Pre-Match. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Match previews, reviews, reports and discussion.

Moderator: bbmods

qldmagpie67
Been liked: 74 times

Re: Pre-Match. Magpies v. Lions. All comments.

Post by qldmagpie67 »

I’m not blaming the coach for the position we are in now
Our injuries to key planks in our structure has been well noted all season
My only whack at him (and the selection committee) is the following
They bring a young player up to the AFL be it for a injury replacement or on form
But we then either play them out of there preferred position or they get absolute limited minutes
I feel our development (or lack there of) of the young players hasn’t set them up to be the best they can be. Surely out of all the young ones we’ve played this season (Parker Macrae Long Bytel Harrison Richards Dean Allan McInnes Johnson TJ) there would be at 2 who could have impressed enough to be a regular selection in there preferred position in the AFL.
It’s not like any of our senior players have had stellar seasons and demanded automatic selection every week.
I think we are sending the complete wrong message to the younger players
If you play poorly out of position or don’t do the things we need then your back to the VFL but if your a veteran and have a poor game and don’t do what is required by the team your position is safe.
There hasn’t been integrity at the selection table.
We all understand the kids won’t come in and be automatic stars they’ll take time and have ups and downs and need to work on some of those back in the VFL. But looking from the outside in they are held to a different standard to the veteran players.
When was the last time Fly made a statement at the selection table on a veteran player ? Crisp as sub against Lions in like round 4 ?
There’s been several games when a veteran player has played very poorly and younger player has played only ok but the kid gets demoted and the veteran is safe.
Fly seems to have a very big soft spot for veterans which is fine if there performing at a level each and every week that befits there position in the team.
That hasn’t been the case this season
I keep saying it
How do we know what the kids will do if we don’t bring them up when there high on confidence and play them in there correct position and give them continuity of games (4/5 games in a row) and tell them hey your here for the next month I need you to do XYZ for the team each week do that and you’ll be picked every week going forward
Development is a 2 way street kids have to work hard and learn from mistakes but coaches are supposed to reward that hard work and performance with opportunity
Rd10.1998_11.1#36
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Rd10.1998_11.1#36 »

I can understand that we want to shore up the defence against Brisbane but gee it's a bit stiff to be dropped after playing 45 seconds... lucky we offered him a new contract during the week or the poor bloke would be shattered
Bucks5
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times

Post by Bucks5 »

Joe Richards didn't accept our contract offer and the club is not interested in developing him for Port Adelaide.
How would Siri know when to answer "Hey Siri" unless it is listening in to everything you say?
RudeBoy
Been liked: 70 times

Post by RudeBoy »

Bucks5 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 6:37 am Joe Richards didn't accept our contract offer and the club is not interested in developing him for Port Adelaide.
That's how I read it as well. :(
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

If this is true, I think it’s a poor outcome for the player, the Pies and the fans. Either way I wish Joe best wishes for whatever happens next and hope the speculation is wrong, that he signs a new pies contract and excels into the playing 22 in 2025
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:28 am Lucky we offered him a new contract during the week or the poor bloke would be shattered
We may have offered one. But he has yet to accept, and he is looking at rival offers atm before deciding.
lazzadesilva
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by lazzadesilva »

LOL moment for Nicksters 😆 I have a feeling that Collingwood finally playing without intensive pressure to make finals, will actually be able to retain or gain a lead in the last quarter tomorrow and win the game. It’s been that kind of a season where predictable outcomes are not realised and unlikely results happen. So my neck is out under the sword 🗡️
I term the current Collingwood attack based strategy “Unceasing Waves” like on a stormy and windy day with rough seas. A Perfect Storm ☔️
piedys
Has liked: 281 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by piedys »

lazzadesilva wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 4:25 pm ..... So my neck is out under the sword 🗡️
Shove over; room for two!
M I L L A N E 4 2 forever
piedys

Re: Pre-Match. Pies v. Bears. All comments.

Post by piedys »

Piesnchess wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:00 pm ... I recall the night, Daicos senior, kicked 14 goals against them, up at Carrawa ground, Qld.
He kicked them on John Gastev, a former eagle, and apologized to him, after his 14th goal.
Great memory that one !
He kicked 13 goals.

Stop exagerating. :P
warburton lad
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 46 times

Post by warburton lad »

The irony in winning tomorrow afternoon is that it might actually help Carlton get into the eight- not an outcome I would welcome personally...

It would appear given that we have basically signed all of our over-30 gang for next year is that there will be one last roll of the dice.

The salary cap available post 2025 will be considerable it would seem.

From 2023 list we have lost: Ginnivan, Adams, Murphy, Carmichael, Kelly, Ruscoe and added : Schultz, Jiath, Demattea, Sullivan, Bytel, Long... We are weaker as a result- at least in the short-term...

Floreat Pica.
Firm in the belief that number 17 flag is only months away...
piedys

Post by piedys »

warburton lad wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 7:39 pm The irony in winning tomorrow afternoon is that it might actually help Carlton get into the eight- not an outcome I would welcome personally...
In a ridiculous perfect scenario, they would finish say 7th, and play 6th place Whorethorn for another shellacking.

Weird thing is, the teams finishing 5th, 6th, or 7th, are the ones who have our measure.

Team finishing 4th, 3rd, 2nd or 1st [interstate based] - I feel are all gettable on the day, BUT the first hurdle might prove too steep...