Post Match. Swans sink Pies - All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

Jezza
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 191 times

Re: Post Match. Swans sink Pies - All comments.

Post by Jezza »

Fly's presser

You look to have the match in the bag early in the last quarter, where did you see it falling apart from there?
"Isaac Heeney. He was pretty special wasn't he? Many parts, but he was amazing. I don't think I've seen a player impact a game like that in a quarter, unbelievable. I think the game is harder than ever to maintain a lead. Watching last week, Essendon did the same thing to Freo and you just go through it. We're having to go through that in the last couple of weeks of being in a position to win the game and then having to hold on. I'm just reflecting myself now without the vision in front of me. You're thinking maybe the method isn't the right one, but this is a competition thing. We started some stuff a couple of years ago that makes it really hard to hold on a lead. If you take enormous risk, and credit to Sydney they really got their game going from contest, and here we are".
You've touched upon having so much success in your time as Collingwood coach with winning those close games. Is there something in particular that might have changed? You were lucky to hold on last week, but this week not so much.
"They're all different situations. Last week it was Patrick Cripps and this week it's Isaac Heeney. Look, there's so many layers to that question. Chasing a lead versus holding onto a lead, I reckon most coaches would be sitting there right now going 'right, what do we need to do different because not many are doing it well?'. Last week we just hung on by fingernails and tonight we didn't. Again, we'll have some reflection around that".
You've taken longer in the rooms after a game than you usually would. Is that part of the devastation of losing a game like that and also what it means to your season overall?
"It hurts, it really hurts. To play well and then let a game go like that, it hurts. I'm sure our fans at home are hurting, and we're no different. We're human. We have emotions to attach to this. It means a lot to a lot of people so we sat and reflected. It doesn't feel comfortable right now sitting in this chair because there's a lot at stake in these games isn't there?"
What did you think of the non-decision with Daniel McStay. Do you think he should have been paid a 50m penalty?
"I reckon if it was at the MCG it would have been paid. There's definitely an advantage for a home crowd. I thought it was a 50m penalty to the letter of the law. I'm sure the AFL will come out and say it's a free kick/50m penalty. There were a lot of deliberates tonight too, that was a bit of a circus. I'm sure they'll come out and justify that too. Umpires don't always get it right, that's fair".
What sort of address can you give to the team after a night like this where you really needed the win to stay in the finals hunt? How do you give that to the team?
"Difficult. Couple of things, we probably share in some inner stuff there. I think when you have a result like that, you speak about a couple of things. We've openly talked about what 'winning' looks like and behaviours like that, and then 'losing behaviours' and I think blame is a real 'losing behaviour' so I'm wrestling with that at the moment. Wrestling with trying to blame others or blame umpires or blame whatever because that's really difficult when you lose. We then talked about other things, good perspective. We had Harvey Harrison who looks like he's done an ACL today in the VFL so it put a bit of perspective on things. We lost a game and it may mean more than that, who knows but we talked a bit about perspective as much as it is hurting us. I've probably shared a bit more than I would like to around those things".
In these close games, you obviously have to do some things right like limiting the Swans ball movement for one. I think Darcy Cameron and Mason Cox were so influential in the air. What sort of role did you see them playing and how did they impact the game?
"We invest a lot in Darcy [Cameron]. We trade Brodie [Grundy] out because we invest in Darcy and then he repays us not only to perform tonight, but he's had an incredible season. He's marking the ball like I've never seen he's marked the ball. We had a game plan around taking the marks away from the Swans and they're very good at that, so to keep them I don't know what they ended up with, but I know at half time they had 25 [marks] so that's a real low number. I know it was a bit slippery, but they had to find another way to beat us and good teams find another way to beat us and they did. I thought we executed our plan for most of the game really well. Again, we sit here hurting because we didn't quite get it done".
On Steele Sidebottom, a really good matchup on Errol Gulden who kept him under control for three quarters before Gulden impacted the game late. How did you see his performance and that matchup as a whole?
"We were rapt with Steele's performance. He's [Gulden] an elite player of the competition. He [Gulden] starts up their ball movement a lot. They him moved around everywhere and he's ended up in the goal square late in the game. I thought Steele was really influential on the game not only stopping one of their best players, but also impacting the game at centre bounces and other parts. It was a terrific performance by him".
Do you think when it came to the crunch, the consequences of losing the game weighed too heavily on the players?
"No, I don't think so. I think we're hurting because maybe there is consequences at the end that may cost us. Time will tell on that. I think we're just hurting because we performed well and let a game slip and didn't adjust and maybe handle moments like we can. I don't know. I just think this competition is such a hard one. There's small margins between everything. The Swans are a very good team, they're sitting on top for a reason. I know their form has slipped away a little bit, but it's very difficult to win away from home against the top team on the table. For most part of the night, we did a lot right and maybe that's what is hurting us the most. We didn't get the job done. Maybe that's why we're hurting".
How do you approach the weekend with your percentage as it is and you wouldn't be too far out of reach to be out of finals contention. Do you watch it as a group or as a team or in small groups?
"We'll just meet back early in the week and get on with it. We can't control what others are doing. You can only control your own destiny, your own behaviours. There's somewhat not an endpoint to that. If we're going to get better everyday, when does that stop? At the end of the home and away season? End of the pre-season? When does that ever stop? We've got a catch cry of 'get better everyday'. It's endless, so we've just got to continue to be that team. Sometimes you fall off the bike and you get up quickly or you fall off and scrape your knee and get up quickly, and other times it might take a day or so because you might have a bigger bruise. I'm hoping that by the time we get to back to work on Monday that we've got a few things that we can keep moving forward with".
You've spoken a few times this year about last year of being at the pinnacle on the top of the mountain. That obviously puts a target on your back with your team being the hunted. Sitting here 22 rounds in, how do you feel the club, the team and even yourself have dealt with that pressure of being targeted?
"It's a challenge to stay on top of the ladder. The Swans are going through that. They've got a long way to go at the minute. It's probably not time to reflect on the whole season yet. There's still 2 more games that we want to do our fans proud in and perform at a higher level. I'm sure at the appropriate time we'll reflect on all those things. The things we can look back on and learn good lessons. This is probably one we're living right now is a really good lesson for us. Where it eventuates and expresses itself in the future, that's the unknown. This competition teaches lots of lessons. It's just whether you're ready to listen to them".

https://www.afl.com.au/video/1191475/fu ... 3211177001
🏆 | 1902 | 1903 | 1910 | 1917 | 1919 | 1927 | 1928 | 1929 | 1930 | 1935 | 1936 | 1953 | 1958 | 1990 | 2010 | 2023 | 🏆
shawthing
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by shawthing »

Piesnchess wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:53 am Both Checkers and a fully fit De Goey, were sorely missed tonight. Irreplaceable, really.
Mate sorry but this is a moot point. Injuries are out of our control. Every team has them to some degree. You can only play who you have available, and they are accountable to the game. But it still doesn't explain how we gave up a five goal lead in 15 minutes of footy to lose the game. The same thing happened last week except for a shanked kick after the siren. The only thing that gives me cold comfort tonight is the Swanettes can't win the flag. They'll be lucky if they don't go out in straight sets.

Mind you, the AFL desperately wants them to win a flag to promote the game in Sydney, so every one of their opponents is going to have to make sure they have a big enough lead so the umpires can't affect the result (like we didn't do tonight). The AFL is corrupt, but they are kidding themselves trying to flog a dead horse in Sydney. Tonight they got about 35K people to the game and half those would have been Pies supporters. The Giants get bugger all to their home games in Sydney. But in Canberra they get really respectable crowds. If the AFL cared they'd move GWS to Canberra tomorrow (because they do have something of an AFL heritage in the ACT and nearby Riverena, Wagga Wagga especially). But Sydney is a waste of space minority sport as far as the NRL loving citizens are concerned. Always will be. With its huge population if the AFL were serious Sydney should have about 300,000 members. They are a joke! But get the complete backing of the corrupt AFL.

And don't worry they'll do everything they can to make sure Tassie wins a flag quickly too.

Collingwood is the AFL cash cow and they take us for granted - in fact they hate us despite all the revenue we produce. I'm 100% serious now: The clubs needs to take back the AFL from its commission. If not, form a breakaway league (like World Series Cricket). Leave the AFL to rot on the vine. It's beyond saving.
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

That last quarter was AwFuL choosing the winner. 25-16 free kicks, and no 50 for McStay ****.

Doesn’t matter, without Jordy, checkersetc we are toast for finals anyway.
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
Haff
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 39 times

Post by Haff »

HH doing his ACL and season over from what should have been an unloseable position. Nightmare.
Will be a sense of relief when this shit show is done for the year.
The match day thread is for unfiltered BS knee jerk reactions. The time for level headed comment comes after.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

shawthing wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 12:49 am
No Lazza. It's a fair question. I don't think choke is the right word though. I think it's that they've been trained to lock down games and win the close ones. Only problem this year is that they have been trying to do this too far out from the final siren. The best way to finish off teams is to keep kicking goals. We slammed the breaks on far too early, and also missed some sitters in the process. Lipinski's stuff up when he fumbled away a certain run into goal was probably the straw that broke us.[/quote]

Thanks. Your reply makes sense of why we lost. I would also add Schultz’s unforgivable miss from right in front as a significant factor. It frustrates me no end to see such easy misses 😩 😖
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
Big T
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times

Post by Big T »

Enjoyed the presser. He was finally human. We needed to see that.
Buon Giorno
slangman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by slangman »

Piesnchess wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:57 pm
Haff wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 11:15 pm WHE is an interesting one when you see the footage on the blocks etc. Schultz has to do more. Ginni was a match winner, Schultz is not.

Schultz will be a better player next season , I reckon, it takes awhile to settle in to a new club
I totally disagree with you about Schultz.
I’m not sure how settling in to a new club can miraculously improve his height, speed, kicking (especially goal kicking) and overall influence on a game.

Many on here criticise Noble for his shortcomings but imho I think he is no worse than Schultz.
Let’s also not forget that Noble was a
Mid season pick and would must probably be on substantially less money than Schultz.
- Side By Side -
TassiePie1990

Post by TassiePie1990 »

Mason Cox rucking by himself with a minute to go in the forward pocket & hitting it to Sydney….. what the
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

Feeling a sh.t tonne of pain. Was at the game. The boys tried so hard. Genuinely think it’s a miracle how well they held the ship together this year with the injury cards dealt us. Really appreciate Fly’s rawness. Helps actually. Anyone who thinks umpiring didn’t massively impact this game is delusional. They aren’t an excuse. They are the reason. The swans were holding on, and then soft decision after shit decision over and over just halted momentum and gave them breathing space - the deliberate calls were absurd. It actually felt that if we touched the ball near the boundary they would pay a free against us no matter what. Gutted. And I appreciate the characters and personalities on this board. And the camaraderie. Keep well Lazza, Pienschess, Dave, et. al. I think that young ruck kid we picked up is going to be a gem. Looking forward to next year already and I take joy in the fact that we aren’t Carlton.
Dispatches from a foreign land
Pete 70
Been liked: 15 times

Post by Pete 70 »

Oh and QldM and Warburton and and and - love you all
Dispatches from a foreign land
neil
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 21 times

Post by neil »

Injuries defined this season
JDG or Mihocek in would have helped especially Checkers we really need a quality KPF
Pity they are so difficult to recruit
To the match how do you give up a 5 goal lead with 10 minutes to go?
Some of those out there dont belong at that level yet Long etc
Players need to be trained/learn not to kick ball off the ground near the boundary
It is still a stupid rule
Schultz is not the problem he is still second in the clubs goal kicking
A tall that can kick goals would help
Carlscum 120 years being cheating scum
Collingwouldn't
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Game On! Pies v. Swans. Updates, all comments.

Post by Collingwouldn't »

Haff wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:55 pm Well take it but that’s rubbish! Shouldn’t get a second goal for that.
Here in polite society, we don't admit these things. Got it?
ANNODAM
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by ANNODAM »

I take heart that ESS will probably also miss Finals.
HAW will most likely make it, which makes me utterly sick to the core knowing Ginni will be playing in September in those hideous colours.

So for me, as long as the WB & Carlton get eliminated then I’ll be happy.

But my disappointment has hit an all time low in 2024, finishing as low as we have & not having a top 10 draft pick fkn hurts.
WE WERE ROBBED, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME, RIGHT IN FRONT OF MEEE!

N.Y METS, N.Y GIANTS, PENRITH PANTHERS & HOBART HURRICANES FAN.

WE ALL LOOK GOOD AT TRAINING, IT'S THE MATCHES THAT COUNT!
think positive
Has liked: 212 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by think positive »

Ah well, go Storm!
You cant fix stupid, turns out you cant quarantine it either!
RudeBoy
Been liked: 73 times

Post by RudeBoy »

I needed to wait a night before posting as I was too pissed off last night.

TBH, as bad as the umpiring was, and our missing JDG, Mitchell and Checkers, we lost this game because we lack real depth in the midfield. Letting the Swans dominate centre clearances in the last quarter, as we did with Carlton last week, was the result of this glaring weakness in our side. Nick Daicos was brilliant in the first half, but when heavily tagged, we had no-one else to give us the spark and energy required to control the midfield. As good as Pendles was last week, he no longer seems to be able to have a great game in consecutive weeks.

I also think Fly made a mistake not bringing on Richards to give us some fresh legs in the last quarter. As I feared, a lot was asked of Lipinski, but he let us down badly again. I hate to say it, but despite his skills and endurance, he plays scared.

A big, big congratulations to Cameron, who must be a real chance to win the Copeland this year. He was magnificent, and was well supported by Cox, in marking around the ground.

When the dust has settled on this season, Fly needs to examine why there was such a dramatic fall off in performance from our captain and IQ this year.

Last year we won the flag after adding 4 new players to our team in Hill, McStay, Markov and Frampton. This year the additions last night were Bytel, Schultz and Long. Neither of them look like being successful players for us, except maybe Schultz.

I won't talk about the brilliance of Sidey last night, as I'm sure QM67 will have plenty to say on this matter.

At least I can relax now, not having to worry about September. Next year hopefully we'll have far fewer injuries and possibly the emergence of some young guns in Allan, DeMattia, Smit, Richards and TJ.