The Coach

The home of conversation about our Reserves team - the second best men's team in the world!

Moderator: bbmods

SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

The Coach

Post by SLORT »

So, any thoughts on how Josh Fraser has coached this year?
LaurieHolden
Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 134 times

Re: The Coach

Post by LaurieHolden »

I would have thought the list disruption through injury to his and the senior side has proved problematic for continuity. He's developing a nice CV all the same, and perhaps one for a senior coaching berth in a few years. I'd really like to see him in the seniors coaching box as an assistant at some stage.
It's difficult to provide an accurate assessment unless we know what the objective the Club set down for his coaching. i.e. it's just not about winning games.
He's had rotations into the senior ranks of Allan, Bytel, Dean, Harrison, Jew, Johnson, Long, McInnes, Macrae, Richards, Parker, Sullivan in and out of his side. While they're not VFL listed, he wouldn't have had the coaching continuity of any of those when they've trained with the senior squad.
Have you @SLORT watched enough games for an objective assessment? I've watched at least 6, but it's always hard looking down a TV camera view of the game. @Dark Beanie might like to add her 2bobs worth, she perhaps follows it more closely than most.
"The Club's not Jock, Ted and Gerry" (& Eddie)
2023 AFL Premiers
SLORT
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 60 times

Post by SLORT »

LaurieHolden wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 12:28 pm Have you watched enough games for an objective assessment?
To be honest that's why I threw the question out there. Looking back over his previous record with the Bullants and now with us I was just wondering how his CV was stacking up. Watching the few games I've seen I'm also questioning how much of his own stamp he is being able to apply to the team (ie, being told who to play where and when, team style, etc) and how much is being driven from above. I personally would like to see our seniors and our reserves play a similar styles of footy to help with player transitions, but I also realize that becoming predictable by showing all your cards as a team is also an issue. I also agree that the role needs to be broadened into an assistant on game days (where possible) or as say forwards coach, which for me would make more sense than Selwood who should be midfield tactics. Just a bit worried that there is a bit of a disconnect developing, but yeah, hopefully someone who follows it closer than I do can give me a better insight.
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »

Andy Otten is set to take over for 2025.

Unsure whether Fraser is staying at the club or not.
The Black and White Lion
Has liked: 178 times
Been liked: 65 times

Post by The Black and White Lion »

Oh really, Andy Otten ok.

I think Josh had a hard year with all the injuries and players moving up and down. We’ve all observed that in the VFL match threads. I’ve watched a couple of the matches in full and quite a few half games this year.

I think Josh’s results were best early (first 4 weeks and last 4 weeks) and horrible in the middle so there is a fair correlation with the afl injuries. No doubt the 4 wins were highlights, with a couple of quarters against Essendon VFl and the last against Frankston standing out.

On Josh’s coaching I struggled to understand his tactics for most of that middle part of the season. Playing Glover as the sole KD under siege for most of the games doesn’t sit well for me. The lack of genuine ruck support for the team was another rod for our back. Second use of the ball and then we were only ever counter attacking against the flow. You could see the players tire, make constant skill and decision errors under pressure and the ball barely made it to the wings / hf area in our hands. Lots of repeat long kicks and dump kicks to congestion on the wings doesn’t make sense to me.

The change in tactics late with more direct kicking was a huge and resulted in a change in fortunes is my mind. I don’t think this was personnel either, just organisation and execution.

The vfl listed players were the other rod for our back in my mind. Too many small bodies, plodders or skinny fast and light runners without footy skills and nouse. These attributes are what makes the tactics even more puzzling for me. We didn’t stack the back line to let the fast runners run onto or with the ball. We stacked the mid and forwards who weren’t getting it.

All in all it’s a VFL record to forget, unfortunate for Josh given the upside at the start of the year.

If Josh remains, Andy or another comes in I think they would struggle equally with the injury and lack ruck front but you have to coach the cattle you’ve got, see Richmond who arguably were worse off than the pies for longer yet made the wildcard round.

Josh has to work on his tactics and freedom from AFL coaches to go forward in the VFl
Ed Allen kicked our last goal of the year at the 58minute mark
Jen2310
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 54 times

Post by Jen2310 »