if I recall right) stating that he did not want to hold back younger players and encouraged the club to play him in the VFL if he was blocking a younger player who deserved AFL games. So, I have no reason to think he is lacking awareness, or wouldn’t put the team first and support younger players coming through ahead of him. I think the real issue, as has been discussed, is that until this week we have been playing to make finals and there is no one in the VFL who is a clear replacement. I don’t think the issue of him playing on should be all that polarising, as there are obvious advantages and disadvantages of either option which I’m sure the club will consider in light of his expected form, whether we will contend, list spots, player development considerations, and Steele’s wishes.
SLORT
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 62 times

Post by SLORT »

Gerry Cooper wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 3:59 pm Dismiss Josh Fraser and his coaching panel. They have presided over an abysmal result for our reserves this season and are responsible for our reserves players' development - which is currently stagnant. They have had all season to spark something and have just failed dismally.
This is the thing that worries me most. As a fan I'm often equally, if not more, excited by players progression through the VFL than even what is going on the firsts. I feel that is where the heart and soul of the team is being developed, not by the wheeling and dealing of free agents and discards. I know we've had great success in the bargain basement area, I'd just prefer to see us develop our own talent from successful drafting and skillful coaching.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

^
I agree Slort i look at the VFL since the 2018 GF and the recruiting has really struggled since the 2018 beams trade disaster, the Ned Guy and Eddie can't count saga of 2019, the fire sale of 2020 and the Covid drafts. Even without injury the Pies VFL team has been maligned for a long time and rarely bobbed above the fringe of the 8 and often been beaten well. This year's VFL season has been unfairly fixtured with so many more away games than home games as well.

Josh Fraser's had a hard time of this year too given all that's gone on. I've watched a lot of the VFL this year and I'm yet to get excited with our tactics, player roles and structure, even when we've had cattle.

I will say it again I think we made a mistake in delisting Ruscoe and Bianco but did well to delist Murley, Draper and Kelly. Those couple of more mature bodies would have helped us more this year given the injury run.

Of the 2024 VFL, Steene never got going (out of contract). Begg got injured (out of contract and should be playing KPD not ruck). Eyre got going too late (KPD). Ash Johnson clearly not in a good place on the footy field but has kept presenting all year (trade if we can or needs some life changes). Reef will benefit if we stick him in a role where he can play footy rather than pretend to be a KPF (don't blame him if he seeks a trade but it's an indictment on the clubs coaches). Ryan hasn't shown much to me apart from good spots in the Casey game and the Richmond game and he's contracted for another year. Demattia looks ok (prob too much media too early but he doesn't strike me as being particularly smart). Jiath looks smooth but needs some strength and maturity. Macrae needs a regular go at senior level to make it break it (AFL pies need to stop prioritising the veterans). Bytel can butcher the ball but gets a lot of it at VFL level. Sullivan is a good VFL standard for depth but lacks height and strength to sustain it at AFL level. Markov, don't really know where he's at be we recontracted him.
MSD tall Iliro Smit looks promising but needs time. Richards is our best forward in the VFL and we need to persevere if he wants to.

Parker is the pick of the VFL bunch for me. Showed some good signs after starting the season late converting from cricket. I like the look of Parker and look forward to his improvement with better fitness post his first pre-season. Reminds me a little of the year Tom Langdon came through as a late draft pick and we got slaughtered in his first match at the old telstra dome but he was the one shining light. Parker has shown some great defensive efforts and little attacking cameos. Can't wait to see his improvement.
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark